CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Light rail gets the green light: stage 1 UNSW to CBD

Post by boronia »

The old Water Board property between McEvoy and Lachlan has been vacant for years. Disappointing that action has not been taken before to repurpose part of it as a roadway.

I think that building in the middle has some heritage listing. They were planning on building a fire station on the site a few years back.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

mubd wrote:Increasing a road's speed limit does NOT increase throughput. It actually reduces it past 40km/h due to factors like increased stopping distances (even with most motorists' known disregard for safe stopping distances). That's why speed limits are reduced on freeways in times of congestion.
Totally disagree. Who said it's got anything to do with throughput? We're talking about upgrading a major east/west arterial road similar to Cleveland St, which suffers significant congestion in peak hours, and has been planned for decades long before WestConnex was proposed. It's not some quiet suburban back street. To impose a 40km/h speed limit would be a gross overreaction to appease the inner city NIMBYs. Can you seriously imagine the backlash from the public if a similar speed limit was imposed on other major arterial routes? It's bad enough with the school speed zones. I can't believe they're even considering this. Comparing this with the higher speed limits on freeways/motorways is irrelevant.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote:Let's leave maximum speeds to the Shinkansen.
Maximum speeds come into play only when there's a longer distance between stops or stopping, whether you're talking about trains, trams, buses or motor traffic in urban areas.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Low concrete barriers have been placed along the tracks in Anzac Pde Kensington. Initially they were on the outside edges, ideal for keeping vehicles off the tracks, but now they are being added between the two tracks as well.
DSC03513 (Small).jpeg
DSC03513 (Small).jpeg (119.15 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
DSC03514 (Small).jpeg
DSC03514 (Small).jpeg (140.57 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
This suggests they may be planning on running buses on the tracks. I see a bus lane has been provided from the roadway onto Anzac Pde adjacent to the tram exit.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I did see some reference to this back in the days of the initial studies/EIS. I think there was also a reference to the buses leaving the tramway to pull over at kerbside bus stops then rejoining the tramway (the notion of stopping buses at tram platforms being too much to embrace in NSW apparently). So if this was the case you might see some breaks in these berms to enable buses to enter and leave the tramway (?).
ed24

Post by ed24 »

Can emergency services vehicles use the CSELR - particularly the Moore Park tunnel?
boronia

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote:I did see some reference to this back in the days of the initial studies/EIS. I think there was also a reference to the buses leaving the tramway to pull over at kerbside bus stops then rejoining the tramway (the notion of stopping buses at tram platforms being too much to embrace in NSW apparently). So if this was the case you might see some breaks in these berms to enable buses to enter and leave the tramway (?).
I think this applied to express services which wouldn't be stopping in the tram catchment.

The work is not finished so it is hard to see where the access points are. I will have a closer look at the weekend.
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Some noise complaints... Assume this is on Wansey, albeit sounds like a bad join somewhere.

https://twitter.com/hjmg/status/1148480 ... 32544?s=19

https://twitter.com/hjmg/status/1148474 ... 73664?s=19
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

moa999 wrote:sounds like a bad join somewhere.
On continuously welded track? Maybe it's the vehicle not the track.

They're making level redoing the caulking in the slab joins, but that's very unlikely to be related to the noise

This is the work on the join opposite 25 Wansey Rd where that video appears to be taken from
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A combination of not exactly the quietest tram on the market and a concrete track base that amplifies and radiates the noise. This is one reason why grass is used. Even ballast would be quieter. This is from an early point on the NSW learning curve.

That regular click seems related to the track. If it was a flat, the noise would travel on with the tram.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Light rail effect chimes in:

https://www.domain.com.au/news/queensla ... ce-858924/

Surry Hills was the strongest source of opposition to the tram.
gascoyne

Post by gascoyne »

I wonder what's happened to house prices in Devonshire St.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

tonyp wrote: That regular click seems related to the track. If it was a flat, the noise would travel on with the tram.
The rails need a few passes with a proper scrubber tram. I've noted walking up and down Devonshire Street that the trams rattle over EVERY welded joint in the rails. The neighbours WILL complain. (Or at least the ones looking for anything to complain about, and there are always a few of those around.)

The joints look like they have only been finished a hand grinder after welding.

They were offered the use of a specially built machine with a proven track record of reducing track noise, but so far they haven't come knocking.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

matthewg wrote:They were offered the use of a specially built machine with a proven track record of reducing track noise, but so far they haven't come knocking.
Haven't you said to me before Matthew that Transdev has their own scrubber machine that they may use once the line is handed over to them? That would not be the machine you're talking about here right? But if all else fails, they could use our old Essanee rail grinder at Loftus! :lol:
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

In other news, Sydney Light Rail's Facebook page has been promoting this adorable little shunter that'll be used to the shunt the trams around Lilyfield depot. https://www.facebook.com/SydneyLightRai ... %22O%22%7D
boronia

Post by boronia »

I was waiting for a bus in Allison Rd this morning about 11 am. In 5 minutes three trams went past. One came out of the depot and headed towards Moore Park, another followed from the main line a couple of minutes later, then an outbound set which was laid up in the Racecourse stop when my bus went past.
@ The Museum of Fire.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

STMPainter2018 wrote: Haven't you said to me before Matthew that Transdev has their own scrubber machine that they may use once the line is handed over to them? That would not be the machine you're talking about here right? But if all else fails, they could use our old Essanee rail grinder at Loftus! :lol:
They have a track cleaner, it's just a street vacuum sweeper with guide wheels. The current street track is 'cleaned' by the city council's vacuum sweeper when they request it.
I don't believe their machine has any 'rail conditioning' ability. I could be wrong and it has grinding heads, but that would fall into infrastructure contractor territory, not operations and also rail grinding isn't something they would need often unlike sweeping/vacuuming up the sand dropped by the trams.

The contractors have been zipping up and down George street with a Tennant S30 mini-street sweeper.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

STMPainter2018 wrote:In other news, Sydney Light Rail's Facebook page has been promoting this adorable little shunter that'll be used to the shunt the trams around Lilyfield depot. https://www.facebook.com/SydneyLightRai ... %22O%22%7D
The Mowog of the tram world.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It's just a tug, quite a common thing in depots.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

tonyp wrote:It's just a tug, quite a common thing in depots.
I know but it just looks SO. CUTE.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A tram has reached Circular Quay - under APS (TfNSW photos):

Swift

Post by Swift »

That really does smarten Sydney's image. Beats motor vehicle traffic any day. The gloomy weather adds to the effect. Great photos.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Was raining most of the night as well, so somewhat surprised they tested the APS first while wet
mubd

Post by mubd »

Probably better to know now if pedestrians are going to be electrocuted while the tram passes over than when it's in service...
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I caught a news item expressing concerns how the stupid dumb ignorant useless pedestrians will (not) behave' around the trams as they run though the shared zones in George Street.
I've been thinking this from the start.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”