WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by Off The Rails »

The next 3 Perth contracts, which are currently out for tender, are Marmion, Joondalup and Claremont, while the Geraldton Regional contract is also up for grabs. The Geraldton contract commences on the 1st of January 2020, while the 3 Perth ones are commencing on the 12th of January 2020 (from memory).

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Zidanehartono

A-Series Misc. Announcements

Post by Zidanehartono »

Does anyone know other announcements that the A-Series trains makes?

I know these ones:
1.When you hold the doors open:Please do not hold the doors open, failure to release them is an offence and can lead to refusal of travel.
2.When you bring your bike during peak times:Can't remember what it said.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

They also make: (Noticeably on the Armadale C pattern, on the express section between Claisebrook and Oats St) "Please refrain from consuming food and drink on the train."
(As it approaches Perth Stn) "This is Perth, please mind the gap."
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Bus Suggestions wrote:They also make: (Noticeably on the Armadale C pattern, on the express section between Claisebrook and Oats St) "Please refrain from consuming food and drink on the train."
Yeah besides that but i'm referring to seldomly used announcements or automated announcements that starts with a ding-dong-ding like driver spoken announcements.
Off The Rails

Post by Off The Rails »

On approach to Sherwood towards Armadale, they have "Please mind the gap between the train and the platform, as the platform level may vary" (or something close to that).

busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

Bus Suggestions wrote:They also make: (Noticeably on the Armadale C pattern, on the express section between Claisebrook and Oats St) "Please refrain from consuming food and drink on the train."
You also hear this one as it goes over the Roe Hwy flyover. However, it's not heard on the all stops version (aka Football service)
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Does anyone know why do we need a bus stop supervisor at ALMOST every stop of Stadium Special 661 in the CBD? Why don't they just appear at dedicated stops on St Georges Terrace and near the Causeway?
the c man

Post by the c man »

Off The Rails wrote:The next 3 Perth contracts, which are currently out for tender, are Marmion, Joondalup and Claremont, while the Geraldton Regional contract is also up for grabs. The Geraldton contract commences on the 1st of January 2020, while the 3 Perth ones are commencing on the 12th of January 2020 (from memory).

Has there been announcement regarding the contracts?
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

Be interesting to see what comes out of it. I know First Group are trying to get their foot in the door in Australia. And Ventura Buslines here in Melbourne have for the first time attempted to branch out and tendered for Adelaide contracts. Unsure if they tendered for Perth. Transit Systems have proven themselves since there start in Perth in 1996. In turn they have proven themselves as a leader in the industry and their rapid global expansion in only 23 years is impressive to say the least.

Is there anyone who has knowledge of who actually tendered that can give some insight?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Off The Rails

Post by Off The Rails »

The Geraldton contract closed for tender on the 21st of May, and awarded 30th of August (no delays expected) to commence 1st Jan 2020. The 3 Perth ones close on the 11th of July, and are to be awarded on the 4th of November. The Perth contracts however have been amended to start a week later on the 19th of January, 2020.

TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/century- ... 881245531z

Work to replace the 109 Hamilton street bridge in Subiaco has been a success and is expected to reopen to cars in September, main roads and PTA will remove the remaining 2 ageing wooden bridges on the Fremantle line at Congdon street in Swanbourne and Eric street in Cottesloe over the next couple of years subject to availability of funding, the Congdon street bridge replacement is in the planning stage and will allow for 6car trains to stop at Swanbourne station it’s unclear if platform lengthening will be included in the project scope which can be viewed at the below linkImage
https://project.mrwa.wa.gov.au/home/Pages/congdon.aspx

https://www.communitynews.com.au/wester ... remont-nod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
os91

Post by os91 »

Hi
Does anyone have any details regarding the buses that replaced the Fremantle Line from 1979-83? I.e. route, frequency, numbers, fleet etc.
Cheers
Off The Rails

Post by Off The Rails »

os91 wrote:Hi
Does anyone have any details regarding the buses that replaced the Fremantle Line from 1979-83? I.e. route, frequency, numbers, fleet etc.
Cheers
http://perthbus.info/prequery.php?qqid= ... ccid=430.0
The link will take you to a page which has each fleet number primarily used, and the pics should have the route number in it. Frequency wise though, I don't know where you could find that.

