Hino Australia pauses bus sales

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
scott

Hino Australia pauses bus sales

Post by scott »

Hino has paused bus sales in Australia indefinitely.
https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... -bus-sales
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: Hino Australia pauses bus sales

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

First Mercedes, now Hino, is Iveco or MAN next on the chopping block to pull out from Australia?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Very surprising. Their buses, while somewhat utilitarian, seem well-liked by the drivers and mechanics I have spoken to.
eddy

Post by eddy »

I think it would be because the world is 2.55 wide and we will fall in line so they will build them cheaper overseas.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Perhaps the decision is an extension of problems mentioned in ABC back in March:
In August 2022, Hino voluntarily chose to suspend the importation and sale of Poncho bus models in Australia.

Hino says the action was taken following the findings of a Special Investigation Committee that identified concerns around Hino's processes relating to vehicle homologation and certification results in Japan.

Now, it is officially withdrawing the sale of the Poncho down under.

"Hino continues to believe that Poncho buses meet the relevant regulatory requirements for the vehicle," Hino told ABC.

"We have made the difficult decision in light of the regulatory processes that apply to the recommencement of sales of a small volume of vehicles."
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

This does make me now concerned for the more rural / regional operators who have / had a tendency to purchase Hino buses and would love to continue using them after their older Hinos are withdrawn from the fleet or are no longer fit for purpose and wish to replace them with newer models.

Isuzu has long left the bus market here unless you want their little integral I-bus on Wheels. Hino has a great reputation without the price tag of the European brand bus so I see why so many operators have chosen and operated them for numerous years.

The average non-integral Hino (The only integral Hino offered in Australia being the Poncho to my knowledge?) gets chucked on with Custom or P&D Coachworks Bodywork. That also concerns me for the future of P&D as they don't really tend to do a lot of Urban / City buses, more for the out of the middle of nowhere country town operators with a small fleet.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

P&D finished up more than a year ago after being flooded out for the third time.
Last edited by 1whoknows on Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One reported off topic item removed.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

No bus sales reported in ABC for June. Wonder what their YTD performance has been ? Don't keep back copies.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”