2086 and it's new life in Preservation

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Deano
Administrator

2086 and it's new life in Preservation

Post by Deano »

Hi All,

Today we completed the sale of ex UTA 2086 from Premier Motor Service to ME and A. Haviland for preservation. The bus really has no historial significance other than it operated at Waverly for it's entire life, then was towed to Auction around 1994? then Towed to John J Hill, who then operated the vehicle for almost 7years, before passing it onto Premier Illawarra who used it as m/o7945 until August 2005 before withdrawing it. For the past 12 months 7945 has sat concealed in the back of Shellharbour Depot when we discovered this and a few other Mk2's were available for purchase we made our move to secure one which A) is semi-original B) is complete engine wise and C) has a decent enough body condition. ex 2086 met this criteria and 2 months later we picked up the Vehicle.

After filling up the fuel tank we set off onto the F6 Freeway back to Sydney, a place which this bus hasnt been to for over 10 years!

Here's a few snaps of the bus on it's way back to Sydney.

Looking out the window of this Veteran Mk2 which has served Wollongong for the past 10 or so years.
2086 going up one of the 7 very steep grades on the F6 Freeway.
2086 takes a breath at the top of the 5km Mt Ousley climb on the F6 Freeway.
2086 at the end of the Mt Ousley Rd section of National Route 1
2086 entering the northern section of the F6 Freeway
Thanks to Edward and Mosman Is for helping out with it's retrieval today!

Admin No of photos reduced to five.
Last edited by Deano on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rherkes

Post by rherkes »

2086 heading up Penshurst Street at Roseville to it's storage location.
:shock: Where Is it being stored?
Deano
Administrator

Post by Deano »

rherkes wrote:
2086 heading up Penshurst Street at Roseville to it's storage location.
:shock: Where Is it being stored?
That's confidential.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

congradulations deano, all the best with this project

it's got me thinking!!!!!!!!
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

Nice pics of 2086 on the road back to Sydney , Also what's the condition of the interior like.Is there any original STA Stickers inside of the bus? Are the seats still covered in tartan vinyal? Good original MKII example. 8)
MAN 3668

Post by MAN 3668 »

How did she go up the hills of the F6 :?:
Deano
Administrator

Post by Deano »

Very slowly as expected, didn't drop below 35 which is a good sign. Was rather odd taking it on the freeway running at a max speed of 72kmh as opposed to the 110kmh i usually travel at in my car!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Great work - what original features survive on 2086? I notice small route nos but what else. I understand ex 2360 is even more original.
THE INFORMANT
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix
Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard

Post by THE INFORMANT »

MM 7945 destined for a new life I suppose an old driver should give a breif history post it's State Transit Life.- The interior isn't what i would describe as original!!! - I believe it was bought as a non goer and towed to Wollongong in which it was invoved in a fatal Accident with a bike rider (Don't know if it was the tow truck or the bus?) in which it was inpounded for a short time. It had the motor overhauled and it was repaneled in the Wollongong work shop. It also had its blue floor pulled up and replaced with a black one.It was then driven to Sydney and painted by PMC. It served Wollongong Depot for arond 3 years before being transfered to Shellharbour where i drove her quite regulary (It's permanant driver was renowned for having a few self allocated rostered days off!! and i was the spare at the time) It also must be mentioned that it was the only MK2 Of Rutty and John J Hill to be repainted into Premier's Livery!!! Good luck fellas with the resto and keep us posted on it- I look forward to the finshed product. As for 2360 i would say that was more original but the last i saw of her it was in a sad state.
"I am the Crackmister"
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

This is totally unmolested. All hand rails, centre mirrors, demister vents, cetre door release valve, desto box, no battery box side hatch, no safety pakage floor or mirrors, no low water buzzer fitted, lower o\s mirror demister vent pipe, the only thing missing is the add machine and it has had school lights fitted by hills, celling repainted whiteand no3 desto paneled over.
In the words of a "highly succesful bus operator", I choose to be a winner and not a loser! I am now winning!!
mmtranz2002

Awesome Guys...

Post by mmtranz2002 »

Hey there guys, I just thought I would let you know that I think its awesome to see one fairly original looking 0305 being restored.. Good on ya....

Go the Kiwis :-)
newcastle_man_2

Post by newcastle_man_2 »

When where the cutouts on the rear doors done on the PMC buses? This is the only major thing I can see that is not original.
Proud member of the NGTN since 2007 - quality scoops guaranteed!
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

There's a fair bit on the exterior not original, but is testament to the bus' extended life in government and private service.

As you've noted, door cut outs, there's also school lights, new mirrors, newer headlight surrounds, single piece wheels, rubber guards on wheel arches and not visible in the photo is the non original rear light assembly and single piece engine door.
Job done.
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

Good on Deano and Andy Lee for getting this bus. May you have success in its restoration. 8) The more buses preseved - THE BETTER! :D
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
Ray

Post by Ray »

Are you going to keep the rubber edge desto on the front of 2086? I don't think it's original, but it looks nice.

Good idea about getting a private Mk 2. These are the only ones that have the original yellow roof and a whole lot of other stuff that the later withdrawals don't have.
Go Cats.
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

Ray wrote:Are you going to keep the rubber edge desto on the front of 2086? I don't think it's original, but it looks nice.
I doubt taht Deano and Andy Lee will keep that, as, as you say, "It's not original." Leopard 1543 has a pic of 2086 before overhaul on his site. Click the link to see it: http://pics-by-leopard1543.fotopic.net/p30982913.html I know that Deano and Andy Lee are keen to see a Mk2 Merc restored to something-like original. 8) The bus used on the June tour, 2126, is planned to stay in its overhauled format.

Of the however-many Mk2 Mercs that are currently set aside by preservationists such as Andy Lee and Deano, and by the Parker Family, not all will see the road again. The same thing applies with the Leopards that are set aside, both private and ex-Government. The day will come when the 0.305 Merc in Sydney, as a revenue earning veichle, is no-more, and the supply of parts for them becomes much harder to obtain. Therefore, a lifetime's supply of parts needs to be built up, and the best way is to have whole buses to break up...
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”