Trams and a Shuttle bus in Melbourne.

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
pakenhamtrain

Trams and a Shuttle bus in Melbourne.

Post by pakenhamtrain »

I went into the city with a friend on the 3rd of July and took a few pics.

Z3.204 on a 16 to Kew in Swanston Street.
SW6.888 operates on the City Circle in Latrobe Street.
Z1.95 departs Domain Interchange on a 67.
Z3.151 approches Domain Interchange on a route 6.
A2.278 crosses Swanston Street infront of Flinders Street Station.
SW6.888 infront of Flinders Street Station.
Driver Bus Lines #42(Denning Manufacturing LF - Cat/Custom Coaches "CB60 Evo II) Turns into Flinders Street.
Insert 200 characters as signature
tranzitjim

Re: Trams and a Shuttle bus in Melbourne.

Post by tranzitjim »

Since when where the tourist buses Orange. I thourght they where that bright Blue.
Connex
Favourite Vehicle: XT 853M-1627T-854M

Post by Connex »

they changed the livery of the buses when Ventura/National lost the MCTS contract to Driver Bus.
i reckon they looked better in the blue than the orange.
Metcard. Your ticket to Melbourne.
melbtransport
Favourite Vehicle: All Kefford and SITA Buses

Post by melbtransport »

tranzitjim wrote:Since when where the tourist buses Orange. I thourght they where that bright Blue.
I've seen them in Orange Livery and Blue Livery before, but maybe they've changed liveries :?: :wink:
キャンベラ僕の電車と市電の写真集 いろいろメルボルンの市電の写真 Hodgsoŋzz |†ちょ₠眽Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ†|™™“贡献所有力量给孩子希望 冲破一切阻挡 用大家的爱 打败虚幻世界的罪恶安排 请相信未来 ”₠眽??Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ
yueses

Post by yueses »

From what I have heard from various sources.. Ventura did a much better job on the tourist shuttle. They also had a much nicer, more pleasant-to-the-eye livery.

The only pictures I have of the three ex-shuttle buses were once the livery (stickers, just like all over advertising) was removed at North Fitzroy.
Flexity110

Post by Flexity110 »

Its nice to see some pictures of older trams, we dont get much variation during the week on our system. I think its a shame that the trams are mostly white now, but it makes me appreciate the AdMet livery on ours a lot more.

You'll have to excuse this if it seems like a dumb question, I haven't been to Melbourne for a little while and I cant remember the setup: in the pic of Z1.95 departing Domain Interchange, where are the platforms located? It looks like there is a shelter just on the road surface :? If this is correct, is it common to not have platforms?
Connex

Post by Connex »

SG280H wrote:You'll have to excuse this if it seems like a dumb question, I haven't been to Melbourne for a little while and I cant remember the setup: in the pic of Z1.95 departing Domain Interchange, where are the platforms located? It looks like there is a shelter just on the road surface :? If this is correct, is it common to not have platforms?
Not all the stops along St. Kilda Road have been re-built to platform stops. In the recent tram priority works along St. Kilda Road, a platform stop (or Superstop) was constructed infront of the Arts Centre. The Domain Interchange will be re-built into a Superstop, eventually.

As for the shelter on the road surface, its actually located on a tram reserve, as the Domain Interchange has three tracks, one for termination (route 55), and the other two tracks are through tracks. The tram shelter is located between the Melbourne Uni-bound through track and the 55 terminal track.
yueses

Post by yueses »

In melbourne we have never had platform stops for trams until the 80's.. boarding was always at 'street level' around the system. the first platform stops that were introduced was when the St Kilda/ Port Melbourne Railway lines were closed and converted into the light rail from memory. (routes 96 and 109 respectively)

.. can someone confirm or set me straight on that info...?
Connex

Post by Connex »

Northcoast wrote:.. can someone confirm or set me straight on that info...?
Yes, Northcoast you are correct. When the MTA closed the Port Melbourne and St. Kilda lines to convert to light rail, the existing railway platforms were retained.

When light rail began operations on Route 96 and 111 (now 109), the first to protoype B1 light rail trams were fitted with stairwell covers so that passengers could board light rail trams at standard railway platform height.
Evenutally the MTA lowered the height of the former railway platforms, some were even rebuilt, so that they were at stairwell-height, removing the need for stairwell covers.

South Melbourne Market and Port Melbourne stations are still at railway height, but stops have been built away from those old platforms.

I think only B1.2001 and B1.2002 were the only trams to be fitted with the stairwell covers. No B2's were fitted with them.
Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

melbtransport wrote:
tranzitjim wrote:Since when where the tourist buses Orange. I thourght they where that bright Blue.
I've seen them in Orange Livery and Blue Livery before, but maybe they've changed liveries :?: :wink:
The buses are Red! not orange!
100_5055 [800x600].JPG
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!
mitchezdp

Post by mitchezdp »

It would be great to see a photo of these stairwell covers. Do you have some or are they on another site please?
Connex wrote:
Northcoast wrote:.. can someone confirm or set me straight on that info...?
:wink:

Yes, Northcoast you are correct. When the MTA closed the Port Melbourne and St. Kilda lines to convert to light rail, the existing railway platforms were retained.

When light rail began operations on Route 96 and 111 (now 109), the first to protoype B1 light rail trams were fitted with stairwell covers so that passengers could board light rail trams at standard railway platform height.
Evenutally the MTA lowered the height of the former railway platforms, some were even rebuilt, so that they were at stairwell-height, removing the need for stairwell covers.

South Melbourne Market and Port Melbourne stations are still at railway height, but stops have been built away from those old platforms.

I think only B1.2001 and B1.2002 were the only trams to be fitted with the stairwell covers. No B2's were fitted with them.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”