The Shark Net

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Herbert

The Shark Net

Post by Herbert »

Anyone watching this?

The opening scene from last night's episode featured Perth's last AEC bus - preserved 654.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
<smarTTrams>
Location: Capital of Australia's Western Third Avatar: Train Pictogram

Post by <smarTTrams> »

I saw The Shark Net first time round and remember seeing this bus. From memory it is the only time it or another public transport vehicle appears in it.

Though it was great to see a TV drama include a Perth bus, even if only the once.

<smarTTrams>
tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

Was it incidental or was it planned????

Cheers!
ATDB member's quotes are now on holiday.

Looks like Herbert's H.D. will have to do 'a phoenix'!
<smarTTrams>

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Definitely planned, tbc1983 - the story is set in about 1961, so it was seen as part of the suburban setting for the story.

I guess that, unless a film or TV drama is set in the present, the reason that appropriate public transport for the period is not included is because it's hard to get hold of an appropriately preserved vehicle that is roadworthy!

<smarTTrams>

PS
If only someone would make a feature fillm that needed a Perth trolley bus and they were prepared to foot the bill for the Bus Preservation Society to complete the work on the ones they have awaiting restoration!
tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

Cheers for that, <smarTTrams>, I had no idea! :oops:

Now, I'm wondering who was driving 654?... :wink:

Cheers!

The Bell Tower

Post by The Bell Tower »

AEC #654 was driven by BPSWA Vice-President Glen Boorn. He was asked to drive to and pull-up at a bus stop sign. On the first take he misjudged his run and demolished the bus stop sign. He was taken to task by the members of his Rotary Club and was fined accordingly (his fine going to Charity).
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

The filming was done on 27 December 2002. Here's a photo of 654 laying over in Cathedral Avenue beforehand:

Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
<smarTTrams>

Post by <smarTTrams> »

Actually, Herbert, in the final episode (Part 3) the very top left hand corner of the bus came into the frame (intentional) at this very location.

The final scenes were shot in an old Australind "buffet" car or the like as they set off for the East. The final shot was (mercifully) a very long arial shot of a modern Indian Pacific on the Nullarbor. But at least they made the effort!

<smarTTrams>
hij

Post by hij »

As long as they didn't get the TC 4659 plate in the way, it would've looked authentic (or did they replace it temporarily?)

Here's an interesting shot looking up (sorry, wrong bus I know)

tbc1983_

Post by tbc1983_ »

Has anyone sat in those crappy seats of the old Australind dining/snack car? My God, they hurt your arse...(go to the ARHS to find out what I mean). They're semi-circular shaped and you have to be no more than 4'3'' to be able to find them comfortable...

hij, good pic, bro!
Can you imagine some hack who calls himself an architect wants to deface that building with a "contemporary" designed bulding to be built behind? Ewwww!!! *grabs bucket*

Cheers!

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”