CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Re: Light rail gets the green light: stage 1 UNSW to CBD

Post by J_Busworth »

I honestly can't see why they didn't use the Town Hall turn back for NYE. Buses are all operating to Hyde Park/Town Hall and south of Town Hall the tram runs in the middle of the road, a road that will be open. Seems like a stupid brainless decision from TfNSW again.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
swtt

Post by swtt »

I'll respectfully disagree. It'll be crammed up with people wanting to travel two stops down to Central but couldn't be bothered going downstairs to Town Hall Station.

What I'm a little horrified about is that it's only operating at a 10 min frequency out of Central. Should probably be operating a 4 min headways....
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Presumably the regular Coogee and Anzac Pde buses will be running from Market St, the trams will just be a novelty addition to the mix for those prepared to walk that far.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Any updates as to the opening of the CSELR?

There is still no public announcement on any transport websites such as transportnsw.info; so I believe 7 Dec is now not the opening date, but more likely the weekend of the 14th or 21st of December would be a reasonable assumption for the opening date.

Does anyone know anything otherwise?
Cheers :)
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
boronia

Post by boronia »

From the above release, sometime before NYE.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The date has been locked in, but as the last person who passed on similar information was shot down in flames for not giving up their source, I shall keep shtum.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Transport Buff wrote:Any updates as to the opening of the CSELR?

There is still no public announcement on any transport websites such as transportnsw.info; so I believe 7 Dec is now not the opening date, but more likely the weekend of the 14th or 21st of December would be a reasonable assumption for the opening date.

Does anyone know anything otherwise?
Cheers :)
Recent construction notifications have noted finishing works going on until the 20th Dec (mostly nightwork)
http://data.sydneylightrail.transport.n ... pvOnt55B66

The NYE page is the only official announcement that it will open before 2020 and Gladys has indicated a fare free day (including the 2 weeks to insert the transport data, advertising etc.)

So maybe 21/22 or 28/29 ?
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Yep the date is certainly locked in.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Daniel wrote:Yep the date is certainly locked in.
Locked in it is!

Sydney’s new light rail opens 14 December from Circular Quay to Randwick

Introducing Sydney’s new light rail, a great way to travel between the city and south eastern suburbs.

The L2 Randwick Line includes 14 stops between Circular Quay and Randwick, running through the CBD, Central, Surry Hills, Moore Park, UNSW and ending at the Randwick Hospitals Campus on High Street, Randwick.

High frequency services mean you can just turn up and go and additional services will run from Central Chalmers Street Stop for major events to Moore Park and Royal Randwick Racecourse.

In March 2020 the L3 Kingsford Line will open, adding five more stops between Moore Park and Kingsford at Nine Ways.

Together with the existing L1 Dulwich Hill Line, these new lines form an integrated 24.7 kilometre network of high capacity, energy efficient light rail services.

No need for timetables – just turn up and go

Services start from 5am and end at 1am each day, and run more frequently on weekdays between 7am and 7pm with services every 4 to 8 minutes between Circular Quay and Central, and every 8 to 12 minutes between Central and Randwick.

Greater capacity to keep more people moving

High capacity services get you to key locations efficiently and reliably, easing road congestion. At 67-metres long, the light rail can carry up to 450 people at once – that’s up to nine standard bus loads of commuters.
swtt

Post by swtt »

https://transportnsw.info/sydney-cbd-so ... e-carousel

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

They've certainly taken the "no need for a timetable" to heart this time. There's no timetable on Transport Info, nor any help from the journey planner. Actually the journey planner hasn't been working on any of my devices for several days now. Is it just me or is it down?

I'm very keen to know the journey time, an issue that I was advising on nearly a whole decade ago. The CQ-Central journey time too within that.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Oops. This errant graphic made it on to the TfNSW site:

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... light-rail
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

swtt wrote:Oops. This errant graphic made it on to the TfNSW site:
No, the date is correct. It's 1899, not 2019 and it should say Pyrmont, not Randwick and they've used the wrong file pic. ;)

boronia

Post by boronia »

Sorry, that a Castlereagh St tram, not a George St one 8) 8)
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote:Sorry, that a Castlereagh St tram, not a George St one 8) 8)
All trams look the same to me :wink:
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

"just turn up an go" is nonsense. If I need to travel from Randwick to Circular Quay and then take a ferry ( which runs very infrequently ), then what time do I need to catch the tram at Randwick in order to make the ferry connection ? Or to catch a train to Teralba which only runs every 2 hours ?

