New bus depot at Mile End

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

New bus depot at Mile End

Post by jibb »

DPTI has called tenders for 2 new permanent transportable buildings to be transported and installed at the DPTI site at Railway Terrace Mile End which will undergo preparation works for it to be a depot for buses to layover whilst drivers have a meal break etc.
It will have 9 tracks,and the installation of these 2 buildings will commence late August. 1 building will be for female and male toilets,the other will be a lunch room.
I guess this will probably see the end of Clarendon Street terminal, Currie Street Bus Depot and probably Southlinks Franklin Street depot.
This plan was talked about late last year and included plans for O-Bahn buses that currently use Clarendon Street to then use the new depot at Railway Terrace.
Tim Williams

Re: New bus depot at Mile End

Post by Tim Williams »

I wonder if the dead running between the city and Mile End has been costed in, particularly for the large number of O'Bahn buses!!
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

As dead running is the responsibility of the service providers I doubt they will get anything for it, however with the contracts being up for tender in a year I'm sure it would be factored into the new tenders. Depending on how long it takes for the facility to be built; the status quo may remain until the new contracts commence operation.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Having done contract exercises (albeit on a much smaller scale) for TfNSW, I can assure you that the cost of dead running can be quite substantial. I think I recall reading that, in the change over from Sydney Buses to the private contractor in Region 6, Sydney, an amazingly expensive practice, amongst will be eliminated - that is that drivers return (dead running) to their home depot, from where ever they are, to take their breaks - that and current restrictive practices must cost a small fortune.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Just wondering why the new Mile End facility is being built at all. The existing arrangements seem to work quite well. Franklin St set to become the site of yet another tower block maybe?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote:Just wondering why the new Mile End facility is being built at all. The existing arrangements seem to work quite well. Franklin St set to become the site of yet another tower block maybe?
Plus both Clarendon Street(University of SA) and Currie Street are eventually going to be Hi -Rise Buildings.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

And Franklin Street as well is to have multi storey building going up on it.
Volvo B12B Driver
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLE

Post by Volvo B12B Driver »

where on railway tce is this going to be located?
jibb

Post by jibb »

On the eastern side of Railway Terrace just before Bunnings-currently a dirt vacant area with nothing happening yet.
ScaniaK320
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N. 18.280

Post by ScaniaK320 »

That is the new replacement for Currie Street Meal Break and Clarendon Street, as UNISA own the land and they want to expand.
All tickets and Passes please
jibb

Post by jibb »

ScaniaK320 wrote:That is the new replacement for Currie Street Meal Break and Clarendon Street, as UNISA own the land and they want to expand.
They are very slow at preparing the site.It was originally planned to open in the middle of last year.
It is going to require more O-Bahn buses, as its a 7-8 minute NIS journey(each way) from Currie Street to this location. I was told that Southlink would use it as a daytime layover area.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

If it’s the site I think it is (opposite Anaconda, south of Bunnings, on Railway Tce) there’s a lot of earthworks going on at the moment in a large area recently surrounded with security fencing.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Tim Williams wrote:I think I recall reading that, in the change over from Sydney Buses to the private contractor in Region 6, Sydney, an amazingly expensive practice, amongst will be eliminated - that is that drivers return (dead running) to their home depot, from where ever they are, to take their breaks - that and current restrictive practices must cost a small fortune.
Rail substitution services for the then Noarlinga line rebuild back in 2012/2013 had drivers running from the CBD up to Pooraka for meal breaks which added around 30 mins to each half of a shift. The Hungry Jacks at Gepps Cross did quite well out of us.
jibb

Post by jibb »

This site on Railway Terrace with tracks marked and numbered is now ready-we wait and see when it opens and how it is used?
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

jibb wrote:This site on Railway Terrace with tracks marked and numbered is now ready-we wait and see when it opens and how it is used?
Will this be up and running next week after school holidays?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Former driver37 wrote:
jibb wrote:This site on Railway Terrace with tracks marked and numbered is now ready-we wait and see when it opens and how it is used?
Will this be up and running next week after school holidays?
Nothing has been said or announced as yet-we will just have to wait and see I guess.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

I've heard an August move is likely as that's when the current arrangement at Franklin St ends.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote:I've heard an August move is likely as that's when the current arrangement at Franklin St ends.
There also supposed to be a date when Torrens Transit have to move out of Clarendon Street layover area and Currie Street Depot,so may be it will all happen at the same time.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Rumour now has it that it will be operational as from Monday 24th. Anyone else heard similar?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote:Rumour now has it that it will be operational as from Monday 24th. Anyone else heard similar?
I will take a guess and say that the majority will be Southlink buses from the South, North and Hills laying over between peaks on weekdays.
Possibly some O-Bahn buses as well.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Just heard that Skexis rumour is correct.
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

Can confirm this is up and running as of today with Southlink hills and lonsdale depot artics parked there
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

I believe SL use is currently only those that would have been left at Mile end during the day. Franklin St remains operational, for the near future anyway. Anyone know if Rosslyn St is closing up as well ?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote:I believe SL use is currently only those that would have been left at Mile end during the day. Franklin St remains operational, for the near future anyway. Anyone know if Rosslyn St is closing up as well ?
Both Clarendon Street and the Currie Street Bus Depot are due to close later in the year, requiring many O-Bahn buses to run NIS to/from Railway Terrace which will require additional buses. which is why TT is receiving 4 additional O-Bahn Scania Artics.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Monday 24th it is.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”