Bus Model numbers

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Found an interesting one, seems in the mid 80's Merc came out with a chassi with the model number O402, it's basically a piecart/MAN toy. I guess they only sold them to Berlin?

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... n%26sa%3DN
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Can anyone explain what the difference between a Custom Coaches 510 and 516 body is?

With that front, I can see four different varities of this frontal design:
- Low floor (e.g. Kangaroo Bus Lines, QLD)
- Citybus (e.g. Westbus O405s)
- Medium height front (e.g. Buslink m/o 4094 Hino RG230)
- High front (e.g. MO 4298 at Marshall's, Moruya)

Ben
Windy

Post by Windy »

510 has the bonded curved windscreen. The 516 has the flat rubber mounted windscreens (ie the Ex N&W and ex Baxter's O.405s, Shorelink and ex Baxters O.400s, etc.) There is another code for the flat windscreen like those on the Volvo B6RLEs at Hunter Valley Buses.
EK200
Favourite Vehicle: Hino BG300

Post by EK200 »

:evil: your joking

:arrow: were buses designed for the road or rails"
MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

Post by MAN 16.242 »

can any one tell what the differnt leteers on the elwoods stand.
e.g.Elwood HBA.what does the leteers afther elwood stand for :?:
The fat controller

Post by The fat controller »

I remember B10M Volgrens with greyhound, however they had rear engines. Were they repositioned???
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

The fat controller wrote:I remember B10M Volgrens with greyhound, however they had rear engines. Were they repositioned???
Wouldnt that make them Volvo B10B buses??
The fat controller

No, the complience plate stated B10M They were single deck and double deckers
Simes

Post by Simes »

I think they were called B10MC's? I recall there being discussion about these coaches a while back....

Windy

Post by Windy »

Yeah, these were an odd-ball. I remember a fitter formerly from Greyhound telling me that the Volvo engines were mounted horizontally and when they got re-powered with GMs, they wanted to have them mounted vertically, but he left before they actually re-engined them, so he wasn't sure whether that actually happened... would have cost alot of $$$ to change the mounting brackets, etc.
The fat controller

They did repower most of the Double deckers with 6v92 DDEC2's and ZF autos. They were unerpowered to buggery. Engine overheated up hils and gearbox overheated down hills because the retarder worked overtime.
The Volvo engines initially were a dry sump with an oil sight glass on the side, you simply looked at the glass and could check oil level. Actually not a bad idea! But they were absolute pigs to drive ( Deckers)
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

They all started out as B10M's, but Volgren Qld did a bit of cutting to the chassis to put in some thru bins, and passenger aisles. This was all looking terrific, but then they realised they needed to put the motor somewhere and the back looked a great place for it to go!

Volvo were not keen to make and send a rear engine coach to Australia, this is why Volgren had to make these mods to the B10M, they got approval for them from Volvo much later. Greyhound had several different designed bodies built by Volgren all with rear engine.

After Volgren Qld had closed, the B10C Prototype (now with Sheldon College Bris) was then manufactured at Wacol from (around 1989) however they were not that popular. Assembly stopped when the B12 came on line in 92. The Aust prototype is still with I believe Porrt Stephens.
VQ
Favourite Vehicle: Anything but a MAN!

Re:

Post by VQ »

boronia wrote:Re Scanias:

The first trucks released here in the 60s were Model 80, not sure if the 0 was a predecessor to the 1,2,3,4 series. I don't think any buses came here in that era.

Confusingly the current 124 series can be specced with a 11 litre or 12 litre engine, there is no 114 model.
I've seen a 114 truck though....
Windy

Re: Bus Model numbers

Post by Windy »

The Greyhound Scanias with Mills-Tui bodywork are on a Scania K114IB chassis.
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Re:

Post by CB80 »

Windy wrote:HOCL = Hochboden Linienbus (high-floor rear engined buses)
A lot of the latest MAN's are coded HOCL-NL, for example 18.280 HOCL-NL. Does that mean it is technically coded as a rear engine high floor low entry?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Yes.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

I think I may have posted this before, but I cannot find the post so here goes...

