[SMH] Photography Is Not A Crime

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Post by leopard1543 »

PR100 wrote:The only place you cannot legally take photos in Sydney Airport is Passport Control, Baggage Claim and Customs in Terminal 1 where signs are posted to state that.
Thanks for that info "PR100". The photo I took was nowhere near the Passport Control, Baggage Claim and Customs in Terminal 1 so I was correct in saying that she didn't have a leg to stand on :!: :lol:
Bring back the Leopards!
Windy

Post by Windy »

I copped a similar vehement approach from a Brisbane Bus Lines driver, who threatened me with court action. I wasn't too bothered, and even tried to pacify him by showing a photo depicting the bus without the driver in the photo (he was standing near the bus).

His first words to me were "I hope that's for a school project..."

Eventually it got to the point where I walked away, and he kept following, so I countered his threat with court action with: "If you lay a finger on me, or my equipment, I'll see YOU in court." To which he finally backed off.

I did take a few more photos of the vehicle in transit later on that day, which turned out quite well... :twisted:
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Windy wrote:I copped a similar vehement approach from a Brisbane Bus Lines driver, who threatened me with court action. I wasn't too bothered, and even tried to pacify him by showing a photo depicting the bus without the driver in the photo (he was standing near the bus).

His first words to me were "I hope that's for a school project..."

Eventually it got to the point where I walked away, and he kept following, so I countered his threat with court action with: "If you lay a finger on me, or my equipment, I'll see YOU in court." To which he finally backed off.

I did take a few more photos of the vehicle in transit later on that day, which turned out quite well... :twisted:
Windy, it also sounds like you had an unpleasant experience.
All I can say is that these type of people must have something to hide :?: Maybe they are illegally working or are just plain weird. I've been taking photos since I was 10 and that was in 1969 and I don't intend to stop now at 48. :lol:
Bring back the Leopards!
Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

i had a Westrans Werribee Driver Accuse me of Being a terroist Because i took a picture of His bus and he would blame me if bombs went off in melbourne 2 weeks later

i think about 2 weeks later 2 trams collided in st kilda road
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Trolley_bus_racer wrote:i had a Westrans Werribee Driver Accuse me of Being a terroist Because i took a picture of His bus and he would blame me if bombs went off in melbourne 2 weeks later

And these sort of people are driving buses around. :shock: Oh dear "Trolley_bus_racer" I hope you won't the cause of the 2 trams colliding. :lol:
Bring back the Leopards!
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Trolley_bus_racer wrote:i had a Westrans Werribee Driver Accuse me of Being a terroist Because i took a picture of His bus and he would blame me if bombs went off in melbourne 2 weeks later
What did he look like? It was probably the same driver who stopped his bus in the middle of the interchange so he could yell at me for taking a photo.
Trolley Bus Racer

leopard1543 wrote:

And these sort of people are driving buses around. :shock: Oh dear "Trolley_bus_racer" I hope you won't the cause of the 2 trams colliding. :lol:
well er....... actually..... i was in bed Dreaming the worst would happen :twisted:
Tranz Metro Crew

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: [SMH] Photography Is Not A Crime

Post by Swift »

I'm geting sick of these personnel that think they are legal eagles andtry to tell us what to do when it is unwarranted.

I'm going to deliberately photgraph them with the telephoto if they try their "law unto themselves" tactics on me.

How dare they.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I doubt that will improve the situation - better to react calmly and take the high moral ground rather than lowering yourself to their level - the current thread in the WA section gives some useful guidance on how to react in the face of clear harassment by security types.

Just breath deeply!
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

although this is from the march 2007 railway digest, their's a good article about management vs enthusiasts, by albert isaacs. the article makes some good points.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Windy

Post by Windy »

Care to elaborate? Especially given that there are alot of bus-only enthusiasts who wouldn't read RD?
David-
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Leopard

Post by David- »

I had a Problem in Newcastle Yesterday when taking Photos.

I was about to take a Photo of a Bus Yesterday at Newcastle and the Driver of the Bus Jumped out of her bus and Told me to Fu*k off or im calling the police if you take a Photo so what i did was is while she cant see me i went along distance and took the Photo but the photo turned out well anyway.

Photography use to be a great fun hobby and a great day out and whats happend ? all you cop now is abuse from Bus drivers and the Public and on Hunter street yesterday i took a photo of a bus and this old man told me to Fu*k off and stuck hes finger at me and i just gave him the finger back.

And i said to him you got a problem with a Transport Enthusiast taking Photos of a Bus you Fu*king Cun* and just gave him the finger so i just walked off and all these people just ask me why am i taking photos and you should have permission and i just told them to get lost and mind there own bussiness.

Iam gettingt sick of all this trash by people they just treat you like a Terrost and thinking that your going to blow them up but what dosent make sence is that why would a Transport Enthusiast Blow up a bus if Buses are our interests i rekon these STA drivers are the worst they think everytime you take a photo they think your upto no good and going to blow them up these sta drivers are just getting to carried away.

But right now as Photography is not a crime iam going to keep taking photos if these prick bus drivers and the public like or not i just tell them to get lost and mind there own bussiness us enthusiasts are not doing any harm photography of public transport is our hobby and interest and some of us have been doing it since these people were not even born.

Enthusiasts like leopard 1543 well hes been taking photos since 1969 and is a long time ago and hes always had great photos and is still doing it today and these bus companies have got to think as our photographs come in use as events like the 75th Anniversary of Government Buses Some of the Photos were taken by enthusiasts and our Photographs arew also used as History and old and new like what operated back then and what operates in the area today.

