Once upon a time....Saints, Peakhurst Part 1

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Once upon a time....Saints, Peakhurst Part 1

Post by Centralian »

Traded under a variety of names including Peakhurst Bus and Coach Lines, Lugarno Bus Co, H.T Saint & Sons.. Their depot was in Holley Lane, Peakhurst. These images were taken by me in the mid to late '70's and into the '80's. Enjoy.
depot.1.jpg
depot.1.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 42463 times
Remember the days when a 'Keep Out' sign was sufficient security. No razor wire fences, no 24 hour security guards. A shot of Saints depot.
896.jpg
896.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 42460 times
896 was a Bedford YRQ with CCMC body of 1976.
242.jpg
242.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 42463 times
242 was a Bedford Vam70 coach with CCMC body of 1975.

5562.jpg
5562.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 42460 times
5562 was a Bedford Vam70 with MBS body of 1973
4208.jpg
4208.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 42460 times
4208 was an Atkinson with Coachmaster body of 1960.
Last edited by Centralian on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

Yes Centralian it was certainly a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere in those days , i went through many depots without striking any animosity from the owners or workers but i always enquired first from anyone that was around.
That photo of the kids riding their bikes in the yard must have sent shudders through the orange jacket brigade of today.
Last edited by Red and Cream on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invada1

Post by invada1 »

I agree drivers were more relaxed and more aware of everything and everyone they would go out of their way to help OH&S Workcover and Unions as well as people who have abused their presence in depot's have made it difficult.

All great shots Centralian can't wait for the rest.
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
Wrong Way - Go Back

Post by Wrong Way - Go Back »

Although only an infrequent visitor to the district, I remember Saints buses always being turned out immaculately, the 108 to Lugarno Ferry with short workings to Lime Kiln Road, and the 113 to Baumans Road (with that big U-tun across Forest Road before it became a busy thoroughfare).
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

As well as the interesting buses I love the street scenes of Hurstville - almost unrecognisable to what it is today.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Much like Chatswood.Developers live in Point Piper while other areas they have interfered with lose their character.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

Well in all those years the depot barely changed abit!
invada1

Post by invada1 »

memories of going to Ramsgate Baths on double deckers racing for the front seat
Drivers used to get peeved off when kids thew up out the front window

then coming back to school sitting on the back seat of the bus eating choo choo bars
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
Twistie

Re: Once upon a time....Saints, Peakhurst Part 1

Post by Twistie »

Hi Centralian,

Together with my brother I run a Facebook blog, I grew up in Hurstville (https://www.facebook.com/I-grew-up-in-H ... 294570554/). We are always on the hunt for photos for our blog. I was delighted, therefore, to come upon this thread.

I would love to post your photos on our blog. Do I have your consent?

Kind Regards

Twistie
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

No problems twistie as long as you retain my name on the image as the photographer. The photos were posted 'as is' on here back in 2007, can certainly be cleaned up today and made lighter. I'll track down the originals and re post on here in the next couple of days, hopefully in better quality for reproduction.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Twistie

Post by Twistie »

Centralian wrote:No problems twistie as long as you retain my name on the image as the photographer. The photos were posted 'as is' on here back in 2007, can certainly be cleaned up today and made lighter. I'll track down the originals and re post on here in the next couple of days, hopefully in better quality for reproduction.
Thanks so much Centralian. The images as they stand now are great for positing. Unless you're really keen on working on the originals please don't bother for my sake. I will make sure that your name is retained on the image. Cheers.
escapes
Favourite Vehicle: 0404

Post by escapes »

I used to ride my bike to their depot from Oatley just in the hope of seeing the Volgren Twin Deck they had!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Other Saints photos at https://petereid.smugmug.com/Buses/Saints/
I thought it had a photo of the Volgren mentioned in the previous post but it does not. I came across a photo of it recently but can not remember where.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Actually it was in my list of photos to be uploaded into the photo gallery but it was with a subsequent operator in South Australia http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-14936
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”