Towbar fabrication for Volvo B6FA

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
BigBus4Us

Towbar fabrication for Volvo B6FA

Post by BigBus4Us »

Hi All,
Does anyone know any information about GCM weight capacity for a Volvo B6FA? I have a 1984 Custom coach Volvo that has recently been fitted out as a motorhome. I want to get a towbar fabricated, but the fabrication shop were unable to proceed as they said they needed the GCM (Gross Combination Mass) value which was not printed on the original compliance plates. The issue the fabricator had was the cut chassis behind the rear wheel to a sub chassis to accommodate the boot, and whether this has a load bearing capacity, also the capacity of the engine/gearbox to handle a load. I have tried multiple times to get an answer from Volvo but seem to get the run around from one person to another with no answers. Has anyone been down this road before and have some helpful advice please.
Regards,
Damien
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Towbar fabrication for Volvo B6FA

Post by boronia »

I believe that the B6FA had a GVM around 12 tonne; presumably a bus chassis would not normally need a GCM rating.

You might need a qualified auto engineer to come up with design to meet your circumstances.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
BigBus4Us

Post by BigBus4Us »

Thank you
I found an engineer to give me the design and certification. Only problem is that he wants to extend the chassis through the boot to come down to the subchassis. If I didn't have a water tank and washing machine in the way I might have done the work.
mobilehumpinghut

Post by mobilehumpinghut »

I've just been to a very reputable towbar and exhaust dealers in Mandurah and any towbar built for a vehicle pre 1987 does not need to be certified
By George

Post by By George »

Just wanted to know how you went getting a towbar as I am wanting to fit one to my b6fa also.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”