• Advertisement

Various electric buses at TSA.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: TSA Electric buses built by Gemilang Australia.

Postby tonyp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Yes that's what I recall now. So evidently there was a deliberate reasoning behind choosing the portal axle (enabling low floor) version over the standard axle (forcing high floor at the rear). I can't think of any reason for that other than they deliberately wanted a low floor. By the bye, I've often wondered, is a portal axle more costly than a standard axle (assuming no hub motors)?
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby tonyp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Looks like they might soon be joined by the Yutong:

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... Ry3XzHo6j8
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Two earlier posts about this have also been moved from private observations to here including one from tonyp - will also change title of this thread.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Tongans101 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm

tonyp wrote:Yes that's what I recall now. So evidently there was a deliberate reasoning behind choosing the portal axle (enabling low floor) version over the standard axle (forcing high floor at the rear). I can't think of any reason for that other than they deliberately wanted a low floor. By the bye, I've often wondered, is a portal axle more costly than a standard axle (assuming no hub motors)?

Yes, portal axles are more expensive and heavier too. Even without hub motors.
Tongans101

Re: Various electric buses at TSA.

Postby Daniel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:31 pm

The Yutong has been at TSA Leichhardt since Tuesday.
Daniel
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Postby tonyp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 am

Tongans101 wrote:

SInce the purpose of a portal axle is to enable low floor, one could be forgiven for asking why one would fit a more expensive and heavier bit of kit if it's not going to be used for the purpose for which it's designed!
tonyp

Postby Tongans101 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:36 pm

tonyp wrote:
Tongans101 wrote:

SInce the purpose of a portal axle is to enable low floor, one could be forgiven for asking why one would fit a more expensive and heavier bit of kit if it's not going to be used for the purpose for which it's designed!

Not sure what your point is, if indeed you are trying to make one.

1. You can't fit hub motors to a standard axle.
2. The BYD chassis has hub motors on its portal axle
3. All the batteries required to meet customer requirements cannot be all fitted to the roof and so are fitted behind the rear axle. Ergo no low floor.
This has all been explained in previous posts.
Tongans101

Postby tonyp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Tongans101 wrote:

3. All the batteries required to meet customer requirements cannot be all fitted to the roof and so are fitted behind the rear axle. Ergo no low floor.

Your points 1 and 2 answer the question in respect of the BYD thanks. This is the information I was looking for. Not all low floor electric buses have hub motors (see drawings below). What about the Yutongs?

https://www.skoda.cz/data/catalog/6/73/3814.pdf
tonyp

Postby Tongans101 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:58 pm

tonyp wrote:
Tongans101 wrote:

Your points 1 and 2 answer the question in respect of the BYD thanks. This is the information I was looking for. Not all low floor electric buses have hub motors (see drawings below). What about the Yutongs?

https://www.skoda.cz/data/catalog/6/73/3814.pdf

I don't think I said that all low floor buses had hub motors. They do all have portal axles which are still heavier than "conventional" axles. Don't know about the Yutongs. I know the model being trialled is not the latest version.
Tongans101

Postby RonB1949 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Are the BYDs or Yutong in service at the moment? What routes/trips are they doing please?
Thanks
RonB1949

Postby moa999 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:17 pm

See post #44 and prior.
You can track them using the Electric filter on anytrip.com.au

Haven't seen the Yutong active, presumably needs some restickering first.

On other trials, is there any timing known for the Randwick trial, which I believe was budgeted for $10m for 10 buses including charging installation costs.
moa999

Postby Stu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 pm

The handful of drivers who are in the electric bus roster are beginning to be rostered training for the Yutong. There will also soon be a relief line for the electric bus roster. I suspect that all five electric buses could be out at the same time as there are more than just 4 x shifts created for the current 4 x BYD's, there are other shifts that may be rotated in future.

