Moonrakers

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Dave Wilson

Moonrakers

Post by Dave Wilson »

White Super Power or Centralian - have either of you got a shot of A Moonraker.Last I ever saw was at Oatley B S -couldn't get a photo as it was hemmed in.
White Super Power

Re: Moonrakers

Post by White Super Power »

Dave Wilson wrote:White Super Power or Centralian - have either of you got a shot of A Moonraker.Last I ever saw was at Oatley B S -couldn't get a photo as it was hemmed in.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-8823
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-8824
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

many thanks W.S.P.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Hi Dave,
Yes I've got a few but not instantly postable as they're on slides. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll post some onto here (I get them into prints and then scan etc, quality suffers a bit but I'm too stingy to buy a slide scanner). Recall I've got one of Selwoods somewhere, not sure of quality though.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Roadcoach at Goulburn operated a Freighter bodied Hino RC420 with a slightly modified front until early 2004. I'm not sure if it was a Moonraker, but it was new to Hadfields, Engadine. It then was onsold to Bristowe, Hunters Hill where it had a front on accident and was taken to a tip! Roadcoach then found it at the tip, rescued it and remoulded the front..
gen man
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster CRT2/1

Post by gen man »

The best looking Moonraker coach I ever knew of, was Mt.Dandenong Passenger Service (31), the re-bodied Leyland Worldmaster, beautiful looking coach for its time. It lasted almost to the end, before the company was taken over by Ventura, and ended up as a caravan in North Ringwood, but has since vanished unfortunately.
need red GA:521, 831.
AAT-Kings:
2014 - Year of Privatisation!
White Super Power

gen man wrote:The best looking Moonraker coach I ever knew of, was Mt.Dandenong Passenger Service (31), the re-bodied Leyland Worldmaster, beautiful looking coach for its time. It lasted almost to the end, before the company was taken over by Ventura, and ended up as a caravan in North Ringwood, but has since vanished unfortunately.
Does anyone have a photo of the Mt Dandenong Moonraker or the Sinclairs Leyland Mastiff Moonraker that they could/would share with us.
invada1

Post by invada1 »

I could be mistaken but didn't Panther have one during the 70's
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Kingstons (Stawell) Bedford VAM LJY762, photographed in Surfers' Paradise, 17 July 1971:
Bruce Harris photo/Ian Kerr Collection

Associated Tourist Services Albion Viking RDR993:
Bruce Harris photo/Ian Kerr Collection
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Gosh Herbert, those things, especially the last one, look jurassic! The last shot reminds me of a shot I took of an Ashok Leyland in Delhi a few years ago!
White Super Power

Ben O wrote:Gosh Herbert, those things, especially the last one, look jurassic! The last shot reminds me of a shot I took of an Ashok Leyland in Delhi a few years ago!
Thanks Herbert for some shots of real buses much better than todays plastic stuff
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I love the Moonraker name emblazoned so optimistically across the front of the bus in the first shot, but in the second, the livery is rather strange and obscure in its intention.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16677
Here's the Selwood's Moonraker I promised. For some reason I'd always thought that the Moonraker body was built only on Hino chassis. But with people referring to Worldmasters and Leyland Mastiffs then obviously not.
invada1

Post by invada1 »

Ben O wrote:Gosh Herbert, those things, especially the last one, look jurassic! The last shot reminds me of a shot I took of an Ashok Leyland in Delhi a few years ago!
Did you happen to get a shot off the triple deck CCMC that day also in the back ground see discussion http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20877

Love the first photo with bin door partly open driver oblivious
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Centralian wrote: Here's the Selwood's Moonraker I promised. For some reason I'd always thought that the Moonraker body was built only on Hino chassis. But with people referring to Worldmasters and Leyland Mastiffs then obviously not.
This bus was with Selwood's up until as recently as 2003. It would occasionally make it out on a shoppers run from Molong to Orange. However, it spent most of its life tucked away in one of the few sheds not known to enthuisiasts around the Selwood's property. It could still be there today!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Selwoods don't seem to be in the fleetlists?
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Dave Wilson wrote:Selwoods don't seem to be in the fleetlists?
It's been pretty hard for most of us to keep up with the Selwod fleet over the years. They are not enthusiast friendly. Therefore genning the vehicles is very difficult. Their buses are shedded throughout their 'Wellwood' property on the Orange Road, therefore regos cannot be seen if you were to quickly drive your car through. They also have a shed at Molong which is generally locked most of the time.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Surely Vic Hayes would have a list of some sort? The Selwoods might be an Exclusive Bretheren family.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Dave Wilson wrote:Surely Vic Hayes would have a list of some sort? The Selwoods might be an Exclusive Bretheren family.
Vic would would have the most accurate list as to what they operate now. I believe he gained access to a few of their hidden sheds around the property 5 or so years ago.
gen man

Post by gen man »

White Super Power wrote:
gen man wrote:The best looking Moonraker coach I ever knew of, was Mt.Dandenong Passenger Service (31), the re-bodied Leyland Worldmaster, beautiful looking coach for its time. It lasted almost to the end, before the company was taken over by Ventura, and ended up as a caravan in North Ringwood, but has since vanished unfortunately.
Does anyone have a photo of the Mt Dandenong Moonraker or the Sinclairs Leyland Mastiff Moonraker that they could/would share with us.
Here is a very early photo of mine, which I've just scanned (sorry about the sun glare on the roof). It is Mt.Dandenong Passenger Service (31) TV-010 Leyland Worldmaster ERT2/1/ Freighter "Moonraker," which was a rebody of a much earlier Freighter body, and from memory the chassis was either late 50's or early 60's, enjoy :wink: :

AAT-Kings:
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Dave Wilson wrote:The Selwoods might be an Exclusive Bretheren family.
That would go a long way to explaining the following.
Ben O wrote: It's been pretty hard for most of us to keep up with the Selwod fleet over the years. They are not enthusiast friendly.
I came across a few fellow students in my school days who were in this bizarre religion.
They are forbidden from befriending outsiders and watching ,reading or listening to any media.
Some of them were not the most pleasant kids.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Gen Man - is that TV 010 the Moonraker that ended up with Oatley Bus Service in Sydney?
gen man

Post by gen man »

Dave Wilson wrote:Gen Man - is that TV 010 the Moonraker that ended up with Oatley Bus Service in Sydney?
No, it went straight from Mt.Dandy to a camper (only about 5 yrs ago now), and you'll notice it's a rare Victorian TV plate! Though really only a Victorian personalised car plate. They also had at least TV-011 & TV-012 on two other Leylands, and a black & white MO-039 plate on (39), the Newnham Leyland Worldmaster route bus rebody.
AAT-Kings:
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

Hi Dave Wilson
Here is a picture of a post card that Walker's Bus Service produce of there Moonraker.
Sorry about the quality. I could not find my scanner so I took a picture . And i am going to kill my brother who has not taken care of the post card after i loaned it to him to scan. :evil:
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

many thanks CM Hino and Gen Man. Was the Moonraker new to Walkers?

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”