PTA / Transperth & Private Observations - 2019

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

sylar

Re: PTA / Transperth & Private Observations - 2019

Post by sylar »

I spotted 1974 at Cockburn Central early this morning, I haven't seen it around the Rockingham area for a fair while now so might be on loan or been moved to Freo.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

sylar wrote:I spotted 1974 at Cockburn Central early this morning, I haven't seen it around the Rockingham area for a fair while now so might be on loan or been moved to Freo.
Hmmm, good point. I pinged 1974 on a 501 at Freo on 21/8, now I think about it I haven't seen it around Rocko for a while either.

2836-38 at Shenton Park, should all be in service now. I believe these three are replacing 1550, 1551 and 1338

2950 and 51 at Joondalup, likely 2952 too but didn't see it in the depot yesterday (but it wasn't in Welshpool so it's gone somewhere).
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Word on the street is that 1399-1413 have moved from WP to M, in exchange for 2700-2710, 2727 and 2728.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Not sure if this is an observation, as such, but it is news related to Transperth.
CoastLive Article wrote: Pinjarra bus depot set for construction

Wednesday, September 4th, 2019 9:27am
By Hannah Salt

A $2.3 million project to build a new bus depot in Pinjarra will begin construction this week.

So far, 47 per cent of subcontractor work has been granted to local Peel and South-West businesses.

The Harries Way bus depot is expected to be completed by early 2020 and will initially house nine buses. Once fully-developed, it will be able to hold around 30 buses.

The new site is expected to take significant pressure off of the Mandurah Depot, which is currently at capacity.

Member for Murray-Wellington Robyn Clarke said the new bus port is a win for the Pinjarra community.

"I speak to local Pinjarra residents all the time and they continually raise the issue of public transport with me," she said.

"While this is a big step forward, I know how important increased bus services are to our community, and that's something I am continuing to fight for."

Currently, Pinjarra buses must travel 18km from the Mandurah depot before entering service, as well as travel back at the end of the shift.

Operating without passengers for a long distance each day creates significant costs for extra fuel and maintenance.

Reducing this will also minimise the risk of timetable delays if a bus gets stuck in traffic on the way to its starting point.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Bus-1809 wrote:1399-1413 have moved to Malaga.
They were at Malaga since last Friday.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Bus-1809 wrote:Word on the street is that 1399-1413 have moved from WP to M, in exchange for 2700-2710, 2727 and 2728.
2711, 12 and 14 moved to Welshpool as well
Bus-1809

Post by Bus-1809 »

For those who are unaware, 2960 is the first B8 for the new contract. It is currently touring the depots, so that drivers can have a look at the changes that have been made, that will affect them.

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Squiddy wrote:I could only see the tiniest glimpse of it in the back of the workshop. It has a reversing camera, but it doesn't look like a standard fitting so I would assume it's for training purposes more than anything, but other than that it seems pretty much the same as the B8s we have. I assume most of the differences would be in the driver's cab, ie. button layouts and such.
While it also has cameras, B8RLE's delivered from this contract has the Thoreb display on the left of the gauge cluster rather than above the driver. It's also equipped with a fire suppression system and a sensor which detects an object within the door threshold and that it reopens the door if it does.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Zidanehartono wrote:
Squiddy wrote:I could only see the tiniest glimpse of it in the back of the workshop. It has a reversing camera, but it doesn't look like a standard fitting so I would assume it's for training purposes more than anything, but other than that it seems pretty much the same as the B8s we have. I assume most of the differences would be in the driver's cab, ie. button layouts and such.
While it also has cameras, B8RLE's delivered from this contract has the Thoreb display on the left of the gauge cluster rather than above the driver. It's also equipped with a fire suppression system and a sensor which detects an object within the door threshold and that it reopens the door if it does.
Yes, I realise I was wrong about the rear camera being non-standard too.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Zidanehartono wrote:While it also has cameras, B8RLE's delivered from this contract has the Thoreb display on the left of the gauge cluster rather than above the driver.
I'd like to think that's a relief for some drivers not having to look down left, right up and back again.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
sylar

Post by sylar »

sylar wrote:I spotted 1974 at Cockburn Central early this morning, I haven't seen it around the Rockingham area for a fair while now so might be on loan or been moved to Freo.
1974 is back in Rockingham as it was seen at Warnbro station this arvo on route 557
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

2960 (or at least I think it's that, since it has the new side cameras) has made it to Southern River, while on its tour of the depots.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Bus-1809

Post by Bus-1809 »

So far 2960 has been to at least: Malaga, Welshpool, Southern River & Canning Vale.

Changes so far, from the B7's:

Centre Door Camera
Reverse Camera
Side Cameras that activate when the indicators are switched on (display on the Thoreb)
Fogmaker Fire Suppression System (Has Fogmaker status panel on dash, same as fitted to some private operator buses)
Thoreb C90+ Display has been moved to left wing of the dash, below the Volgren Touch Panel. Space for the Two Way Radio is below the Thoreb unit.
New door control mechanisms.

TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Bus-1809 wrote:So far 2960 has been to at least: Malaga, Welshpool, Southern River & Canning Vale.

Centre Door Camera
Reverse Camera
Side Cameras that activate when the indicators are switched on (display on the Thoreb)
Fogmaker Fire Suppression System (Has Fogmaker status panel on dash, same as fitted to some private operator buses)
Thoreb C90+ Display has been moved to left wing of the dash, below the Volgren Touch Panel. Space for the Two Way Radio is below the Thoreb unit.
The side cameras that activate when the indicators are turned on is called blind spot monitoring most of it’s probably just compliance with new regulations by the EU & UN which will come into affect from next year so the vehicle can be sold and driven I’d say they would have a few other safety features such as AEB and lane keep assist. PTA & the minister probably looked at ways the new buses can be made safer than the outgoing models the federal government is also looking at legislation that mandates certain specific safety features for heavy & light vehicles, for Volvo all of their safety features fall under the “city safety” package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Bus-1809 wrote:So far 2960 has been to at least: Malaga, Welshpool, Southern River & Canning Vale.

Centre Door Camera
Reverse Camera
The side cameras that activate when the indicators are turned on is called blind spot monitoring most of it’s probably just compliance with new regulations by the EU & UN which will come into affect from next year so the vehicle can be sold and driven I’d say they would have a few other safety features such as AEB and lane keep assist. PTA & the minister probably looked at ways the new buses can be made safer than the outgoing models the federal government is also looking at legislation that mandates certain specific safety features for heavy & light vehicles, for Volvo all of their safety features fall under the “city safety” package

Bus-1809

Post by Bus-1809 »

I see... I always thought a 4 speed Semi-Auto and Arm Strong Steering were acceptable in 2019 :lol:

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Bus-1809 wrote:I see... I always thought a 4 speed Semi-Auto and Arm Strong Steering were acceptable in 2019 :lol:
Yea but the technology safety packages such as AEB minimise the chance of a collision event in particular an at fault rear end low speed collisions. Buses and heavy vehicles in general do have a lot of blind spots not just when it comes rear visibility but also lane changes and for buses exiting stands and merging right back into traffic regular blind spot monitoring obviously wouldn’t work so cameras have to be used I’ve been stuck behind a bus before on Westfield road pulled up at a stop and if I were to pull out and overtake the driver wouldn’t have seen me I was in his/her blind spot so it reduces the potential for side on impacts, the reversing camera would aid in rear visibility in particular around schools where small primary school aged children aren’t within rear visibility or rear manoeuvrability visibility in general arm strong steering is good in theory but technology and safety packages aid in driver and passenger safety PTA has a responsibility that it’s fair paying passengers get to and from their destination as safely as possible and if the potential for accidents can be reduced then I’m personally all for it
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Any ideas where 2960 might be headed next? Judging by the current movement, I suspect it'll be at either Rockingham or Palmyra before long.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Bus Suggestions wrote:Any ideas where 2960 might be headed next? Judging by the current movement, I suspect it'll be at either Rockingham or Palmyra before long.
I'll keep an eye out for it seeing as I live close to Rocko depot.

In other news, a good mix of buses from all three operators on Mandurah-Rockingham emergency rail today.

Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

A Transwa Irizar i6-bodied Volvo B11R (Fleet no. ?) has become a victim of an incident on Indian Ocean Drive.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Not sure which one it was but one of the TransWA road coaches was involved in a head on collision along Indian Ocean drive

Bus-1809

Post by Bus-1809 »

TP1462 wrote: Yeah but the technology safety packages such as AEB...
'Twas meant as a joke, TP1462. I understand why it's all there. One thing that puzzles me though, is that the PTA were offered School Wig-Wags on the B8's yet once again refused them... I ALWAYS, use the Wig-Wag's if I have a bus equipped with them.

Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Incoming private observation.

Carbridge Perth has an electric vehicle - EV14, a BYD K9 (marketed as the Carbridge Toro). This is supposedly ex Transport Canberra, too.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

One of the first times I’ve taken the train in awhile and the A sets are really starting to show their age now the doors (both sides) aren’t working on set 246 Armadale C pattern to Perth the trailer door is jammed so it’s very noisy and to top it off the speaker isn’t working and this was a substitute for the 13:00 3car it’ll probably get cancelled when we get it into the city

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

TP1462 wrote:... the A sets are really starting to show their age now the doors (both sides) aren’t working on set 246 Armadale C pattern to Perth the trailer door is jammed so it’s very noisy and to top it off the speaker isn’t working and this was a substitute for the 13:00 3car it’ll probably get cancelled when we get it into the city
Now I'm not sure of how a train depot runs, but if the service was a substitute and they were short on rolling stock, then it seems conceivable the train you wound up with had to be put into service before some defects could be rectified.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”