Busways Volvo B10M MkIV

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Bovways

Busways Volvo B10M MkIV

Post by Bovways »

Here's a one off in the Busways fleet, Volvo B10M MkIV unit 315, currently operating out of Blacktown depot:

You can see the new-style destos too!

(Sorry for the quality, its a mobile phone pic)

C :)
TOXANA

Re: Busways Volvo B10M MkIV

Post by TOXANA »

Bovways wrote:You can see the new-style destos too!
and quite clearly ripped off from the style that STA uses
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

TOXANA wrote:
Bovways wrote:You can see the new-style destos too!
and quite clearly ripped off from the style that STA uses
I never claimed I was original!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Which is also allegedly ripped off MUNI in San Francisco :?
TOXANA

Post by TOXANA »

Bovways wrote:I never claimed I was original!
aint that the truth :lol:
TOXANA

Post by TOXANA »

Windy wrote:Which is also allegedly ripped off MUNI in San Francisco :?
That was a joke at the expense Hii Hubert
Windy

Post by Windy »

LOL, it MAY have been... :roll:
parraeel

Post by parraeel »

Bovways wrote:Here's a one off in the Busways fleet, Volvo B10M MkIV unit 315, currently operating out of Blacktown depot:

Yes, I have noticed the new-style destos. They look great, a lot better than the old ones. One thing, I reckon the 762 Bidwill should read "Bidwill via Emerton and Popondetta Road" not Carlisle Ave, that way people may be able to distinguish between the 761 and the 762.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

parraeel wrote:
Bovways wrote:Here's a one off in the Busways fleet, Volvo B10M MkIV unit 315, currently operating out of Blacktown depot:

Yes, I have noticed the new-style destos. They look great, a lot better than the old ones. One thing, I reckon the 762 Bidwill should read "Bidwill via Emerton and Popondetta Road" not Carlisle Ave, that way people may be able to distinguish between the 761 and the 762.
I think it should be "via Emerton Shops". Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into it.

Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

TOXANA wrote:and quite clearly ripped off from the style that STA uses
MoT are telling bus companies to use this style of programming on dot-matrix destos, so essentially it isn't ripping off another style, but doing what they're told.

The thing in my opinion that makes these type of destos look good or not is the selection of fonts. The Busways ones look very good thanks to the work by Bovways and Deano in doing the files for the various Busways depots.
R-C

Post by R-C »

The complete CDC operation will be in this format soon!
So could we see HunterValley Destos in the Sydney Operations?!
TOXANA

Post by TOXANA »

Ken wrote:The Busways ones look very good thanks to the work by Bovways and Deano in doing the files for the various Busways depots.
Ahh but yes, they didn't win an award for their project like the person from STA did with his classic desto style that everyone is now copying including companies from interstate.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Thats amazing to see that body on a Volvo and a midmounted one at that.

Thanks for the pic.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Forest have a fair few of them with different headlights, and a rear door (a Forest obsession), instead of a centre door. There's a few of them at Metrolink as well, and one B10M Mk III at Premier Illawarra.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

What I meant was that body with that front on it.

There are stacks of B10Ms with that Custom Coaches bodyshape with various fronts but I have never seen that particular front on a B10M and certainly didn't know Busways run one.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

It would be the only B10M around with Series 238 front. A rare 'one-off' in a comprehensively standardised fleet. There's a random MAN 18.230 with the same body - also at Blacktown.... It would be interesting to get the background as to how these to ended up in the fleet and with those bodies.
Job done.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Andrew wrote:It would be the only B10M around with Series 238 front. A rare 'one-off' in a comprehensively standardised fleet. There's a random MAN 18.230 with the same body - also at Blacktown.... It would be interesting to get the background as to how these to ended up in the fleet and with those bodies.
Yes, I never seem to be able to get a drive of the MAN! My understanding (from outside the company, just gunzel rumours) is they were built to Busways spec and used as long term demos. They did not lead to further orders but were purchased by the company.

