MCW PDR 1/1 Atlantean bound for restoration

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
fearnes3848

MCW PDR 1/1 Atlantean bound for restoration

Post by fearnes3848 »

Last Saturday we travelled over to Cootamundra with our mate Stevie who has been a major part of the restoration of 1016 to have a look at a 1963 Metro Cammell Weymann (MCW) PDR 1/1 Leyland Atlantean. It was originally built for Merrysdie Transport in the UK and was then imported into Australia in 1977 and begun service for Eggins Comfort Coaches Taree as MO3242. It was resold to Sugar Valley in 1991 as m/o 011, it was then sold to Toronto Bus Service in 1998 as m/o 8413 and then to Pertoni Investments as ACT rego m/o 70. It has been sitting in Coota for a few years now, the owner was planning to turn it into a party bus or something but he found another MCW Atlantean which was already decked out and he decided to use this one for parts for it. But as of now it belongs to Steve North who will be restoring it to its former glory :D I think he is planning on painting it blue like a Brittish type livery. It starts and the engine runs well and it has an awsome exhaust note because it only has one muffler however it is stuck in 4th gear due to alot of moisture and rust in the gearbox. We had it towed to his parents property 30km's away in Coolac where most of the work will be done.

Bus Riders
Favourite Vehicle: Why, m/o156 of course!

Re: MCW PDR 1/1 Atlantean bound for restoration

Post by Bus Riders »

:wink: It would be terrific to see this one back in Sugar Valley colours. It did carry an all over ad fo Edgeworth McDonalds for quite some time but was painted in SVC livery shortly before the business was sold. The paint job was done with rollers and house paint!

The engine chassis number will not match the original bus as I replaced it after a serious rear ender with the chassis section from a Sydney Atlantean ex Toronto Bus. m/o3535 ran into the rear at Edgeworth causing quite some damage. If it has the same O/S bustle you will see the amont of bog therein!
A Red and Cream with emerald green lining Coachmaster bodied AEC Reliance AH 505, ahhh, now there's a real bus!
fearnes3848

Post by fearnes3848 »

Bus Riders wrote::wink: It would be terrific to see this one back in Sugar Valley colours. It did carry an all over ad fo Edgeworth McDonalds for quite some time but was painted in SVC livery shortly before the business was sold. The paint job was done with rollers and house paint!

The engine chassis number will not match the original bus as I replaced it after a serious rear ender with the chassis section from a Sydney Atlantean ex Toronto Bus. m/o3535 ran into the rear at Edgeworth causing quite some damage. If it has the same O/S bustle you will see the amont of bog therein!
Very interesting, yes we did notice that the bustle was pretty rough and the rear bumper looked like it had a few hits and and bends in it, does anyone have a photo of a Suger Valley Atlantean preferably this one :D
panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

Post by panther998 »

fearnes3848 wrote:It was originally built for Merrysdie Transport in the UK and was then imported into Australia in 1977 and began service for Eggins Comfort Coaches Taree as MO3242.
It was actually one of 200 such Atlanteans supplied new to Liverpool Corporation Transport in 1962-64, and passed to the Merseyside PTE (Passenger Transport Executive) in 1969.

Better keep its existence secret from UK Liverpudlians / Beatles fans - they will want it back to restore into Liverpool Corp livery !!
mttuk

Post by mttuk »

Glad to see L554 is going into restoration in Oz (thanks to Ian Kerr in Perth for his mail)

Nice to see how basically complete it still is.

If you need colour codes for Liverpool or Merseyside PTE green liveries let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need to know anything further on the vehicle email me info@mttrust.co.uk

Sister vehicle L501 now preserved for 26 years was very busy at our Annual running day last sunday

Heres a pic of L501 with Jumbo PDR2/1 no 1111 following at link http://stevekempbuses.fotopic.net/p53702178.html

regards from Sunny Liverpool yes it was 20c today! Rob http://www.mttrust.co.uk
Windy

Post by Windy »

The Atlantean would look good in Sugar Valley or Toronto livery... Toronto had quite a number of Atlanteans, some of the ex Sydney units would have served at Toronto longer than they did in government service!
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

