Opal 3 LGA free zone

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Campbelltown busboy

Opal 3 LGA free zone

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Here's a idea it's called the Opal 3 LGA free zone which is basicly the LGA you tap on in plus 2 neighbouring LGAs say your traveling on the T4 from Cronulla and you tap off at Wolli Creek that would be free as it is in the bayside LGA but fares apply if you tap off at Tempe as it in City of Sydney as the 3 LGA free zone if trip not broken would be Sutherland Shire Georges River and Bayside but braking up the trip by tapping off and back on at Rockdale would restart the trip to make the entire trip to Bondi Juction free as City of Sydney and Waverley would be the other 2 LGAs in the free zone as your restarting the trip in Bayside. Then you have buses which are free no matter how far you go unless you catch the M90 between Moorebank and Burwood as the free zone ends at the LGA border of Strathfield and Burwood as Moorebank is in the Liverpool LGA and the other 2 LGAs of the free zone in that situation would be Canterbury-Bankstown and Strathfield
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Opal 3 LGA free zone

Post by Fleet Lists »

That would get far too complicated.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Shouldn’t this be in the Fantasy section?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

boronia wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:49 pm Shouldn’t this be in the Fantasy section?
I understand that you would think this sounds like something for the fantasy section but wouldn't Eddys trailer bus idea fall under the fantasy section as it's somehow linked to his Parrahub idea
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

We have been through that with Parrahub before and on that basis I tend to leave it here where it is for the moment.
Living in the Shire.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:00 am Here's a idea it's called the Opal 3 LGA free zone ...
Yes it would be far too complicated - if anybody can cast their minds back far enough the former TravelPass zones, and the fact they sold some passes for specific zone groupings/pairings, was complicated enough figuring out the boundaries.
The Zone 1/3/6/7 TravelPass and things like the two-zone TravelPass which you had to be careful not to get a bus that went into the wrong zone (granted the various two zone TravelPass options I recall all did not include zone 1 being the Sydney CBD).

As we saw back in 2020 and 2021 [more so], implementing restrictions by LGA caused enough upheaval - doing transport boundaries that way would not go down too well either.

Given Sydney gave up the zoning fare system when Opal was implemented, I can't see a fare scale like this working.
(Heck it's complicated enough in places that use zones radiating from the central CBD figuring out the boundaries of those).

While I'm at it, I'll throw an example that makes the "LGA" boundary a problem which is near me - St Leonards Station.
More or less just outside the station itself, and going between two office buildings next to the station, are where *three* LGA boundaries meet, and the highway itself is a LGA boundary.
Bus stops on one side would be in one LGA [Willoughby, adjacent to North Sydney LGA] and the other side is actually in Lane Cove LGA.
There is no feasible way of using a LGA boundary as a fare boundary due to examples such as that.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Campbelltown busboy

This idea would be impossible to put into action when it comes to Kingsgrove as the Georges River-Bayside LGA border is actually the middle of Kingsgrove road
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote: Shouldn’t this be in the Fantasy section?
Yes
Campbelltown busboy wrote: I understand that you would think this sounds like something for the fantasy section but wouldn't Eddys trailer bus idea fall under the fantasy section as it's somehow linked to his Parrahub idea
Likewise, that too should be in the fantasy section.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:00 am Here's a idea it's called the Opal 3 LGA free zone which is basicly the LGA you tap on in plus 2 neighbouring LGAs say your traveling on the T4 from Cronulla and you tap off at Wolli Creek that would be free as it is in the bayside LGA but fares apply if you tap off at Tempe as it in City of Sydney as the 3 LGA free zone if trip not broken would be Sutherland Shire Georges River and Bayside but braking up the trip by tapping off and back on at Rockdale would restart the trip to make the entire trip to Bondi Juction free as City of Sydney and Waverley would be the other 2 LGAs in the free zone as your restarting the trip in Bayside. Then you have buses which are free no matter how far you go unless you catch the M90 between Moorebank and Burwood as the free zone ends at the LGA border of Strathfield and Burwood as Moorebank is in the Liverpool LGA and the other 2 LGAs of the free zone in that situation would be Canterbury-Bankstown and Strathfield
There is no such thing as a free lunch, somebody will have to pay somewhere mate and leave my Trailerbus alone as it can make twice the profit with twice the safety.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

"Then you have buses which are free no matter how far you go unless you catch the M90 between Moorebank and Burwood as the free zone ends at the LGA border of Strathfield and Burwood as Moorebank is in the Liverpool LGA and the other 2 LGAs of the free zone in that situation would be Canterbury-Bankstown and Strathfield"
If that was true, why not just make bus travel free rather than keep them purely for one route.
But what about Nightride buses which would travel across more LGA's eg from Penrith to the City.

I think this is just not on.
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:29 pm This idea would be impossible to put into action when it comes to Kingsgrove as the Georges River-Bayside LGA border is actually the middle of Kingsgrove road
And Canterbury-Bankstown Council on the Northern side of the train line with the exception Kingsgrove Avenue (Bayside Council) and Commercial Road (Georges River Council).
Campbelltown busboy

Stu wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:43 am
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:29 pm This idea would be impossible to put into action when it comes to Kingsgrove as the Georges River-Bayside LGA border is actually the middle of Kingsgrove road
And Canterbury-Bankstown Council on the Northern side of the train line with the exception Kingsgrove Avenue (Bayside Council) and Commercial Road (Georges River Council).
The Canterbury-Bankstown side is north of the M5 east in all the times I went to Kingsgrove I only walked on that side of the rail corridor once and the day I did I ended up in Belmore as I walked to the northern point of Kingsgrove road I mostly stayed on the Shaw street or southern side of the rail corridor while in Kingsgrove going back to the pre amalgamation days when the Georges River side of Kingsgrove road was city of Hurstville and the Bayside side of Kingsgrove road was city of Rockdale

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”