Skybus Hobart.

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
superbossgc

Skybus Hobart.

Post by superbossgc »

announced yesterday news, another new service in Hobart from airport to Hobart city due to start in July.

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/54785 ... o-airport/
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Skybus Hobart.

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Initially, Skybus (whom bought the contract from Tasmania' own Redline) were to commence operations in 2 July. It has been postponed until Aug.1

As someone who "cut their teeth" on the Airporter service over 30yrs ago, it's sad to see a long-time family operator ceasing the service (36yrs Redline had the run) Tasmanian Redline Coaches commenced Airporter operation back in 1982 after the airlines stopped operating their own buses. They have seen the highs and lows of the airline industry, and weathered the storm each time. TRC instigated introduction of direct Singapore flights back in the 90s and were always there when the Launceston airport was fog bound, transporting passengers from Hobart to Launceston, sometime late at night. Redline serviced all flights and serviced about 95% of the hotels for drop-offs. It will be interesting to see, how Skybus compares to this, with reportedly, only 4 drops in the city :shock:

Below is a photo of the first bus I drove which was my dedicated Airporter bus back in 1985, which featured a large rear walk-in boot, excellent for ease of access when unloading in the city. 1975 YMT Bedford / Ansair Styleliner
61.jpg
61.jpg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 18912 times
crayner

Post by crayner »

Yeah the hotel drop off service will be ending now that Redline has lost the service. Tourists will be dropped off in the city at one of four stops.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

To our Hobart friends.
Has the Skybus Hobart services retained the patronage that Redline had ,considering the high standard of service provided and the hotel pick up/drop off service that covered nearly all of the city hotels??
I thought Skybus serving only 4 city pick up/drop offs was a backwards step,making it much more difficult for pax to use the service.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

burrumbus wrote:To our Hobart friends.
Has the Skybus Hobart services retained the patronage that Redline had ,considering the high standard of service provided and the hotel pick up/drop off service that covered nearly all of the city hotels??
I thought Skybus serving only 4 city pick up/drop offs was a backwards step,making it much more difficult for pax to use the service.
From what I've heard (and it's who you talk to) NO :( They have introduced quite a few newer buses though in recent months (mainly CB80s)
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Neil.
I suspected that may have been the case.

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”