Our Mother in Speyer

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Mother

Our Mother in Speyer

Post by Mother »

Where´s Speyer, I hear you ask.

It´s in southrn Germany on the Rhine River, and a stopover on my Rhine cruise.

I´m actually answering a thread from several months ago about overseas transport musuems.

I´ve found a beauty. It´s the Verkehrs Museum in Speyer. In a beautifully maintained hall, we have steam locos from pre-war Germany, buses, fire engines, cars, trucks and trannsport uniforms.

But outside, we have submarines and aircraft, some of which are mounted on high stilts to give the impression of flying. Among them are an Antonov 22 freighter, a Dassault Mercure (like a 737) from Air Inter and the piece of resistance - a Lufthansa 747 combi, all of which we can enter.

It´s so easy to get to - just a 1.6km flat walk from Speyer station, and a five-minutes´ walk from its town centre and its World Heritage cathedral.

It was featured a few months ago in AIRWAYS magazine, and it´s worth a visit for those interested.
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Yes I was there in March, had a thread on here with the piccies but I think that was lost when we had a server problem some months ago.

Mother you really need to go visit the one in Sinsheim, with the Concorde and Tu-144 supersonic jets, a few more Soviet era aircraft, and lots of trains and cars. You'll need to catch the S-Bahn to Mannheim and then get one of the regional trains (bout an hour away), there is a "Museum" station. (not sure if you still have time to do this!)

Here are my galleries of those museums:
Technik Museum Speyer
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/k ... um_Speyer/

Technik Museum Sinsheim
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/k ... _Sinsheim/

Here's the Lufthansa 747 Mother is talking about at Speyer:
Mother

Post by Mother »

Thank you, Kitkat271.

I saw leaflets about the Sinsheim musuem with its Concorde and Cordcordksi.

Thanks very much for your directions, and I might just have the time to give it a try. I´ll only be free on Christmas Day and Chistmas Eve, but I´ll check whether they´re open, If not, there´s always an excuse to return to Germany.

Return to “Overseas Transport Discussion”