[ACT] Foundation Day - Keirs

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Irisbus Rider
Favourite Vehicle: CC Mercedes Benz 0405

[ACT] Foundation Day - Keirs

Post by Irisbus Rider »

This is the last installment of the visiting buses to my school. It focuses on the small time provider known as Keirs. They mainly do school services and charters, they operate no rostered route services. Their fleet is extremely diverse and unique, as I hope to display in this thread.

Keirs have a large number of Hinos, as is shown below;

MO-101 Hino heading to Indoor Cricket, with a CC bodied Volvo B7R behind it.

Here is something I've never heard of, a "Campbell", MO-116 dropping off students after returning from an exhilirating day of sport. Back to the bus, the rear window appeares as though it is made of plastic, and you can see part of the working engine in full view through the grill. A unique bus, at least for me! Does anyone else know about this vehicle?

A bad photo, yes I know, but I just hoped to give all of you out there a better visulisation of this rare vehicle. Keirs MO-116 Campbell departing (Hence the partial shot) with desto gear stripped, which could indicate the bus is 2nd hand.

PMC Mercedes MO-109 waits empty, with the Hino shown in another photo seen behind it.

AD bodied Hino Starliner MO-99 ready to depart. This shot is perfect to represent Keirs livery, or lack of there. I'm not sure if these buses were bought new or not, but the livery on each bus is different. Hence me coining them as "diverse". Also, the different type of vehicles they use is immense.

Anyway, this was the last installment, I hope you enjoyed seeing behind the Orange and Blue of Canberra!
E.L.Wood
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Post by E.L.Wood »

Diverse is an interesting term to describe the liveries, we tend to use 'as acquired' which indicates the fleet does not have a specific livery, a very mixed bag, the IBC was new to Alchin of Young, the Starliner to King Bros, but wearing the livery of Blue Mountains Bus Co, the Mercedes was new to Whyalla City Council and the Maxim Hino was a school bus from Tocumwal area.
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

What sort of body is on the IBC? I like it!
Job done.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Andrew wrote:What sort of body is on the IBC? I like it!
Its a Nambucca body. Morisett Bus Service had an identical vehicle which was sold to an operator in Cranebrook, Sydney. Very interesting units.

'As acquired' is certainly right. The Hino was running around Canberra with Blue Mountains signwriting the first time I saw it.

It would seem that Keirs operate contracted school runs in minibuses, therefore somewhat 'rostered' services. I wonder how many minibuses they have? Up to 20-30 I've heard...
Irisbus Rider
Favourite Vehicle: CC Mercedes Benz 0405

Post by Irisbus Rider »

Thanks for all the info.

"As Acquired" is most definately a good way to put it, but as I may have mentioned, I was unsure if Keirs had purchased these buses brand new (highely unlikely) or acquired which seems to be the case.

As for the minibuses, you're about spot on there, Ben O, these minibuses range from Toyota Coasters to some older Hino's. Nearly all of them are wheelchair accessible, as Keirs operate services to special schools to cater for the needs of the disabled kids that attend these schools.
Busnerd

Post by Busnerd »

Yes, that weird 'Campbell' bus...only thing I know about that is, I have been on it..I think it was in year six, on the way back from the botanic gardens...as for the Starliner, I think that is their newest bus, and I recall back in year nine whenever I had programming I would see it driving between Trinity and Erindale pool all morning :lol:
www.actbus.net | Get On Board
jb17kx
Favourite Vehicle: Irisbus Agoraline

Post by jb17kx »

Oh... And here's me thinking that Keir's fleet consisted entirely of a Coaster saying Kiers Canb on the front...
Selected artistic and gunzel photos from my collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb17kx
Rad

Post by Rad »

A suggestion re the 'Campbell' badge someone may be able to verify.

R M Campbell was a leyland dealer in Chapel Road South at Bankstown. In the 70's and 80's I used to buy spare parts for my Austin and Leyland school buses through them. They also had a car sales yard on the Hume Highway at Chullora where they sold new and used buses similar to Suttons at Arncliffe. It is possible this coach could have passed through their hands at some time and had the 'Campbell' badge added.
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
ScaniaK320
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N. 18.280

Re: [ACT] Foundation Day - Keirs

Post by ScaniaK320 »

MO 109, I have been after a photo of this unit since I left Whyalla City Transport.
This Bus use to be Whyalla City Transport Number 44.
No liked driving her, as she was slow on pickup.

Thank you for the pic.
All tickets and Passes please

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”