moa999

Re: NSW On Demand Buses

Post by moa999 »

So less on demand, but more a reserved route service
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Qantas94Heavy wrote:
swtt wrote:Or would it be possible to deviate off route a little to do pick-ups?

Cos otherwise as Fleet Lists says, it's just another bus service but less frequent and smaller buses too.
I had a play around with the Bridj app. For the Rhodes services area, it seems that the app will only show pick up/drop off points along the following route:

I'd presume that they wouldn't need to do the loops if nobody is scheduled to get off/on there, but apart from that the route seems pretty fixed to me. I don't know if the drivers will drop you off elsewhere if you ask though.
it does all loops like a bus would
it cannot deviate away from the set route for pick up and set down
there are also set stops, but they are unpublished.

Hence why you have to walk to and from the route and set locations
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Sounds like they are introducing new routes by stealth and skirting the normal processes. Not necessarily a bad thing, just saying.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Virtually a more expensive and slightly more frequent version of the 460, but extended into the previous 462's operating area.

The span of service is also substantially longer. Hope they do build a good patronage.
Xplorer wrote:
Qantas94Heavy wrote: I had a play around with the Bridj app. For the Rhodes services area, it seems that the app will only show pick up/drop off points along the following route:

I'd presume that they wouldn't need to do the loops if nobody is scheduled to get off/on there, but apart from that the route seems pretty fixed to me. I don't know if the drivers will drop you off elsewhere if you ask though.
it does all loops like a bus would
it cannot deviate away from the set route for pick up and set down
there are also set stops, but they are unpublished.

Hence why you have to walk to and from the route and set locations
Sent from my Huawei Mate 20 Pro using Tapatalk
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Apparently, one driver typically gets about 20 passengers a day, which is not very efficient.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Which is probably what the 460 was getting in patronage.,on multiple full size buses across different shifts for the day-which is not very efficient either.If done well with personalised service you can build patronage beyond what conventional route buses can achieve.
grog

Post by grog »

Yeah I’d see it more like a regular bus route with a flexible timetable that can respond to demand. In reality, the timetable is currently static, but if patronage builds the trip departure times can be easily adjusted without the usual timetable change process. This is probably the assumed benefit of this kind of thing, and makes sense if you look at the areas that the future on demand services can run from the R6 contract.

I’d imagine a time in the future where the 400m service obligation becomes an 800m service obligation for regular route service, allowing more frequent service, and ‘on demand’ routes filling in the gaps.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Not that it seems to be at these levels at present either, but I assume the service is effectively 'seat reserved'
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

The key to the on demand services is in the marketing of the services,which frankly from TFNSW'S ,nor most of the contracted operators has not been great thus far.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

moa999 wrote:Not that it seems to be at these levels at present either, but I assume the service is effectively 'seat reserved'
I haven’t tested this out, but legally speaking, the Poncho does allow standees, unlike many other ones
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Punchbowl’s Poncho has now been transferred to Transit Systems.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

Transdev Link is changing from tomorrow:

- One big zone instead of the four current zones, also expanded to include Kareela, Oyster Bay and Kirrawee.
- Weekday hours extended to 0600-2000 but reduced on weekends to 1000-1600
- Fares still $2.60 but only up to 3km, then $4.30 for longer journeys.
jake_s_258

Post by jake_s_258 »

thunderbird wrote:Transdev Link is changing from tomorrow:

- One big zone instead of the four current zones, also expanded to include Kareela, Oyster Bay and Kirrawee.
- Weekday hours extended to 0600-2000 but reduced on weekends to 1000-1600
- Fares still $2.60 but only up to 3km, then $4.30 for longer journeys.
An improvement to merge the little zones I think, with Transdev Link also highlighting the service as 'point to hub' rather than 'point to point'. Interestingly, Taren Point is now also included in the zone, where it was previously excluded (presumably because of Transit Systems 477/8), but I have seen Transdev Link run to and from the retirement village in Taren Point bound for Southgate shops in Sylvania routinely anyway.
From the week of 14 January, there will be changes to zoning, fares and hours of service.

