Trams out to pasture.

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Red and Cream

Trams out to pasture.

Post by Red and Cream »

Some time ago there was a series of posts about bus graveyards and abandoned buses found by various board members( come on bus hunters we havn't seen any of your recent finds :) ) so here are a few photos of trams which were retired to suburbia.

OP 1089 in use as a shop at Maroota on 2nd June 1957. Most of these trams gradually fall into ruin after a number of years of outside storage but for 1089 the fate which befalls most of these cars did not occur as it was saved by the Sydney Tram Museum and at the moment its restoration is nearing completion and hopefully it will return to running order in the near future.

LP 378 is near the point of collapse in this view ( wouldn't the orange jacket brigade of today be horrified at this sight :lol: ) at the football ground in Broadmeadow on 10/8/58. There were 3 other LP cars also in various states of dilapidation being used as shelters here, they being 140,311 and 345.

C 91 does not look in much better condition than the LP in the last shot, in its after life as a chicken shed at Kellyville on 17/12/58. I sometimes drive past this spot today and marvel at the change that has occurred there and smile to my self as i visualize that chicken shed there.

N 714 in Rickard Rd. Berowra, looks to have a chicken house theme as well and is being guarded by a ferocious looking hound on 19/12/58. The N seems to be in quite good condition.

I was lucky enough to have a list of all the O class disposals given to me by Norm Boxall and chased up as many as i could. I was surprised to find on his list two which were near each other at Belrose and not being that far from were i lived at Willoughby at the time i hopped on my trusty Malvern Star bike ( my only form of transport at the time apart from bus/tram/train.) and hot footed it over there( or would that be hot pedalled :) ) and found 1090 on one side of Forest Way and 1023 on the other.

On a trip to St. Mary's on 27/3/59 these two E cars 513 and 585 were found abandoned in the bush.

This Department of Recreation camp at Myuna Bay, was an amazing site as they nine LP trams set up as bunk houses for children on vacation camps. The LP's were 240,242,281,300,339,353,355,368 and 394. Photographed on 17/5/59.

P cars did not sell very well and were few and far between however 1722 was one of four trams at Glenfield Park School , the others being O 1359, PR1 1573 and R 1782. Photographed 7/6/59.

This R car 1901 had to be screened so the neighbours wouldn't see it at a church in Maroubra Jnc. on 14/1/61.

R1 2005 looks to be the hangout point for the kids at a sportsground in Leeton on 9/4/67.
Last edited by Red and Cream on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Re: Trams out to pasture.

Post by leopard1543 »

These photos are just so interesting "Red and Cream" :!:
It just goes to show that quite a few escaped the crematorium at Randwick :!:
Thanks for posting these. :D
Just love that C class one. :shock:
Bring back the Leopards!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Fascinating photos - did you get any Js ?

A few comments:

C 91 was sold in early 1925

E 513 sold 8/36 - 585 5/37

R 1901 was the last passenger tram to Gladesville 19/ 3/ 50

1722 was reported to have been relocated in the late 1960s and may still exist

714 is still there (or was) til recently

2005 is still in Leeton.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

There were quite a few trams around the suburbs of Sydney in the late 60s. I too had a list of sales, and it was quite fun going around and "visiting" them.

Found a couple of Ns but no Js, sorry DW.

If there is interest I can post a few photos too :?: :?:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

boronia wrote:............If there is interest I can post a few photos too :?: :?:
Always "boronia" :!: Please do. :shock:
Bring back the Leopards!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I have got a few Js - might post later.
brisbane fm tram 467

Post by brisbane fm tram 467 »

great photos red and cream have you got any brisbane tram photos after they were sold. keep putting on more brisbane photos just love them.

brisbane boy
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

Dave Wilson wrote:Fascinating photos - did you get any Js ?

A few comments:

C 91 was sold in early 1925

E 513 sold 8/36 - 585 5/37
Sorry no photos of J cars Dave.
I thought the sale of C91 was quite early as it still carried the old Chocolate and Cream colour scheme but i was surprised that the E cars were such an early sale.
boronia wrote:
If there is interest I can post a few photos too :?: :?:
Yes please boronia.
brisbane fm tram 467 wrote:great photos red and cream have you got any brisbane tram photos after they were sold. keep putting on more brisbane photos just love them.

brisbane boy
I have a few Brisbane trams out to pasture which i may post but not in the near future. Sorry.
greeens1

Post by greeens1 »

Hi, just wondering if you can give me any imfo on the remains of wot I think are L/P cars at the back of the cement works at Maldon. Very little remains of them but I found a facia board from above the desto .and some bogie parts .
Regards greeens1
WBC

Post by WBC »

Can we have some more please!!!! :mrgreen:
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

greeens1 wrote:Hi, just wondering if you can give me any imfo on the remains of wot I think are L/P cars at the back of the cement works at Maldon. Very little remains of them but I found a facia board from above the desto .and some bogie parts .
Regards greeens1
Sorry,i had not seen any LP's in Maldon greeens1 but as there were about 157 sold, they were widely dispersed, maybe someone else knows what they were. The closest LP's to Maldon that i came across were 225 /340 and 193/ 228 at two separate locations near Appin.
If your description of some bogie parts still being there is correct, i think the Tramway Museum at Loftus would be very interested in following it up.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

