Tram commuters along Glenelg line facing nine-month closure during overpass construction

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Tram commuters along Glenelg line facing nine-month closure during overpass construction

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: Tram commuters along Glenelg line facing nine-month closure during overpass construction

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Tim Williams

Re: Tram commuters along Glenelg line facing nine-month closure during overpass construction

Post by Tim Williams »

I think that the time frame is totally pathetic - I live close to the Glen Osmond/Fullarton Rd. intersection and the slow progress on this somewhat dubious upgrade is incredibily slow. We often go through the intersection, either by car or on foot and the lack of productivity is blatently obvious - groups of workers just chating and/or on their phones. And the silly part with a number of Adelaide's intersection upgrades that if more thought was put into the traffice light sequences, then most of the delays would be solved. A number of Adelaide intersections have traffic lights which in some cases will allow only 3 or 4 cars across on green, before the red signal reappears and everytime the lights change there has to be a short period where all directions are red - so the more changes there are, the more traffic is held up!!

Just returning to contruction, in Birmingham UK in the 1950's a ,so called temporary flyover, which had been pre-contructed offsite was but in place over one weekend. Similarly, I have seen a magor intesection in Singapore upgraded with an additional traffic lane, including moving signals etc. - all constructed and completed over one weekend.

During the, up to nine month closure of the Glenelg tramline, shuttle services will apparently operate between the Parklands and The Entertainment Centre, with trams trucked off to be maintained, as needed???? Additionally, it will be interesting to see how these shuttle trams will safely and securely stored at night - this could be a vandals delight!!

I also feel sorry for the existing tram drivers, what will become of them over this period.

Our roads are no where near as busy as those in Sydney or Melbourne - I think this and other suggested flyovers are just a waste of money, being unnecessary.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Tim Williams wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:02 pm A number of Adelaide intersections have traffic lights which in some cases will allow only 3 or 4 cars across on green, before the red signal reappears and everytime the lights change there has to be a short period where all directions are red - so the more changes there are, the more traffic is held up!!
I made the mistake of watching some videos YouTube suggested to me about Dutch traffic light sequencing. It makes the programming of our traffic lights seem positively archaic, in comparison.
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

Merc1107 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:02 pm
Tim Williams wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:02 pm A number of Adelaide intersections have traffic lights which in some cases will allow only 3 or 4 cars across on green, before the red signal reappears and everytime the lights change there has to be a short period where all directions are red - so the more changes there are, the more traffic is held up!!
I made the mistake of watching some videos YouTube suggested to me about Dutch traffic light sequencing. It makes the programming of our traffic lights seem positively archaic, in comparison.
This was the temporary arrangement when the South Road diversion was in place to build the flyover. Using traffic lights that are sequenced for priority for the tram, have the tram stop on the approach side, and only short cycle, would be more than adequate for Goodwood Road, Marion Road, Cross Road, and Morphett Road. Jetty Road, Greenhill Road and South Terrace should be upgraded to provide the same priority. South Road, with the major road being built, justifies the bridge.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

My comment regarding traffic light sequencing had nothing to do with temporary arrangements during road and/or bridge works, what I was, in fact, mentioning was that Adelaide's traffic light sequences. for quite a nymber of major intersections are appalling, with very short "green runs" which results in only 3 or 4 vehicles making it through (the intersection) at a time!! If this happened in Sydney, the whole place would grind to a halt.
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

My apologies, I was linking the current arrangements at many of the city intersections with what occurred at South Road. This is actually a good thing from the tram's perspective as it is priority sequencing. The short phases are additional phases in the traffic light sequence nominally just for trams but also allow a few cars thorough. Agree though that it still needs to be more like the Gold Coast where the Tram Driver gets a green on approach.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”