"turn up and go" can very easily turn into "turn up and wait" ... for hours.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

tonyp wrote: There's no timetable on Transport Info, nor any help from the journey planner.
Patience. I'm sure one will be loaded in the coming days.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

neilrex wrote:"just turn up an go" is nonsense. If I need to travel from Randwick to Circular Quay and then take a ferry ( which runs very infrequently ), then what time do I need to catch the tram at Randwick in order to make the ferry connection ? Or to catch a train to Teralba which only runs every 2 hours ?

It's just marketing spin. That's what the timetable and journey planner are for. Except that the journey planner isn't working at the moment. Anyone else have that problem?
boronia

Post by boronia »

neilrex wrote:"just turn up an go" is nonsense. If I need to travel from Randwick to Circular Quay and then take a ferry ( which runs very infrequently ), then what time do I need to catch the tram at Randwick in order to make the ferry connection ? Or to catch a train to Teralba which only runs every 2 hours ?

Even if there is a timetable, there is no guarantee the tram/bus will turn up on time, and you could still miss your connection.

If the running time is, say, 40 minutes and the frequency is 10 minutes, then you should plan to be at the stop AT LEAST 55 minutes before the ferry/train departure.
@ The Museum of Fire.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

boronia wrote:Sorry, that a Castlereagh St tram, not a George St one 8) 8)
Want me to go and change the destination and retake the photo then?

Is this one more the thing ?

Yes I know having the 1997 built monster alongside the 1898 built petite tram will offend some.....
moa999

Re: New bus network arising from CSELR (L2/L3) opening

Post by moa999 »

tonyp wrote:There will be a $2 discount on adult Opal and contactless fares for interchanging beteen bus and tram.
As somewhat expected - no change to the underlying Opal system then.

Will therefore be cheaper for people on the distance boundaries (ie 3-6km trips) to swap between bus and light rail.
Pay $2.24+2.24-2 = $2.48 rather than $3.63 for 3-8km range. Think all the L2/L3 lines are within an 8km radius.
Although going Randwick to Lilyfield and beyond on L1 will take you outside the 8km zone.

I think someone had worked out that transfer discounts weren't previously applying for Ferry-LR transfers (really only possible at Pyrmont Bay) (theorising that the LR was defined as a Ferry) - will be interesting to see if that has changed.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote:There's no timetable on Transport Info, nor any help from the journey planner.
Seriously? While the opening date has been well known for a while now, do you really think the L2 data was going to be uploaded so that somebody could steal TfNSW's thunder.
tonyp wrote:I'm very keen to know the journey time, an issue that I was advising on nearly a whole decade ago. The CQ-Central journey time too within that.
A rail replacement bus from Circular Quay to Central can outrun one and that included me having to leg it from Alfred to Bridge St, the bus beat the tram by 2 minutes.
neilrex wrote:"just turn up an go" is nonsense.
IIRC the technical definition of turn up and go is at least every 10 minutes, really it should be than if you miss one tram, no problems as the other one can be seen approaching on the horizon.
tonyp wrote:Except that the journey planner isn't working at the moment. Anyone else have that problem?
Working fine at this end.
Reo
Favourite Vehicle: Deckers-AEC,Leyland,Albion

Post by Reo »

Hi all...maybe a silly question, however will (or)can L2 and L3 use the Central concourse to enable interchange with the L1 ?
Reo
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

L2/L3 will not use the Central grand concourse, they stop at Chalmers Street or Haymarket instead. There is no direct interchange at Central, but if you know your way, walking from Chalmers Street or Haymarket is not too far. Haymarket to Grand Concourse seems closer to me than Chalmers Street to Grand Concourse.

Another possible interchange between L1 and L2/L3 is to interchange at Chinatown (L2/L3) and Capitol Square (L1), as shown in the network map.
https://transportnsw.info/document/4555 ... ap-new.pdf
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
Reo
Favourite Vehicle: Deckers-AEC,Leyland,Albion

Post by Reo »

Thanks Marknut1996. As someone who used the "old" tram network in the 50's, I would have thought that the Concourse would have been a good interchange point for all concerned, keeping everyone out of the weather, very convenient and a lot less confusion !.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”