BETTER COVERAGE
After receiving feedback from our community, we will be extending our coverage area with the current 4 zones combining into 1 zone.
Our routes will evolve from point to point, to point to hub.
Hubs are popular pick up and drop off points of interest including train stations, hospitals and major schools (see reverse).

DISTANCE BASED FARES
Fare pricing will be calculated based only off the distance you travel as opposed to a single trip cost.
Trips up to 3km will remain at $2.60 and $1.30 for concessions and trips over 3km will be $4.30 and $2.15 for concessions.

EXTENDED HOURS
To allow more people to use our service we have extended our operating hours during the week.
Our new hours from 14th January 2019 onwards will be:
6am-8pm Mon-Fri
10am-4pm Weekend

We thank you for your patience during this period of transition.
Saw a sign attached to the Transit Systems school bus stop near Caringbah station noting it as a 'meeting point' with several hubs listed on the new Transdev Link map.
Cbah
Cbah
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

For those who haven't kept up with the news around the state, on demand isn't just in Sydney, there are two other ones running around the state: Moree town, and Sapphire Coast Buslines.
A full list can be found here
https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... -transport
Stu

Post by Stu »

The original press release talks about extra trains during wet weather and special events, last year Sydney Trains could not even operate the base weekday timetable for many months due to staff shortage and the network is so vulnerable that it crumbles under both minor and major events across the network.
https://www.nsw.gov.au/news-and-events/ ... ort-trial/

I think that TfNSW will start small and soon direct on demand buses to assist with special events.

Regarding the changes in the Taren Point area, I wonder if there will be long ten effects to the route 478?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Saw an "on command" parked on Blackwall Rd Woy Woy the other day. Who runs theirs, Busways?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Interesting that Busways are Doing Northern Rivers,maybe the other operators didn'twant it
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Swift wrote:Saw an "on command" parked on Blackwall Rd Woy Woy the other day. Who runs theirs, Busways?
see https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... -transport so easy to find.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

LB608 wrote:Interesting that Busways are Doing Northern Rivers,maybe the other operators didn'twant it
According to this it is the Buslines Group and not Busways. https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... nd-service
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Northern Rivers area: https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... nd-service

It says it doesn't run on Sundays & Public Holidays

Wouldn't it be logical to offer the on-demand services when timetabled buses don't operate?

Same with Keilos Downer's Newcastle On-Demand buses, shouldn't they be operating mainly outside of normal timetabled route hours?

Oh wait, I shouldn't use logical & NSW transport in the same sentence! :lol:
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Swift wrote:Saw an "on command" parked on Blackwall Rd Woy Woy the other day. Who runs theirs, Busways?
Central Coast Community Transport.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

LB608 wrote:Interesting that Busways are Doing Northern Rivers,maybe the other operators didn'twant it
Buslines Group have the contract there.It is not a matter of who did not want it.
TFNSW called an expression of interest during 2/18 asking for operators to submit ideas for on demand services.Services were approved during 8/18 and away everybody goes developing their services,according to what they thought would work in their proposals.TFNSW are after different ideas and methods to see exactly what works in different areas and contexts.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Not sure if this technically belongs here, but BRIDJ is offering to HSBC Sydney 7s fans a pop-up service connecting Sydney's North Shore and Northern Beaches to Spotless Stadium on Feb 2-3 2019 (Sat & Sun).

See:
https://www.bridj.com/
LongliveSTA

Post by LongliveSTA »

Glen wrote:Not sure if this technically belongs here, but BRIDJ is offering to HSBC Sydney 7s fans a pop-up service connecting Sydney's North Shore and Northern Beaches to Spotless Stadium on Feb 2-3 2019 (Sat & Sun).

See:
https://www.bridj.com/
What's interesting is they are running it to a full, published timetable!!!

I also wonder if this pop up service is taxpayer subsidised...!
LONG LIVE STA, the best bus operator in AUSTRALIA!!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It will be interesting to see if the nor,alOlympic Park routes will be operating that weekend.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”