[WA] More old Mercs in Govt days

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Member 1269

[WA] More old Mercs in Govt days

Post by Member 1269 »

Here's a few more little gems which I've dug up tonight.

A Mark Lynam shot of 410 at Trigg depot back in the early 1994. 410 still soilders on today but without the digital desto. Mr Herb...check out what's in storage on the back fence..

O305 Merc #434 at the old Causeway depot. This was the one that had the odd doors.

Took these whilst on work-experience at the Kensington Street workshops..Here's 494 which had a really bad front end accident when it was run off the road and crashed into a unit in Marangaroo whilst doing a school trip. It was rebuilt and still serves in the Transperth fleet today.

cheers

Tom
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Wow, I've been so engrossed checking up on the earlier generation of 400-series buses that I missed you posting till now. More great pics - and looks to be a stored Panther up the back in the first photo.

494 was in red & white CityLink livery for its first six months. Didn't know it had such a big bingle.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

Why did 434 have those funny doors, was she a test-bed?

Cheers!
ATDB member's quotes are now on holiday.

Looks like Herbert's H.D. will have to do 'a phoenix'!
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Yes, twice - it originally trialled PMCSA doors (like on Renault artic 698) which I think looked really good, especially the flush-fitting narrow centre door.
newcastle_man_2

Post by newcastle_man_2 »

Do the Kensington Workshops still operate? if so where are they located?
Proud member of the NGTN since 2007 - quality scoops guaranteed!
Member 1269

Post by Member 1269 »

Nope they were demolished somewhere around 1996 to make way for the East Perth redevelopment. There was a fatal accident when they were being prepared for demolision...a worker fell from the roof.

They were on Kensington St on the East side of East Pde just near where the Claisebrook train depot is and Perth CAT depot.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

K Street or Boot Hill is another location I consider to have been hallowed ground - and a world in itself. It was always a thrill to go wandering through there to see what was new - to inspect a new O305 or B21 chassis, the prototype Renault, the Scania, etc. To watch how an old Worldmaster would re-emerge completely refurbished & overhauled - practically a brand new bus. To see decals or destination blinds screen-printed. To watch buses get masked-up & spray painted. To see TIM machines serviced. To see the annual "Kensington St Mile" be run.

Its demise, along with Causeway Depot, will always remain symbolic of the ideological vandalism that brought my beloved MTT to an end.
Bradley_Suiter

Re: [WA] More old Mercs in Govt days

Post by Bradley_Suiter »

I used to work at Kensington Street Workshops and clearly remember the wind down to closure. At the time I was an apprentice Automotive Electrician. Still have a couple of photos of me at my desk. Great to see photos inside the workshop. Brings back many good memories. I'd love to see more. If anyone has them, please email them through to me: bradley.suiter@gmail.com :D

Thanks Brad
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

And to remember the days when Australia still actually had a Manufacturing / Servicing industry. Not like these days with just a stockple of overseas made body parts in wait to be bolted on to accident affected vehicles. Well they say (the beancounters) it is cheaper to do it this way , but I have grave reservations. If you have a workshop being able to repair every facet of bus damage / wear, why would it be more expensive than getting overseas made parts when you are just paying the workers hours and costs of parts? Same thing really when they shut down Australia's steel producing industry, oh the government reckons it is too expensive to make here? well what happens when the Chinese say, right our economy is kicking hard, we can ramp up the price of metals by 300% and what are you going to do about it seeing you shut down your industry?
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

These shots are magnificent!
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”