Trams out to pasture - Mystery R car

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Ben P

Trams out to pasture - Mystery R car

Post by Ben P »

Does anybody know what number this R car is at Kenthurst?
Tram1.JPG
Tram2.JPG
Tram4.JPG
Last edited by T1200 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon added to post!
Dave Wilson

Re: Trams out to pasture - Mystery R car

Post by Dave Wilson »

This tram is a mystery. I'd say it has been relocated from somewhere else. There was an R (1833) supposedly in a backyard in Whitehaven Rd Northmead but it had dissappeared by the late 60s.People in a house nearby said,that in fact, it had been carted away soon after it got there.

Similarly there were two Rs at the Rudolf Steiner school at Castle Hill which were removed about 1970.One was 1865 but I have forgotten the other. They were in very good order but the head teacher would not let on what really happened to them. It could be one of those.

Needs someone to pay a visit to it.
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Post by leopard1543 »

When was this photo taken :?: The tram looks in such good condition :!:
Bring back the Leopards!
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

was it one of the ones from oakhill colleage at castle hill?????????????????
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Come to think of it, it could be R 1841 from Oak Hill College.Although it had whiteants in one end and was stripped heavily of fittings, I think it was subsequently acquired by somebody as a tennis shed nor something in the early 90s.I think that might be it.
Ben P

Post by Ben P »

It does look in reasonably good condition from a distance. The above photos were taken on Sunday.
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

1841 was ratted for parts, 1796 was with 1865 both burnt 6\69, 1833 burnt 6\77. The list of posables in the ares not listed as burnt are - 1871, 1818, 1792, 1882 & 1829. All are noted in Gross vale, Rouse hill & Colo area and not noted as burnt or disposed of.
In the words of a "highly succesful bus operator", I choose to be a winner and not a loser! I am now winning!!
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Post by leopard1543 »

mosman was wrote:1841 was ratted for parts, 1796 was with 1865 both burnt 6\69, 1833 burnt 6\77. The list of posables in the ares not listed as burnt are - 1871, 1818, 1792, 1882 & 1829. All are noted in Gross vale, Rouse hill & Colo area and not noted as burnt or disposed of.
Can't be 1792 as that was noted at Colo (5/5/91) split in ½ and built into a house + I think it's still there. (1949 was also on the same property).
Bring back the Leopards!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

The Bruce Pinnell records are not strictly correct about 1865 and 1796. The head teacher said (and I was standing next to Bruce at the time) that they were 'down the back' and that we could not have parts off them because they had been given to someone.They were in excellent condition suggesting that somebody wanted them for re-use. Its possible they were broken up, I suppose, but I think they were relocated because there's no way you would have burnt anything as big as a tram at that place.Half of West Pennant Hills would have burnt down had they been burnt on the site.

1833 was never sighted by anybody and had dissappeared by Ca 1961.

1829 was definitely broken up

Trams at Grose Vale were there a year ago.

The Kenthurst tram needs to be seen to establish its provenance.
Ben P

Post by Ben P »

Dave Wilson wrote:Trams at Grose Vale were there a year ago.

The Kenthurst tram needs to be seen to establish its provenance.
Are any photos available of the Grose Vale trams?
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

Thanx David, get a location and let's go! I am all for it to be formally identified a.s.a.p. My listings have [mine & Bruces] now been cross-referenced with you and others and we are all out of suspects. Let's go!
Last edited by mosman was on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the words of a "highly succesful bus operator", I choose to be a winner and not a loser! I am now winning!!
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

I have 1833 listed as " Mr Sawrence,motel at Forbes" sold 22\8\59.
1829 listed "Mr Ferry at Rouse Hill" sold 24\8\60.
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

leopard1543 wrote:
mosman was wrote:1841 was ratted for parts, 1796 was with 1865 both burnt 6\69, 1833 burnt 6\77. The list of posables in the ares not listed as burnt are - 1871, 1818, 1792, 1882 & 1829. All are noted in Gross vale, Rouse hill & Colo area and not noted as burnt or disposed of.
Can't be 1792 as that was noted at Colo (5/5/91) split in ½ and built into a house + I think it's still there. (1949 was also on the same property).
Thanx "1543', will update. One of few I have not seen!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Actually the surprising thing is that 1833 was a donated tram. It went to a Reverend Lawrence and was for a very short time at Whitehaven Rd Northmead - as I said previously.It dissappeared very early, like within a year or so of arriving at NMead. I have never heard of a Forbes reference for this car but perhaps it ended up there. As far as I can see it's fate is still somewhat of a mystery.

I'm surprised you don't remember the saga of 1841 at Oak Hill College. It was certainly a wreck after it was stripped etc, but I am fairly certain that it was acquired as a pool side shed or tennis shed or something in the 1990s. Anyway the Kenthurst car bears checking out in case it is something quite unknown.
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

This is a great find Ben P after every one has assumed no more trams were around to be discovered after over fourty seven years since they were disposed of, not even the eagle eyes of 'Dave Wilson' and 'mosman was' ferreting this one out .
If it has been there since disposal, it has had some dedicated workers to keep it in this reasonable condition, even the roof which is very vunerable looks to be covered in some extra material which looks to be either metal or Malthoid.
All we need now is someone to solve the identity and history of this mystery R car.
WBC

Post by WBC »

Red and Cream, do you have any other photos of trams on properties?
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

WBC wrote:Red and Cream, do you have any other photos of trams on properties?
Yes, but they will have to wait for a while as it is time to move onto a new subject. :)
WBC

Post by WBC »

Did this mystery ever get solved...?

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”