At least two L/Ps went to seperate owners in the road (which went through to Pheasants Nest and Bargo in those days)next to Maldon Cement Works.I saw one in 1969 but the other was broken up by that stage. Can't remember the numbers at the moment.
WBC

Post by WBC »

Where abouts on Forest Way were those two O's Red and Cream?
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

WBC wrote:Where abouts on Forest Way were those two O's Red and Cream?
Going north on Forest Way WBC, 1023 was behind the first house on the north side of Wyatt Ave. and was located up a steep bushy slope which would have been very difficult in placing the tram in the position it was. I believe it was destroyed in a bushfire some years ago.
1090 was located in the property that is on the the corner of Forest Way and the north side of Morgan Road and is now occupied by a very expensive mansion but in those days was a large paddock. I am not sure if it expired in the same fire as 1023 or was cleared before the land was sold for housing. 1090 at the time looked like an abandoned project but 1023 had partitioning and cladding like it was being used as a sleepout.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

J 110 was in Adelaide St St Marys when this photo was taken in Feb 1969.110 was sold July 1937 and was one of the last to leave Randwick Workshops.The owner told me that several trams had been in the street at one time - all except one arriving there before the War. This was the only remaining one and was gone by August 69.

This is J 659 in Cabramatta road Cabramatta in June 1967. 659 was one of the last in service, running out of Ft Macquarie during December 1935 on Quay-Railway Colonnade services. There was also an E class next door (you could just see it roughly built into the back of the house from the neighbours) but not being able to speak Polish, I couldn't make my interest understood and never got a picture.Both were gone by Feb 1969.
Last edited by Dave Wilson on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

This is former Newcastle L/p class 301 of the early low sided variety. It was on a property at Scone and was the last known survivor of the low sided type when I photographed it April 1973. It went to Newcastle in October 1923 and was one of the cars specially fitted to haul the hearse cars. Unfortunately the Sydney Tramway Museum did not have the resources to rescue the car for preservation and it was destroyed by burning a year later. A pity, as 301 was a chance discovery - I went into the property looking for directions and there was a tram!
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

Dave Wilson wrote: J 110 was in Adelaide St St Marys when this photo was taken in Feb 1969.110 was sold July 1937 and was one of the last to leave Randwick Workshops.The owner told me that several trams had been in the street at one time - all except one arriving there before the War. This was the only remaining one and was gone by August 69.
The two E cars i photographed, 513 and 585 were in Adelaide Street, but we missed the J car. A lady who lived in nearby Canberra Street told us about the E cars after we went to her house to see the trial N car 295 which she had set up ( i think) as a fernery. Unfortunately i did not take a photo of it as it was in a confined shaded space.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

We also went specially to see 295 but it had long gone (reportedly relocated to Freemans Reach) and someone in a nearby house told us about 110. You couldn't see 110 from the street for the sheds,I might add. It was touch and go getting into see that too, as the owner was suspicious that we were from the Council. He put us on to a tram at Eastern Creek which had unfortunately been pushed into an old dry creek a few years earlier. This person, however, had a photo of it and it was definitely a J. He said that he smashed it to pieces and then burnt it, but among the charred remains was part of a floor bearer which had aluminium numbers on it - 654. What really amazed me, though, was that there was actually the remains of two trams in the rubble.Goodness knows what the other one was as it had gone many years previously. I love that sort of archaeology!
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Amazing photographs :!:
With one household in Adelaide Street, St Marys with a tram I suppose the others just had to 'keep up with the Jones's'.
:lol:
Bring back the Leopards!
Rad

Post by Rad »

Back in the late 60's there were quite a number of trams (possibly R class) in the Warrumbungle National Park that had been refurbished as cabin accommodation by the National Parks and Wildlife Service. Does anyone know if they are still there or what happened to them?
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

The 5 Warrumbungle cars were sold off in the 1980s. One is at Burrawang (near Robertson) another is in the town of Tyringham nth west of Dorrigo.The other 3 are now unknown.
Rad

Post by Rad »

Thanks for the information. I wonder what condition they are still in now. I will see if I can track down the one at Burrawang
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
WBC

Post by WBC »

These are all fantastic photos! Keep them coming! It would be interesting to know how many of these cars still survive today. Does anybody have any photos of the trams at Joadja or the one that I heard was in a school in East Lindfield? Might have to start a new thread for more photos!
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

WBC wrote:These are all fantastic photos! Keep them coming! It would be interesting to know how many of these cars still survive today. Does anybody have any photos of the trams at Joadja or the one that I heard was in a school in East Lindfield? Might have to start a new thread for more photos!
R car 1768 was the tram at the East Lindfield School although i dont know if it is still there. Unfortunately trams, having a canvas covered roof are very vunerable to water damage and so not that many of them survive today.
For info on the Joadja trams follow this link as it explains what happened to them as well as other trams out to pasture.
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... adja+trams
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

According to my notes, 1768 was burnt in 3\67 at East Lindfeild public school. There is also noted 1790 to Lindfeild public school also burnt 6\68, 1894 to Linfeild public school,burnt 6\68.

the 5 trams at the Warrumbungles were 1754, 1830, 1850, 1872, & 1928.
In the words of a "highly succesful bus operator", I choose to be a winner and not a loser! I am now winning!!

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”