On Demand Ferry

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

On Demand Ferry

Post by marcnut1996 »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2019/new ... s-precinct
A new On Demand ferry service will make getting around Sydney’s Bays Precinct even easier.

From October, the On Demand ferry will connect wharves at the Fish Markets, Blackwattle Bay and Pirrama Park with Barrangaroo, where you can continue your journey on another ferry, bus or train.

You will be able to book your Ferry On Demand service using the Tranzer app, available on the App Store or Google Play. Or you can book at one of the kiosks located at the wharves.

The On Demand service will be available between 7am and 10pm on weekdays and 8.30am and 7.30pm on weekends. A one way trip is $7.60 for adults and $3.80 for concessions.

The Bays Precinct is popular with both tourists and regular public transport customers. The wharves selected for this trial are not currently serviced by regular ferries so the new On Demand service will help to connect this area to Barangaroo.

The On Demand ferry trial will run for an initial period of six months.

Find out more about On Demand Ferry.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: On Demand Ferry

Post by Fleet Lists »

There is a website https://www.ferryondemand.com.au/ but I have not been able to access it as yet.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I wonder whether this will be included in the Ipart determination for on-demand services as it does not specifically mention buses.
Living in the Shire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Assume this will be using the same ferries from the former Ebay-CQ service?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What ferries were used on that?
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... NOzBFGj-Dg
On-demand ferry trial for Bays Precinct, Barangaroo
Heath Parkes-Hupton, Central Sydney
September 27, 2019 12:19pm
Subscriber only

Fish market site must be developed for ‘public good’
‘The crossing would be a sign of happiness and inclusivity’

An on-demand ferry will soon connect Sydney’s Bays Precinct and Darling Harbour, with trial services set to begin next month.

In what the State Government is calling Australian’s first true on-demand ferry service, commuters and tourists will be able to use their phones to book a seat on the 12m MiniCat from 7am to 10pm week days and 8.30am to 7.30pm on weekends.

Transport Minister Andrew Constance said the service would offer “more versatile, personalised” transport options.
Greens state Balmain MP Jamie Parker with the new on-demand ferry serving the bays precinct in Sydney. Picture: Tom Dunn
Greens state Balmain MP Jamie Parker with the new on-demand ferry serving the bays precinct in Sydney. Picture: Tom Dunn
The Me-Mel will sail in Sydney's Bays Precinct and Barangaroo. Picture: Supplied
The Me-Mel will sail in Sydney's Bays Precinct and Barangaroo. Picture: Supplied

“We’ve seen a great response to our on demand bus trials. Now we’re going to see this on demand ferry taking people around our beautiful Harbour city,” he said.

“The Bays Precinct is popular with both tourists and our more regular public transport customers.
MORE IN newslocal
Fig and Wattle a major development in Pyrmont from Landream. Picture: Tzannes
Old quarry site’s planned transformation
Old quarry site’s planned transformation
Staff at Danias Timber yard standing with opposition leader Anthony Albanese in front of a "Welcome Albo" sign.
Albanese: ’people are missing out here in the inner west’
Albanese: ’people are missing out here in the inner west’

“The wharves selected for this trial are not currently serviced by regular ferries so the new on demand service will help to connect this area to the major transport hub at Barangaroo.”
Minister for Transport Andrew Constance said the trial was part of a growing on-demand trend. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins
Minister for Transport Andrew Constance said the trial was part of a growing on-demand trend. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

A 43-seat MiniCat with a capacity of 60 passengers will serve the densely populated area, including the suburbs of Pyrmont and Glebe, for six months.

There will be stops at Sydney Fish Market, Blackwattle Bay Park, Pirrama Park at Pyrmont and business district Barangaroo.

Customers will be able to book a seat through the Tranzer app, at ticket kiosks or by calling over the phone.
The Sydney Fish Market will be a key stop on the service. Picture: Christian Gilles
The Sydney Fish Market will be a key stop on the service. Picture: Christian Gilles

Balmain state Greens MP Jamie Parker welcomed the move but cautioned its cost may deter patronage.

Services are set to start in October and will cost $7.60 for a one-way adult pass, and $3.80 for concession commuters.

“The idea for this ferry service was born here in Glebe and for the last three years I’ve been pressing the government to get it done,” Mr Parker said.

“If it’s going to work, this services needs to be considerably cheaper than an Uber into Pyrmont.
Jamie Parker was concerned about the cost of tickets. Picture: Tom Dunn
Jamie Parker was concerned about the cost of tickets. Picture: Tom Dunn

“I’m calling on the government to make the Glebe ferry permanent, Opal compatible and more affordable for commuters.”

