More Lewis Bros

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Beautiful shots there....
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Amongst my "old bus stuff" boxes would be various Lewis Bros fleet lists + colour slides of all buses throughout the late 60's + 70's and on.

Two brothers Norm. & Percy Lewis started the operation, but when I was there (as one of two Group Accountants - group, yes there were 22 companies and not just buses) John Lewis (son of Norm) ran it.

John's desire was to do things "His way", build his own buses (often innovative but not always 100& successful) and this included no destination blinds, boards only and a fleet of many colours and he was a total Leyland fan.

But John would listen to other people, at times, such as importing a double decker (ex City of Oxford AEC Renown no. 362) and changing from Lewsi Brios to simply LB and a new livery style - both my ideas but the latter looks a bit tacky and perhaps silly in retrospect.

Great to work there, always lots of challenge and variations especially during the bust up with the SA Gov't and subsequent abandonment of the urban bus services in Adelaide.

I last spoke to John about 3 years ago, he retains Bulls, but purely as a truck-freight company operating between Adelaide & Darwin.

The history of the Lewis Group would certainly be worth documenting, but rather sooner than later, knowin the ages of some of those involved.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Excellent photos & info, thanks WSO & Tim. How many semi-trailers did Lewis have? Would it be the same trailer being hauled here by this Volvo?

Bruce Harris photo/Ian Kerr Collection
Simes

Post by Simes »

Is it the same "John Lewis" as the company that (or did) supply resturants and cafes?
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Lewis had only one such semi-trailer coach/bus - the unit was one of three, I think, built for the Department of Supply and operated by them at Woomera.

The Volvo PM simply replaced the Bedford TK and was operated by a contractor - Rod Lewis ( from Karoonda near Murray bridge, is no relation to the Lewis faimily) - Rod was the Manager of Salisbury Passenger Services.

John Lewis of Lewis Bros is not the same gentleman as the food chain person.
Simes

Post by Simes »

Tim Williams wrote: John Lewis of Lewis Bros is not the same gentleman as the food chain person.
Ok thanks for that, when I saw references to a group and that he's now in trucking I wondered if the business I spoke of was once part of that group....
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

That Albion American style coach is just out of this world!
I also love that aerodynamic device on the back of that AEC.One has to question wether an AEC ever gets to a speed that requires it!
Wow the 1970s are a pot of gold!An era of truly interesting transport.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

The so called "aerodynamic device" was actually the air intake for the re-located rear engine.

John Lewis liked AEC's as well as Leylands, but he (like many other operators) did not have a good run with the AEC 505 horizonal engine - they were prone to over-heating and then breaking the head gasket.

Hence several buses were rear engined, one at least with a Perkins 6354 diesels -and it was the only horizontal version of that engine in the country. The overhead scoop/air intake provided (apparently) a lot more clean and cooler air flow around the engine than in the mid under floor position.

All the re-engineering and manufacture was done by Lewis at Glynde SA.

That style of air intake for rear engined buses was quite the trend in those days.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Tim, was Salisbury Passenger Service part of the Lewis group of companies? If so, I think there are a couple of photos of the Perkins-engined AEC Reliance in the Bruce Harris/Ian Kerr Collection - I'll post them if people are interested.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes I would be most interested.

I travel with my job quite alot, I fly back to Adl Friday night, and time permitting I will look through my old bus stuff over the weekend as my fleet lists etc. should provide reasonable detail over all Lewis buses.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Australia sure was a hotbed of fascinating buses.A rear engined ,Perkins powered AEC Reliance..I'd never have thought!
Wouldn't this effectively make them a Swift??
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tt1324

treasures

Post by tt1324 »

what wonderfull treasures you guys have. thanks for sharing. any others like Bowmans or Harcourt Gardens. thanks guys
an empty bus is a happy bus
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I know that I have enquired about this before, but if anyone would provide a "how to post photos" on the forum in non-technical speak, I could post all sorts of treasures including some really great black & whites by Neil Mackintosh taken in the 60's mainly in Adelaide, but also a few NSW shots.

I am sure Neil would be happy to have his photos posted, duly acknowledged of course.

I have many colour slides of the late 60's and 70's and colour photos thereafter.

Someone only has to tell me how.................................
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

You need to upload photos to the internet first - that's the hardest part.

Once your pictures are saved somewhere on the internet it is a matter of getting the internet adress of their location (which will generally end in a .jpg) and then place the link in the post window here and put the [img]tags around the address.

As for a place to host the pictures, you'll need to check with your ISP or visit a site such as fotopic which allows you to upload your photos for free.

If in doubt, engage a savvy 9 year old to do it for you!
Job done.
tone167
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. MAN SL200 (1982-2011)

Post by tone167 »

Tim Williams wrote:I know that I have enquired about this before, but if anyone would provide a "how to post photos" on the forum in non-technical speak, I could post all sorts of treasures including some really great black & whites by Neil Mackintosh taken in the 60's mainly in Adelaide, but also a few NSW shots.
First things first ... do you have a scanner at all? You'll need a scanner to scan the photos and slides into your PC. You can pick up a decent scanner for under $100 these days, although one that can scan slides might cost a bit more.

Once the photos are scanned in, use a site like Flickr, Fotopic or Photobucket to upload the images to.

Without knowing how old you are, perhaps enlisting the assistance of a kid/grandkid/niece/nephew who is clued up on computer stuff could be the go? :)

Either way, here's hoping you can get this sorted - the main reason I keep hanging around here and bothering everyone is because I can't get enough of the older pics ... especially when they show vehicles with a bit of scenery around them to put them into some sort of context. The pics in this thread are a prime example of the sorts of pics I love to see (I'm a huge fan of Herbert's work - or more specifically of Herbert channelling the work of Bruce Harris et al through his PC and onto ATDB).

Good luck!
Saab 900 1978-93: The best Scania ever made.
Industry

Once Upon Time - Lewis Bros South Australia

Post by Industry »

We have been seeing some very interesting buses and coaches lately from 50-60's and then came to mine Lewis Bros in Adelaide with their own bodies and the semi-trailer coach from memory that travel to Coober Pedy.

Has anyone have any photos they can share with us of this interesting builder/operator.

I know that theer is a couple in the Redline thread but believe they made many interesting buses and coaches over the years.
Brenton lewis

Re:

Post by Brenton lewis »

Tim Williams wrote:Lewis had only one such semi-trailer coach/bus - the unit was one of three, I think, built for the Department of Supply and operated by them at Woomera.

The Volvo PM simply replaced the Bedford TK and was operated by a contractor - Rod Lewis ( from Karoonda near Murray bridge, is no relation to the Lewis faimily) - Rod was the Manager of Salisbury Passenger Services.

John Lewis of Lewis Bros is not the same gentleman as the food chain person.
This was my farther rod lewis
Any pic of anything lewis bros would be great if u have any
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: More Lewis Bros

Post by Fleet Lists »

The two threads on Lewis Bros have been combined to prevent duplicating answers to the latest request,
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Besides the tho two photo links in the first post, the only photo I can find in the photo gallery is http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13376
Living in the Shire.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I would like to see a history of the company including the bus building.They must have had a variety of chassis.The history should include the transition from Lewis Bros to Quest Tours and where Max Winkless bought Quest Tours in 1985.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Here's one of their buses around 1984.
Attachments
2.29 (499 x 360).jpg
2.29 (499 x 360).jpg (49.36 KiB) Viewed 42266 times

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”