MAN Engine Designations

PREFIXES
All engine designations start with a single-letter prefix denoting engine type (i.e. fuel type).
D = Dieselmotor
E = Erdgasmotor (natural-gas engine)
G = (Flüssig)Gasmotor (LP-gas engine)
H = Hydrogen (Wasserstoff) motor

ENGINE DESCRIPTION
First two digits represents the cylinder bore diameter minus 100 (e.g. 2066 has 120mm bore, 2866 has 128mm bore)
Third digit represents stroke (someone let me know how this works - 2066 has 155mm stroke, 2876 has 166mm stroke)
Fourth digit represents the number of cylinders (0834 has 4 cylinders, 2066 has 6 cylinders)

SUFFIXES
All engine designations have a two-part suffix. The first part consists of a string of letters and denotes cylinder orientation (i.e. vertical or horizontal), intended application (i.e. front/rear installation, underfloor) and induction method (i.e. aspirated, turbo, turbo/intercooled). The second part consists of two digits and denotes engine variant. There seems to be no rhyme or rhythm to the last part of the suffix.
D = Naturally-aspirated engine
L = Ladaluftkühlung (turbocharged and charge-air cooled engine)
T = Turboaufladung (turbocharged engine without charge-air cooling)
O = Vertical engine for buses and coaches (Omnibusse)
U = For Underfloor installation on buses and coaches
F = For Front-engined applications on trucks, buses and coaches
H = Horizontal cylinders

EXAMPLES

D 2066 LOH 01: 6-cylinder diesel engine, 120mm x 155mm, turbocharged/intercooled with vertical cylinders for installation on buses or coaches, 320 PS

E 2876 LUH 02: 6-cylinder natural-gas engine, 128mm x 166mm, turbocharged/intercooled with horizontal cylinders for underfloor installation on buses or coaches, 310 PS

D 0834 LFL 50: 4-cylinder diesel engine, 108mm x 125mm, turbocharged/intercooled with vertical cylinders for installation at the front of a chassis on trucks, buses or coaches, 150 PS

Regards,
Dave
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Re: Model numbers

Post by huppypuppy »

Deano wrote: Scania 113, comes in the L and K series. L113's are usually for citybuses, and K113's for Coaches/School Buses. 11 = 11 litre, and 3 = series 3. (3rd Generation of Scania Engine?). Likely, Scania 94, 9 Litre, series 4. and so on.
Deano,

The 3 and 4 at the end of Scania's model #'s denotes the chassis generation, NOT the engine generation!

Scania had 9 and 11 litre engines in the 3 Series chassis and 9, 11 and 12 litre engines in the 4 Series chassis!

Joe
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
B7RLE
Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Post by B7RLE »

At work we have a list of buses in our fleet and there a new Volvo coach which has its model as the B7RSA does any one know what the SA means? :?

Thanks in advance.
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Re: Re:

Post by huppypuppy »

VQ wrote:
boronia wrote:Re Scanias:

The first trucks released here in the 60s were Model 80, not sure if the 0 was a predecessor to the 1,2,3,4 series. I don't think any buses came here in that era.

Confusingly the current 124 series can be specced with a 11 litre or 12 litre engine, there is no 114 model.
I've seen a 114 truck though....
Boronia,

There is a 114 in the buses and coaches - the truck engine is the same as the engine in the buses and coaches!

Joe
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

Would anyone know what HB stands for with a Scania F94HB?
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
bonbonizer69

Re:

Post by bonbonizer69 »

EK200 wrote::evil: your joking

:arrow: were buses designed for the road or rails"
ROFL. Buses were designed for road-rails :))
Windy

Post by Windy »

Sorry mate... not entirely sure on what the Csepel designations are.
johnson01

Post by johnson01 »

courtesy of the Hino Malaysia website, the Hino RK and AK chassis is still under production! I believe it was first introduced in the late 1970s, and it is still produced in Malaysia, under licence. Perhaps this might make it the longest time a chassis has been produced?
Simes

Post by Simes »

Going off the Veolia bunch, there are two 844.03's and 7 of the 844.19's - although possibly the .03's are early versions of the .19's?

Return to “General Transport Discussion”