[NSW] Once upon a time ....... Chapman's Bus Service Part 1

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

[NSW] Once upon a time ....... Chapman's Bus Service Part 1

Post by Centralian »

Chapman's Bus Service operated industrial services in Newcastle at the change of shifts at the steelworks. Routes N11 and N12. Depot was in Hamilton and a sub depot in Mereweather, next door to Scholes. The operation was owned by Mrs B Chapman who sold it in 1974 to Mr G King who continued to trade as Chapmans. By the late '70's the name changed to Kings and the industrial runs eventually ceased in 1990. Continued to operate as a charter operator under the name Kings of Newcastle. These are some memories of the Chapman's name and the vehicles that operated the industrial services, once upon a time. Hope you enjoy.
210.jpg
mo210 was this AEC Reliance 505 coach with CCMC body of 1968.

162.jpg

4806.jpg
mo4806 was this rear engined Commer coach with Denning body of 1965 when it was new to Chapman's.

753.jpg
mo753 was one of a number of Leyland Royal Tiger OPSU1/1's acquired by Chapmans. In researching I've seen 753 referred to as former PTC 2718, 2715, and 2842. So I'll just say it's probably one of those.

5341.jpg
New to Chapman's in 1970 was this Bedford Vam 70 coach with Athol Hedges body.[/quote]
Last edited by Centralian on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red and Cream_

Post by Red and Cream_ »

Some great memories there Centralian as Chapman was one of my favourite Newcastle operators and after all they were Red and Cream. They also acquired Georgetown Bus Service in the early 70's i think.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Did that Athol Hedges body style have a model name? I remember Harris Park had several.
ged
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Regal III

Post by ged »

The Athol Hedges body style was called "Metro-Star".
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I almost didn't look because I know nothing about Chapmans but glad I did.

Nice livery and I love that pic of the Custom Coaches AEC Reliance coach.
Reliances were largely used as coaches in the UK but not so much ,as far as I know ,in Australia.They were primarily used as route buses here.

The ex DGT bus is another highlight.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I think Chapmans did a little bit of hot plating. I remember seeing a former DGT prewar Regent one weekend as 4300 then the following weekend it was on the company's postwar Regent (ex 2222), but back on the prewar a few weeks later -whilst the postwar sat in the workshop.
HiHo
Favourite Vehicle: Mk iv Merc.

aec reliance coaches

Post by HiHo »

Swift obsessor wrote:I almost didn't look because I know nothing about Chapmans but glad I did.

Nice livery and I love that pic of the Custom Coaches AEC Reliance coach.
Reliances were largely used as coaches in the UK but not so much ,as far as I know ,in Australia.They were primarily used as route buses here.

The ex DGT bus is another highlight.
Back in the late 70s when max Holman took Janalli Como bus service over they had a AEC Reliance Coach TV 618 i cant remember what happened to it i used to drive it it was a good goer.
HiHO
smalfalfa

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time ....... Chapman's Bus Service Part 1

Post by smalfalfa »

Jannali Como Bus Service had two AEC Reliance's
MO4600 was a semi coach with a Custom Body and the AEC 470 motor
TV618 was a coach with Superior body and the AEC 505 motor (in other posts this ended up over Marrikville way)
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Just thought I'd do the code edit thing :wink:
Centralian wrote:Chapman's Bus Service operated industrial services in Newcastle at the change of shifts at the steelworks. Routes N11 and N12. Depot was in Hamilton and a sub depot in Mereweather, next door to Scholes. The operation was owned by Mrs B Chapman who sold it in 1974 to Mr G King who continued to trade as Chapmans. By the late '70's the name changed to Kings and the industrial runs eventually ceased in 1990. Continued to operate as a charter operator under the name Kings of Newcastle. These are some memories of the Chapman's name and the vehicles that operated the industrial services, once upon a time. Hope you enjoy.

mo210 was this AEC Reliance 505 coach with CCMC body of 1968.

mo162 was former PTC 2764, a Leyland Titan OPD2/1 with Clyde body of 1953.

mo4806 was this rear engined Commer coach with Denning body of 1965 when it was new to Chapman's.

mo753 was one of a number of Leyland Royal Tiger OPSU1/1's acquired by Chapmans. In researching I've seen 753 referred to as former PTC 2718, 2715, and 2842. So I'll just say it's probably one of those.

New to Chapman's in 1970 was this Bedford Vam 70 coach with Athol Hedges body.
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
HiHo
Favourite Vehicle: Mk iv Merc.

Post by HiHo »

smalfalfa wrote:Jannali Como Bus Service had two AEC Reliance's
MO4600 was a semi coach with a Custom Body and the AEC 470 motor
TV618 was a coach with Superior body and the AEC 505 motor (in other posts this ended up over Marrikville way)
M/O 4600 ended up at Bankstown depot and when Jim Hill took over i think it was sold but i cant find out where it went.
HiHO
MelCartwright

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time ....... Chapman's Bus Service Pa

Post by MelCartwright »

Hi, as much as I appreciate the story about Chapman's Bus Service, I just have to make a couple of corrections. Chapman's was originally owned by Bob Chapman, he died in 1949, & left it to my grandmother Ellen Ruby Chapman. Mrs B Chapman was Ellen's daughter in law (my mother), who managed the business for my grandma. They did sell it to Graham King in about 1976, who changed it quite soon after to King's of Newcastle. He also bought the sub-depot at mereweather from grandma who had only just purchased it just prior to the sale because they had so many complaints from neighbours because they used to park the buses outside grandma's home in Pulver Street, Hamilton as well as in sheds at the back of her house. My grandma was an awesome woman & everybody, including all the drivers called her Grandma. I loved the photos & it was interesting to see some of the really old ones, wish I had more pictures of those days, great memories from my childhood. Thanks
Centralian

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time ....... Chapman's Bus Service Pa

Post by Centralian »

MelCartwright wrote:Hi, as much as I appreciate the story about Chapman's Bus Service, I just have to make a couple of corrections. Chapman's was originally owned by Bob Chapman, he died in 1949, & left it to my grandmother Ellen Ruby Chapman. Mrs B Chapman was Ellen's daughter in law (my mother), who managed the business for my grandma. They did sell it to Graham King in about 1976, who changed it quite soon after to King's of Newcastle. He also bought the sub-depot at mereweather from grandma who had only just purchased it just prior to the sale because they had so many complaints from neighbours because they used to park the buses outside grandma's home in Pulver Street, Hamilton as well as in sheds at the back of her house. My grandma was an awesome woman & everybody, including all the drivers called her Grandma. I loved the photos & it was interesting to see some of the really old ones, wish I had more pictures of those days, great memories from my childhood. Thanks
Thanks MelCartwright for the corrections and extra information. I think I collected the information originally quoted from various snippets in enthusiast magazines.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”