Private operator Transdev, which runs several bus services around Sydney on behalf of the State Government, will carry out the trial.

The first vessel is dubbed Me-Mel, a Gadigal word for what local Indigenous people call Goat Island.
Commuters can book a spot on their mobile phones. Picture: Supplied
Commuters can book a spot on their mobile phones. Picture: Supplied

It is unknown whether the service will continue after the trial period ends.

Captain Cook Cruises and Uber have previously offered on-demand ferry services, but the government claims they were not true on-demand services as they were timetabled services commuters could book on an app.

The MeMel will not operate to a timetable and be at the whim of commuter requests.

On September 13 an on-demand ferry service ran by Captain Cook Cruises from Elizabeth Bay was discontinued due to “significant cost pressures”.

The service was introduced in December 2018 but did not attract the expected patronage.
The recently discontinued Elizabeth Bay on-demand ferry service.
The recently discontinued Elizabeth Bay on-demand ferry service.
Last edited by boronia on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Fleet Lists wrote:What ferries were used on that?
https://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney-h ... bby-fleet/
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

The ferry in question Me-Mel was noted on Saturday evening 28/9/19 moored at Barangaroo wharf.Covered in all over advertising for on demand ferries,including the windows.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I hope it has better luck than its namesake that was sunk in a collision in Darling Harbour in 1914:

burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Lets hope so Tony.
.Yet another interesting trial.There is some good pax potential in this densely populated and tourist orientated area.
The vessel size and therefore the cost of running the service is the major factor why this service,in my book,will not work.
For on demand to work with ferries the vessel size needs to be more like a water taxi size-that is 12-16 seats.
In bus terms this is like running a 45 seat full size bus on an demand service instead of a 12 seat Hiace.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

A "tourist" vessel with advertising spots all over the windows - disgusting!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

burrumbus wrote:Lets hope so Tony.
.Yet another interesting trial.There is some good pax potential in this densely populated and tourist orientated area.
The vessel size and therefore the cost of running the service is the major factor why this service,in my book,will not work.
For on demand to work with ferries the vessel size needs to be more like a water taxi size-that is 12-16 seats.
In bus terms this is like running a 45 seat full size bus on an demand service instead of a 12 seat Hiace.
It strikes me as an expensive-looking bespoke purchase. Something smaller and off the shelf would be better, as you say.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Also see the Transdev Sydney Ferries website http://www.beyondthewharf.com.au/ferry-on-demand/

And a better photo of the ferry http://www.beyondthewharf.com.au/ And I dont think there is advertising all over the windows.
Living in the Shire.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Why does it have to be so ugly?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

lunchbox wrote:Why does it have to be so ugly?
It may have inner beauty.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2019/new ... s-precinct has been updated to show that the service commenced on Monday 14th October
Living in the Shire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

It's a different App to the one Captain Cook used for the EBay-CQ trial.

The few comments on the app on the Google Play store are all about Amsterdam and Rotterdam, as are the screenshots.
jpp42

Re: NSW Ferry Observations 2019

Post by jpp42 »

I went to use the new "on-demand" ferry from Barangaroo last week. I arrived to Barangaroo around 6:20 pm and downloaded the app to try to book a place on the next ferry. The only available "trip" showing was departing at 10:00 pm! However there was a ferry tied up at the wharf clearly accepting passengers. I spoke to the deckhand who directed me to use the kiosk machine on the wharf to make my booking. This was also showing 10:00 pm as the next trip. I explained this to the deckhand and he let me on. The ferry left promptly at 6:30pm which apparently was its planned timetable (so much for "on-demand."). He was still able to charge me a fare (from a handheld credit card device), even though I hadn't booked.

I got off at Pirrama Park, Pyrmont, but was the only one doing so. There were about 10 others who were going to Glebe - reasonably good loads I'd say.

Seems like an interesting idea but maybe just having a normal timetabled ferry between these wharves would work out just fine too.

Edit: moderator, I see there is a better thread for this, can you add to the "On Demand Ferry" thread?
Done.
grog

Post by grog »

Anyone know how many crew are required to run these vessels?
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

grog wrote:Anyone know how many crew are required to run these vessels?
They are operated by two crew, a skipper and a deckhand. The skipper holds dual tickets: Master < 24m NC ("Master 5") and Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 (MED3) ticket. I'm not sure if the deckhand holds GPH tickets or not - they are not required to under current maritime laws if the SMS provides other appropriate means to ensure the deckhand is qualified - this would depend on the details of the Transdev SMS. However, for the main HCF/Sydney Ferries operations, they have signalled a desire to keep using the GPH qualification.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”