Bus Suggestions

os91 wrote:Hi
Cheers
I asked for the route and numbers earlier in this thread, and this is the (rather useful and nice) reply I got: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 5#p1031520
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

This seems like a reasonable place to drop this little article:
ABC Article in Relation to Congestion-Busting Projects
Bus Suggestions

The construction of Mt Claremont bus depot has been completed:
Media Statments WA wrote: Mt Claremont bus depot opens today
Sunday, 21 July 2019

- $5.74 million project to build bus depot in Mt Claremont now complete
- Operational from today, the depot has space for up to 55 buses
- New facility is part of future-proofing push for Transperth bus facilities
- A locally designed and built new bus depot at Mt Claremont has gone into service today.

The $5.74 million facility includes a four-bay workshop, administration building, refuelling facilities, bus wash facilities and hardstand parking areas for up to 55 buses.

The new facility, located on a 1.2ha site west of Brockway Road, was designed and built by WA company Pindan Constructions.

The new depot will help future-proof Transperth's bus operations, as part of a push by the Public Transport Authority to ensure as many bus depots as possible are owned by the State.

Previously, Transperth buses servicing Claremont and surrounds operated out of a Fremantle facility on a month-by-month lease.

Investing in land and construction of depot facilities eliminates the risk of strategic inner-suburbs locations being purchased for other developments, removes expenditure on rent, reduces costly 'dead running' (operating without passengers) of buses, and ensures bus contract operators can compete for tenders on an even playing field - regardless of whether they own a local depot facility.

The facility will also have the capacity to house additional articulated buses to support the highly-successful Route 950.

The new depot will be open daily, with most bus movements occurring from 6am to 8am and again from 6pm to 8pm.

Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:

"This facility will ensure passengers in the inner suburbs receive the best and timeliest services at the lowest cost.
"The cost to the state - and therefore WA taxpayers - of rent, dead-running and less-competitive operational contracts is significant, and I commend the Public Transport Authority for their strategic vision in acquiring this facility, which was also designed and built by a local company.
"The PTA also has several other facilities planned for construction in the next year."
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

Hi all.
Been a while since I've posted. I'm curious about the new Mt Claremont depot on Brockway Road located 2 minutes away from Shenton Park depot in Lennox Street. Is Shenton Park still in operation as I keep hearing about Cambridge depot lately wherever that is.

Basically I'm a little confused about the changes.

You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Leyland B21 wrote:Hi all.
Been a while since I've posted. I'm curious about the new Mt Claremont depot on Brockway Road located 2 minutes away from Shenton Park depot in Lennox Street. Is Shenton Park still in operation as I keep hearing about Cambridge depot lately wherever that is.

Basically I'm a little confused about the changes.

'Cambridge' is just another name for Shenton Park, used by some people who like to confuse those of us who aren't living in 1998. They're the same place.

Shenton Park Depot is unchanged, what has changed is that North Fremantle Depot has closed, Mount Claremont has opened.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Quite a good piece:
https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 52a0o.html