For example if you were taking photos at Circular Quay about 30 years ago you would of been seeing alot of the great stuff like AEC Double Deckers Leyland Deckers 31 seaters Mk1 and Mk2 Leopards and the early days of the Mercedes Benz and what do you see today ?

Lowfloor Gas Mercs Articulated Volvos and Mercs Volvo B12s Volgrens and other types of buses these photographs to so history as it shows what operated back then and what operating in that same area today.

If these people have a problem doing what i enjoy most well thats there problem im just doing what i like doing.
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Don't let them worry you David, just keep taking those photos :!:
I had a Port Botany driver recently also have a go at me (Dave Wilson will recall it).
He said I had to have permission to take a photo of his bus (he was driving 4800). I more or less just ignored him and took it anyway.
I also had a member of the public recently have a go at me at Railway Square (a female aged about 45-50). And no it wasn't that one in the nightdress from Tamarama. She also said I shouldn't be taking photos of buses. My answer to her was "and why not". She had no answer to that reply so once again I just kept taking them and right in front of her.
Another recent one was from one of those so called security guards that are in those little boxes in the front of Waverley Depot. I was taking a photo on the public street outside of a bus going along Oxford Street. He questioned me about how I was so I told him I was good and just kept taking them (also in front of him). He went back to his little box and I think made a phone call to the police.
I find it sometimes hard though to hide my laughter when questioned and even harder when I'm getting abused.
:lol:
Bring back the Leopards!
Trolley Bus Racer

David- wrote: i rekon these STA drivers are the worst they think everytime you take a photo they think your upto no good and going to blow them up these sta drivers are just getting to carried away.
Goverment Buses..... Goverment has a Terrorisim Fetish. i bet if you stand up on a bus Where there is a seat avaliable they would accuse you of being a terrorist
Tranz Metro Crew

Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Passing through Green Square today I noticed a sign proclaiming that photography is prohibited (three paper signs laminated, each using a synonym for prohibited, e.g No, Not Permitted etc for alcohol and smoking and above mentioned). First I've seen of any sign on any station in Sydney - even the other airport line stations. Needless to say an email has been sent to clarify the situation....
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Newcastle Flyer

From a NSW Government Hansard

Question about photography on Trains:
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/p ... 0031112022

Answer: http://www.anzacatt.org.au/prod/parlmen ... enDocument
On 12 November 2003 the Hon. John Tingle asked the Minister for Transport Services a question without notice regarding photography on trains. The Minister has provided the following response:

I am advised:
It is not an offence to take a photograph on a train or at a station.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

All well and good for railcorp sites, but the airport line is not that cut and dry
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
signaller1

Post by signaller1 »

invada1 wrote:Some time last year a discussion was raise as to taking photo's which could get you into trouble.

Here is a most interesting article from SMH regarding taking photo's especially in public places, and of children. It includes a few good links especially to laws and rights.

Ray
As long as your on crown land and are not breaking the law you have every right to photograph . I had this discussion several years ago about photography of train from platforms, and the conclusion was as long as you had permission to be there, a valid ticket, the nazi transit officers can not stop you from photographing trains.

Cheers

Signaller
URABUS

Post by URABUS »

A few days ago I just started to pull away from Railway Square inbound and there were two blokes over by the north side of the Quay Street corner who appeared to have cameras aimed at my bus. I checked nothing was behind me and slowed down to help them compose a nice shot. One of them seemed to glare at me and I felt some negative vibes. I told Toxana about this later and he said: "They were probably photographing something far more interesting than your bus".
Borco

Post by Borco »

Living in Veolialand.
Atlantean Bus Driver

Post by Atlantean Bus Driver »

I take thousands of pics each month of kids at schools sporting events and in the public.
I wear an id card giving my name and where i am from.
never had any real trouble. I guess i am in a local environment.
And i post on the internet
Newcastle Flyer

Just found this Wikipedia article:
Connex Melbourne now require any railfan wishing to take photographs to obtain a permit. Permits last for 90 days, except in the case of some select stations in which a permit only lasts for 7 days. This system has been met with resentment from the railfan community, and many refuse to apply for permits. In November 2005 one railfan was issued with an infringement notice simply for holding a camera on a platform.[citation needed] The Spanish RENFE railroad company also requires an application for a permit. In the United States this requirement is illegal. Even on private property, photographers cannot be forced to delete digital photos or destroy their film. It is their property, and cannot be taken or destroyed without a court order.
White lives matter too.
yueses

Post by yueses »

So train drivers can take pics of their trains, in-cab shots etc and post them on the internet and thats okay? yet if i take a picture of 2 of my friends, and a train happens to be in the background i could be fined??

F&^*K O##!
Newcastle Flyer

And look what it says about so called permits in the USA, which I thought I bolded!
White lives matter too.
Trolley Bus Racer

Connex wrote:Rail enthusiasts
You need to be a member of a rail enthusiast's organisation or show you've been actively engaged with the hobby for at least two years. Current and former employees can also apply.

The permit is valid for 12 months, and allows you to shoot still photography in public access areas of all Connex stations, except Flagstaff, Melbourne Central, Parliament and Southern Cross.
http://www.connexmelbourne.com.au/index.php?id=56
Tranz Metro Crew

Return to “General Transport Discussion”