Another example were the Merc 1418 Autos which Busways didn't retain, ending up at Fearnes. Having driven the similarly mechanical specced 1418s at Transit First, I can understand why they wouldn't have kept up with the pace on Busways route service... S L O W!

C:)
hubert

Post by hubert »

Ken wrote:
TOXANA wrote:and quite clearly ripped off from the style that STA uses
MoT are telling bus companies to use this style of programming on dot-matrix destos, so essentially it isn't ripping off another style, but doing what they're told.

The thing in my opinion that makes these type of destos look good or not is the selection of fonts. The Busways ones look very good thanks to the work by Bovways and Deano in doing the files for the various Busways depots.
MoT is doing one thing right for once :shock:
hubert

Post by hubert »

MobitecICU wrote:The complete CDC operation will be in this format soon!
So could we see HunterValley Destos in the Sydney Operations?!
Would that be late 2007, or into 2008?

Some 610s had this style -- but after the Lane Cove Tunnel opened, the font for the numbers ("610") became some wonky font.

Like to see a return of the sans serif 13x9 font to the route numbers on what used to be Transit First, now Veolia routes. They've gotten most of the fonts right with the destinations, but the route fonts look terrible.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Bovways wrote:
Andrew wrote:It would be the only B10M around with Series 238 front. A rare 'one-off' in a comprehensively standardised fleet. There's a random MAN 18.230 with the same body - also at Blacktown.... It would be interesting to get the background as to how these to ended up in the fleet and with those bodies.
Yes, I never seem to be able to get a drive of the MAN! My understanding (from outside the company, just gunzel rumours) is they were built to Busways spec and used as long term demos. They did not lead to further orders but were purchased by the company.

Another example were the Merc 1418 Autos which Busways didn't retain, ending up at Fearnes. Having driven the similarly mechanical specced 1418s at Transit First, I can understand why they wouldn't have kept up with the pace on Busways route service... S L O W!

C:)
I have heard that the 1418s with the 238 bodies were delivered as "gifts" for their large order of O.405s and these 1418s are unusual in that they have a ZF 5 speed auto in them. Apparently they went through quite a few diffs as well as being slow and non-standard.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Bovways wrote:My understanding (from outside the company, just gunzel rumours) is they were built to Busways spec and used as long term demos. They did not lead to further orders but were purchased by the company.
I can't recall the Volvo being used by any other company, as far as I know it was delivered new to Busways (you might recall my excitement the time we were in Schofields/Riverstone on a field trip at uni and I saw it there for the first time!).

Similarly with the MAN, I can't remember it being anywhere else before Busways, although I'm less sure about that one than the Volvo.

The 1418s were an experiment gone wrong perhaps - not sure they'd be "gifts" as such.... They didn't last all that long with Busways - and those of us who have driven 1418s can understand why. And with ZF instead of the revvy Allison - ugh....
Job done.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Andrew wrote:
Bovways wrote:My understanding (from outside the company, just gunzel rumours) is they were built to Busways spec and used as long term demos. They did not lead to further orders but were purchased by the company.
I can't recall the Volvo being used by any other company, as far as I know it was delivered new to Busways (you might recall my excitement the time we were in Schofields/Riverstone on a field trip at uni and I saw it there for the first time!).

Similarly with the MAN, I can't remember it being anywhere else before Busways, although I'm less sure about that one than the Volvo.

The 1418s were an experiment gone wrong perhaps - not sure they'd be "gifts" as such.... They didn't last all that long with Busways - and those of us who have driven 1418s can understand why. And with ZF instead of the revvy Allison - ugh....
Yeah I meant they were built for Busways spec as demos for Busways - that's what I got told years ago anyway.

Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Ahh right - that makes more sense. Chassis supplier got the bodies built to tempt Busways into a large order, without success.
Job done.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Could that be the similar story to the MAN 18.310 Bustech VST that was built to Busways spec? (vynal seats, plain sliver poles). After being built it was put into serivce with Busways first.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well, lets not forget that Westbus had a yellow Scania L94UB with a CB60 body, which later went to Interline.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”