TV949 delivery run from Brisbane to Perth Pt1

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Desto Dave
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster, Tigers.

TV949 delivery run from Brisbane to Perth Pt1

Post by Desto Dave »

Recently I was asked to deliver this coach, an ex Makehams of Nangus Autobus/Cummins from Coachworks in Brisbane to the new owner, Thomson's of Perth.

Ready to leave Coachworks all bright and shiny.

After leaving Coachworks in Brisbane on a fine Wednesday arvo, I settled in comfortably behind the wheel and headed west towards Warwick. Powered by a Cummins L10 and with a 6 speed spicer with cruise control the trip to Perth was very comfortable and being empty, very pleasant as well. The coach made a very spirited run up the range into Warwick passing all the semi trailers with ease and was impressed with the power.

At Warwick

After camping in the cosy bunk for the night, next morning I stopped near Gilgandra for breakfast

Gilgandra

Up and down the hills the Cummins powered with ease, after Gilgandra, headed via the Oxley Highway, Mitchell Highway to Nyngan, then onto the Barrier Highway, west towards Cobar. Now pretty much flat running.
A stop was made in Cobar for lunch and photos.

Entrance to Cobar

After Cobar (and being cleared of no drugs being carried by the police and RTA roadblock!), headed via Wilcannia and onto Broken Hill. Now dark after Broken Hill, I sucesfully dodged the few 'roos on the road towards the NSW/SA border and into South Australia, pulling up for the night and sleeping well again.
Next morning I had a stop at Mannahill (SA) to photograph the station in the lovely morning sunlight.

Mannahill railway station

Stay tuned for part 2!
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

Wow. Looks like an enjoyable trip. The weather was very kind to you too.
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Re: TV949 delivery run from Brisbane to Perth Pt1

Post by AEC Decker »

Desto Dave wrote:Recently I was asked to deliver this coach, from Coachworks in Brisbane to Perth.
Citybus wrote:Wow. Looks like an enjoyable trip. The weather was very kind to you too.
How do I get a job like this ? :wink:
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
sydguy28

Post by sydguy28 »

Would anyone know if shipping or train have been suitable or cost effective to transfer from Brisbane to Perth?
Desto Dave

Post by Desto Dave »

AEC Decker wrote: How do I get a job like this ? :wink:
Citybus wrote:Wow. Looks like an enjoyable trip. The weather was very kind to you too.
Yeah, vey lucky with the weather and just happened to be in the right place at the right time to do the trip. Being a 'freelance' driver I can do a few of these trips.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Howdy Dave!

Nice collection of shots there... where was this bunk, or was it improvised from some of the seats?

Interesting to see a bus destined for WA in the livery for it's WA operator and still on NSW plates!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Windy wrote:Howdy Dave!

Nice collection of shots there... where was this bunk, or was it improvised from some of the seats?

Interesting to see a bus destined for WA in the livery for it's WA operator and still on NSW plates!
It wasd reregd as soon as it got to WA.
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaK124EB
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M/Scania K124EB

Post by ScaniaK124EB »

It sounds Like a good job you would get to see so many good sights :)
and with a brand new bus to drive it would be even better

Have you stopped to eat at the truck stops? hopefully they have fed you well with good food... some of them are great and some just serve crap :(
This Is The Southern Service To Bognor Regis Calling At Clapham Junction East Croydon And Gatwick Airport Where The Train Will Fly Off The Rails
User xyz

Post by User xyz »

What happened to the Bus in the background in the first pic?

looks like fire damage?

Matt
Desto Dave

Post by Desto Dave »

Windy wrote:Howdy Dave!
Hey Windy!
Thank You. No, coach had a proper drivers bunk fitted in the last row of seats near the toilet. The seats fold down flat enabling the 'bunk' to be unclipped from the rear wall and layed flat into position. There is a small gap behind the washroom enabling to put your legs. This was the norm for when two up driving on express. No dobut a few members have tried to sleep in a moving coach, trying to sleep right above the engine (usually) and passengers making a right noise using the washroom and disturbing the sleeping driver with the opening and closing of the washroom door!
Kid wrote:It sounds Like a good job you would get to see so many good sights
and with a brand new bus to drive it would be even better
Have you stopped to eat at the truck stops? hopefully they have fed you well with good food... some of them are great and some just serve crap
Most of the sights on this trip were seen thru the windsreen of the moving coach as the operator wanted his coach in Perth to use so not much mucking around.
Most times I stopped at the truck stops for a shower daily and for something to eat. You just have to chat with the truckies who will put you right on where is good to stop and where isn't so good as more often than not visit these places more regulary.
Matt 1621 wrote:What happened to the Bus in the background in the first pic?
looks like fire damage?
Matt
And you'd be correct there. The coach must have had some sort of fire in it at some stage, there to be re-built.
VH-NJF
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200 (BCC)

Post by VH-NJF »

Desto Dave wrote:
Matt 1621 wrote:What happened to the Bus in the background in the first pic?
looks like fire damage?
Matt
And you'd be correct there. The coach must have had some sort of fire in it at some stage, there to be re-built.
Looks like a Brisbane Bus Lines Coach in their new livery... or whats left of the new livery... :P
"Clear for take off, runway one niner.... Vee-oz seven..."

024GJT
966BUJ
129BSO
Gday

Post by Gday »

Its BBL 41, it had just come back from MAJOR repanel / paint / everything else, had a brand new motor. Wont speculate on the cause of the fire, because I dont know. She caught on fire at the transit centre in Brisbane. It was off the road for approx 12 months whilst being rebuilt again. As in all BBL rebuild / refurbs, nothing was half done, and it was as good as a new coach again (And with 500HP Cat up the back, with 7 speed fuller it FLEW)

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”