I wouldn't mind seeing this Atlantean in the Sugar Valley livery also I notice the headlining/ceiling is starting to fall off in the upper deck maybe new panels are needed altogether.
User xxx

Post by User xxx »

I have a picture of merseyside atlantean l666 entering pier head on route 82C liverpool when it was new in 1965 the bus you got is the same as the one I have got in the picture they had two air vents under the front windscreen which your bus is missing one they had a spotlight under the left hand headlight which must of removed before coming to australia it had split deso boxes with the route number box above a route number box above the first window near the front door and a route number box at the rear below the number plate just below the upper deck window I think your bus would look good back in merseyside green which would of been painted in when new but if you what at your bus sister buses the magazine I got with l666 in it is called classic bus a excellent read this issue august-september classic bus have email address prebusps@aol.com route660.
Bus Riders
Favourite Vehicle: Why, m/o156 of course!

Post by Bus Riders »

:roll: Not all that sure that this vehicle ever carried Toronto colours. Toronto's DD's were ex UTA Atlanteans.

I will hunt up a couple of photos for you. Send me your e-mail address.
A Red and Cream with emerald green lining Coachmaster bodied AEC Reliance AH 505, ahhh, now there's a real bus!
exbusdriver
Favourite Vehicle: PMC RG197 M/o 7553

Post by exbusdriver »

This vehicle never saw toronto livery it was sold very shortly after Toronto takeover.

If busrider is who i think he his, there should be a picture of it hanging in the SVC office.
ex Sonters Travelways ex Sugar Valley Coachlines ex Toronto Bus Service ex premier motor service current cavanaghs
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

exbusdriver wrote:This vehicle never saw toronto livery it was sold very shortly after Toronto takeover.

If busrider is who i think he his, there should be a picture of it hanging in the SVC office.
You mean Bus Riders.........
steveLpool

Post by steveLpool »

Hello,
I'm writing from England where this Leyland Atlantean is originally from.I am Chairman of the Merseyside Transport Trust and in our collection of preserved buses we have another of the same batch ( L501 ).On a visit to Australia in April 1987 I caught up with the exported L554 in its home depot in Taree when it was about to leave on the afternoon school run to Old Bar.This was when it was owned by Eggins who looked after the bus very well by all accounts for more than a decade. I'm planning another trip to NSW next January and I would like if at all possible to arrange to see the bus and pass some photographs of it to its current owner. Hope you can help.
Cheers,Steve
Ribble
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance /Leyland Olympian

Post by Ribble »

I used to drive them in Liverpool in the 1960/70's. I saw this bus parked up in North West Canberra in January 2005.

Don in NZ.
Ribble

Post by Ribble »

steveLpool wrote:Hello,
I'm writing from England where this Leyland Atlantean is originally from.I am Chairman of the Merseyside Transport Trust and in our collection of preserved buses we have another of the same batch ( L501 ).On a visit to Australia in April 1987 I caught up with the exported L554 in its home depot in Taree when it was about to leave on the afternoon school run to Old Bar.This was when it was owned by Eggins who looked after the bus very well by all accounts for more than a decade. I'm planning another trip to NSW next January and I would like if at all possible to arrange to see the bus and pass some photographs of it to its current owner. Hope you can help.
Cheers,Steve

Steve........I got your email through this Group and replied through this group.

Just in case......can you contact me direct on Ribble@xtra.co.nz please......

Don
Ribble

Post by Ribble »

Does anyone know the current location of a similar Atlantean to L554, that is ex LCPT L601 which was at one stage with Port MacQuarie buses...???/
fitto55

Post by fitto55 »

Hi- does anybody know where this bus is now? Or any other Similar 60s Atlanteans? I know of Big Bob in Newcastle, and am chasing any others. Thanks.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

far as I know its still in the riverena ! :roll:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
fitto55

Post by fitto55 »

Thanks for that. Let me know if you know of any (or this one) for sale :) Cheers.
fitto55

Post by fitto55 »

This is the bus in Sugar Valley Livery.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-8383

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”