I would presume that the electric buses for STA R-Depot may start appearing near or after the Region 9 bus network changes are implemented. The new network would most likely require less buses, this would be a good time to easily retire older buses plus an additional 10 x older Scania low entry models with the electric buses.
Stu

Postby tonyp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:55 pm

A random look at Anytrip right now reveals a couple of BYDs in the eastern suburbs on 440 and 389. None in the inner west, though one was there earlier in the day.
tonyp

Postby RonB1949 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Looks like you can only filter to bus type on the website, not the app. When will the trial end?
Thanks
RonB1949

Postby tonyp » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 pm

The app is pretty poor compared to the website.
tonyp

Postby Fleet Lists » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:18 pm

What website are we talking about?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby tonyp » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:45 pm

Any Trip
tonyp

Postby BanksfielderIdiot823 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:What website are we talking about?

anytrip.com.au, which to be absolutely honest, I agree with TonyP; it is better than the app.
Just forever waiting for a Volgren Optimus, let alone a Volgren Optimus Volvo B9TL, to cruise by Edensor Park...
Formerly of Bankstown City until that council amalgamation...
BanksfielderIdiot823

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren bodies on Volvos

Postby Tongans101 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm

RonB1949 wrote:Looks like you can only filter to bus type on the website, not the app. When will the trial end?
Thanks

The trial is for 2 years but likely the buses will be kept as TfNSW has a proposed 10% replacement to alternate (to diesel) powered buses
Tongans101

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:36 am

moa999 wrote:Haven't seen the Yutong active, presumably needs some restickering first.

They’d need to install Opal readers on the bus too? As down in Nowra I don’t think the services down there are Opal enabled.

But definitely a repaint in TfNSW livery I can see happening
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Postby tonyp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:37 am

Jurassic_Joke wrote:They’d need to install Opal readers on the bus too? As down in Nowra I don’t think the services down there are Opal enabled.

But definitely a repaint in TfNSW livery I can see happening

Yes, would need Opal readers and isn't a "repaint" just wrap nowadays?
tonyp

Postby Tim Williams » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:32 am

When it comes to discussion about electric buses and probably other technical matters you blokes really get bogged down in the minutiae of the chosen subject, but perhaps it is of more interest and more beneficial looking at the bigger picture of current technical developments etc.

For example the BYD /ADL are making good progress with the sales of their Enviro 400EV, which have now reached 100, maybe more with, solid orders from London, Birmingham and Manchester - there is a very good technical article by Alan Millar in July's Buses Magazine, which details all the technical stuff without resorting to pure "rivet counting". ADL also provides photos and sales information on their website about these electric buses. The degree of industry confidence is shown by their order book and that the Enviro 400EV will be entering into full (squadron) service in the places mentioned above, nut just small experimental batches as happened to date.

Buses magazine does also state that the full order book for BYD/Alexander Dennis electric buses (both single and double deck) is now up to 276 - a pretty impressive number and this does include quite a number for New Zealand.
Tim Williams

Postby Rad » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:38 am

They’d need to install Opal readers on the bus too? As down in Nowra I don’t think the services down there are Opal enabled.

Buses in Nowra and Kiama on town services have Opal readers
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
Rad

Postby Swift » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:59 am

Stu wrote:The new network would most likely require less buses, this would be a good time to easily retire older buses plus an additional 10 x older Scania low entry models with the electric buses.

I sure hope they don't retire the wheelchair compatible ones first!
I think it's time to bite the bullet and cease ordering toxic diesel buses for good. Electric gives a better ride for starters and I have heard that Volvo trucks in Europe are going electric.
MAN SL200 & Mercedes 0 305:essentially the same bus.
Brisbane: SL200, Sydney 0305, Canberra both, Melbourne SL200, Hobart neither, Adelaide both, Perth 0305, Parramatta Ryde SL200 :P
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby tonyp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:18 am

Thank you for the information on the ADL buses Tim - plenty of minutiae to bog myself down in there! ;)

I guess I look at it as a BYD bus with a body by yet another bodybuilder. I couldn't find any inside views of the double decker but it was a good ceverage of the single decker. Once again I am impressed by the centre door being as far back as possible but once again puzzled why they don't have a fully low floor (stepless gangway) as the diagram doesn't indicate that there is anything under the rear aisle (no batteries for example). The Yutong E12s in the UK have fully low floor, so perhaps it's a BYD thing. Also the description doesn't mention approximate range which I think is a fairly critical bit of information that should be available.

I think in Australia we are still cautiously trying out the technology before jumping in at the deep end with big orders. Much smaller market than the UK too. However, NSW is being quite progressive trialling electrics when other states so far have only dipped into diesel hybrids. The Bustech/Precision electric trial in Adelaide seems to have quietly died (?).
tonyp

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW