Once upon a time - Bowman St.Marys PART 1

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Once upon a time - Bowman St.Marys PART 1

Post by Centralian »

Bowmans Bus Service of St Marys operated Route 2 in St Marys and parts of Mt Druittand their depot was in Harris St, St Marys.They eventually became part of the Bosnjak/Westbus group. A couple of their Leopards (captured below) may still be around. Another colour scheme now gone. Enjoy!
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16814
Leyland Leopards 4509 and 874 of 1979 and 1978 vintage respectively.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16821
An early amateur depot shot. Who didn't appreciate at the time the bus lurking at the back of the shed ?

Photo no longer available
Hino BT51 coach 5732 of 1971 vintage photographed for sale in Suttons Arncliffe yard

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16822
870 Bedford Vam of 1976; 5498 Albion Viking 41L of 1969; and 5785 Albion Clydesdale of 1972.
Last edited by Fleet Lists on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Photos - T1200.
KG

Post by KG »

WOW!!! These pics bring back a lot of memories. Thankyou for posting all these photos. I was quite young when Bowman's were a familiar sight around St Marys. If my memory serves me correctly, Bowman's became a part of the Bosnjak's group around 1985/6, and that was when "Westbus" came into usage. I still remember catching a Bowman's livered bus to school up to 1989...even though Westbus had owned the company for a few years.

Funnily enough, not all traces of Bowman's have disappeared from the Penrith and St Marys area. Bowman's Bus Stop stickers can still be found on poles around the Werrington County and Werrington Downs area, particularly John Oxley Drive and Greenbank Drive... the stickered bus stops are placed very high (with the westbus sticker below it), while the stenciled bus stop signs (on the light poles) have stood the test of time.

I know that all their routes were numbered "Route 2", would anyone know where their routes exactly opearated, and did they operate any to Penrith?
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Hi KG,

You ask about Route 2. I'm quoting from the HCVA Fleetlist of 1975 which shows Route 2 as operating 8 runs under this number. All originate from St Mary's Station and spread out to: Nth St Marys; Tregear; Whalan and Mt Druitt Centre; Lethbridge Park; Willmot; Oxley Park and Carpenter St. One service ran from Willmot to Mt Druitt Centre. Bowmans later expanded in the St Clair area as that opened up. Glad you enjoy the photo's. I'm still sorting through my slides so I might have more Bowman's memories hidden away. Will do an update some time, if so.
BonkOh

Re: Once upon a time - Bowman St.Marys PART 1

Post by BonkOh »

Hi, I'm new here...

I own a bus that looks VERY similar to the one far right in the image. Mine has holes where a logo emblem used to be but no lettering below it. the steering wheel has an Albion logo in the centre of it.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16822

I know it's history back to it being used by Martins Bus Company (Albury).

The old rego info on RTA site has it down as a 1977 Albion Clydesdale CD23ALW. Martins owner told me it'a actually a 1972 model. It has non power steering and a small six cylinder (what looks like a Leyland) front mount upright engine. It's got two doors, the rear one is located behind the rear axle.

Does anyone here know enough about these to help me out with more detailed info (mechanical wise) on it? I'm trying to chase some workshop manual info. Martins are searching to see if they have any old manuals for me but chances are slim seeing they sold the bus way back in 1995. I know it's history since then so I'm going to see if I can chase through the past owners and hopefully one of them MIGHT have some text still stashed away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Peter
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Rowes at Glendenning (now known as Busways Blacktown) were a big operator of these type of Albions with door behind rear axle (mainly Vikings with a few Clydesdales mixed in), and of course Bowmans (now history as far as making contact goes). Forest Coach Lines (still about) also had a couple of Clydesdales. Don't know if someone like the Bus Museum at Leichhardt would have old manuals in its collection - but might have the people that could point you in a direction.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Contact Guy_Arab and he might beable to help.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Bus Riders
Favourite Vehicle: Why, m/o156 of course!

Post by Bus Riders »

Peter, You most likely have a Leyland 401. Which state are you in? If NSW speak to the Sydney Road Transport Museum, (NOT the Sydney Bus Museum Leichhardt one), as I know they have a workshop manual for the 401.
A Red and Cream with emerald green lining Coachmaster bodied AEC Reliance AH 505, ahhh, now there's a real bus!
GM

Post by GM »

I have a number of manuals for Albion Vikings and Clydesdale.GM
BonkOh

Post by BonkOh »

thanks people...

the engine does look like images I have goggled (0.401) but I'd like to be certain. is there a marking on the engine that signifies the actual engine model?

Where would I find a chassis number, engine number etc on it? Had a bit of a look and so far not found any. I can't see any ID plates on it either.

If those of you with tech info, manuals etc would be willing to share with me I'd really appreciate it. Even if someone knows of a manual advertised for sale, point me at it.

thanks heaps.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

If you have the original rego papers from the previous owner the engine,chassis and vin numbers should be on those rego papers.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
BonkOh

Post by BonkOh »

No I don't have the original papers unfortunately. I bought the bus unregistered after it had been left at a yard some years earlier. It was more or less 'abandoned' The owner had parked it at a mates factory yard and not bothered with it any more. Paperwork is long gone. It has the last NSW 'private' rego plate still attached so I can track back from that if need be but who knows what info is going to be wrong there... it lists as a 1977 Albion bus though Albion busses ceased production in 1972... I know the engine is the one that was in it when it was last used as a commercial bus. thats for certain. The original owner said he'll see what he can find re info but doesn't think they will have info like rego records etc... it was sold by them 16 years ago.
User7526

Post by User7526 »

Beautiful photos here in this post, I've just gone through so many memories of my childhood right now. Thank you!

Peta.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Peta mechanic wrote:Beautiful photos here in this post, I've just gone through so many memories of my childhood right now. Thank you! Peta.
I'll try and find my Bowmans collection and repost them here in the next day or two. I think back in '07 you could only do 4 photos per post.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
GM

Post by GM »

please refer to my post of April 5 re Manuals. They are for sale. GM

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”