Cars make for a costly (and infuriating) commute in Perth: why not take a train or bus? July 23, 2019.
Commutes. I’ve had a few.
From travelling the red dirt-lined roads of Karratha, to winding through the tuarts on my way to the office in Busselton, I’ve done my fair share of driving.
So, it was with some trepidation that I set out to tackle my morning trip to work relying solely on public transport when I joined the team at WAtoday.
Catching the train to work is much more relaxing than getting stuck in the mire of bumper-to-bumper traffic.Credit:WAtoday
I had little choice, having moved into an apartment in North Fremantle and needing to travel to our East Perth newsroom.
Avoiding peak-hour road rage aside, our apartment only has one car bay, so I happily stored my lumbering rustbucket at my parents’ house, leaving my girlfriend and I to rely solely on her hatchback for the most part.
While my attempt to cut back on my car use may not match my colleague Emma Young’s Herculean effort, the upside to taking the train (and bus) was thrown into sharp focus today with the release of figures from the RAC showing the average weekly cost to own a car in WA has jumped.
Seeing as I still have and use a car it’s not like I’m saving bucketloads, but not refuelling as often – let alone paying for parking when I get into the city – has definitely meant that morning coffee en route from the traino is a bit more economically justifiable.
A disclaimer; I live within cooee (or at least a 10-minute walk) of the North Freo train station. No doubt sticking to public transport will be more difficult when I move further away from the train line, but more on that in a bit.
Financial motive aside, there’s a lot to be gained from going public.
For starters: no traffic. When I’m not daydreaming looking out the window as the ocean winds by, I’ve looked the other way at cars banked up along Stirling Highway, jimmying their way along an already nightmarishly busy stretch of road.
This point was compounded on one of the rare days I did drive into work and found myself running late, despite leaving as early as I would to catch the train, thanks to the clog of (largely single-occupant) cars on our roads.
Yes, I know, it’s peak hour, that’s what you should (and I did) expect. But to get through that and realise I could have arrived earlier (and with a coffee in hand) using public transport? Needless to say I wasn’t impressed.
But there’s more to crow about. If you’re not content staring off into space on the bus or train, it makes for a good time to have a read, or listen to music, or both.
Admittedly, a lot of the time I – and many other passengers – drop my head to stare and scroll like the phone-addicted zombie I am.
However, I’ve still managed to polish off a decent number of books on my commute, and it frees up time to catch up on the day’s news, or fire off a few emails or calls.
And when Friday rolls around and a few post-work beverages are in order, it’s nice to know I can take part without having to worry about getting a car home the next day – driving after a few drinks should never be an option.
On that last note, my newfound love for public transport doesn’t extend to the work commute alone. Has anyone caught the bus or train to Optus Stadium?
I took a relative visiting from the UK to a Big Bash League match in December and he couldn’t believe the efficiency of the system ferrying punters to and from the grounds. I had to agree.
There’s nothing better than getting to the football – or cricket, soccer, a music concert, or even the rugby – and being able to get back to the Perth CBD to carry on the night or get home with ease, without running the risk of getting pulled over by the police and having your license canned, or worse.
Alas, I concede things get a bit more difficult the further you move from the train line.
Perth’s fringe suburbs still rely heavily on cars and many are crying out for public transport infrastructure; but is this a case of chickens and eggs?
The state government’s Metronet program aims to address shortfalls in our suburbs, but the Public Transport Authority noted in its 2017-18 annual report there was a “subdued” number of boardings compared to previous years.
While the statistics can partly be attributed to a decline in population growth and higher rates of unemployment – especially with fewer CBD-based jobs – the PTA noted improvements to Perth roads and low fuel prices “make driving a more attractive option”.
But does it have to be?
Would a more expansive public transport network convince you to ditch the car for your commute?
Those arguing the trains and buses rarely run on time should note figures from the PTA’s annual report; 95 per cent of trains arrived within four minutes of schedule, as did 85 per cent of buses.
Things are looking up after Perth was given the unenviable title as host of one of the worst public transport networks globally in 2017.
Nothing’s perfect, including my punctuality, and there have definitely been a few sprints through the CBD to make my train or face a half-hour wait for the next.
And I know there are plenty who live and work away from the city, and who would have to drastically alter their timetable to make public transport work.
But to those regularly stuck bumper-to-bumper on the Mitchell Freeway, or who jostle every day to be first in the hostile circle of Hell that encompasses Perth’s merging lanes, would it not be easier to just be chauffeured to work in a train or bus and take your car off the road for the day?
Public transport isn’t a dirty term in other parts of the world – how are we going to justify infrastructure investment to make our system great again if no one takes the plunge and ditches the drive?
Have a think about it next time you’re stuck crawling along Stirling Highway at 8.30am on a Monday and you see the train whizz by.
You might even spot me, sitting back, relaxed, reading, thinking about my morning coffee.
That terrible Global Sustainability Index rating for Perth's public transport probably has more to do with effectiveness. There's no way that it's worse than other Australian cities, but even though the modernisation has encouraged many more people to use PT than a few decades ago, it's still a small minority of journeys in this car-crazed city.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:That terrible Global Sustainability Index rating for Perth's public transport probably has more to do with effectiveness. There's no way that it's worse than other Australian cities, but even though the modernisation has encouraged many more people to use PT than a few decades ago, it's still a small minority of journeys in this car-crazed city.
Perth's journos will take almost any opportunity they can to rubbish public transport or even sneak a reference or two in about how "bad" it is. I'll concede it is far from perfect, but generally it isn't that much of a deal-breaker.

On another note: the writer for that article will be enjoying 10min, all-stops trains on the Fremantle line during the peaks, with the changes that came into effect this week.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote:Perth's journos will take almost any opportunity they can to rubbish public transport or even sneak a reference or two in about how "bad" it is. I'll concede it is far from perfect, but generally it isn't that much of a deal-breaker.

On another note: the writer for that article will be enjoying 10min, all-stops trains on the Fremantle line during the peaks, with the changes that came into effect this week.
One thing I've now noticed over time is that sandgropers can whinge endlessly and irrationally about their public transport. When you go onto an online discussion and tell them they have the best PT system in Australia they're inredulous. I guess most don't spend much time, if at all, over in the east! If I ever lived in Perth I don't think I'd bother owning a car. I couldn't stand the terrible traffic, the base-level driving skills and the poor traffic management. The first time driving there was enough for me - public transport ever since!
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

I noticed that TP3001's steering wheel changed which makes it look like a new bus. When did that happen?
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

Zidanehartono wrote:I noticed that TP3001's steering wheel changed which makes it look like a new bus. When did that happen?
It got it a few months ago iirc
Bus Suggestions

More relating to bus bodies than WA specifically, but is there any substantial difference between the same style bodies built for the same bus back in the green-and-white/MTT era that would allow them to be easily identified? e.g. JW Bolton vs Howard Porter Renault PR100.2 bodies. I do know a large difference between the Volgren kit batch and other builders being that they have a different rear end, but between any other builders?
Bus Suggestions

The PTA have reached an agreement to fix all the broken escalators along the Joondalup Line plus extra maintenance on other stations:
PTA Projects/E-Mail wrote:Joondalup Line escalator update

A number of escalators along the Joondalup Line are out of service due to ongoing mechanical and maintenance issues. We have come to an agreement with the manufacturer to preform essential maintenance and repair works to rectify these ongoing issues.

These works will prioritise the currently unavailable escalators at Whitfords, Warwick and Stirling stations. These escalators have been unavailable for a significant amount of time due to the need to replace a critical part, which is now possible.

The escalator at Whitfords Station is currently undergoing works which are expected to be complete mid-November.

This will be followed by works at Warwick Station and Stirling Station. Works on each escalator is expected to take approximately two months to complete.

Once all escalators are operational we will be undertaking additional maintenance on escalators at the following stations:

Glendalough
Joondalup
Whitfords
Warwick
Stirling
Perth Station - Platform 5
Each station will have one escalator unavailable at a time, with these works expected to take approximately two months per escalator to complete. At each station there are stairs and at least one lift available as alternatives.

These works are expected to be complete mid-2021.

We appreciate your patience and apologise for the inconvenience.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”