Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
rogf24

Re: NSW Future Rail Plan - NWRL/Metro/Harbour Crossing

Post by rogf24 »

Another Brit, no wonder TfNSW and subsidiaries are bereft of ideas.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

Yet from what I read in "The Guardian" online, public transport in Manchester, and the north of England generally, has become a complete shambles, it's getting worse and no improvement in sight.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

That might have to do with the new train timetable introduced earlier this year? Thousands of new services each week but it all came tumbling down, from the looks of it much, much worse than Sydney experienced in January.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

rogf24 wrote:Another Brit, no wonder TfNSW and subsidiaries are bereft of ideas.
Obviously attempting to expunge any last vestiges of management of the legacy rail network from the transport bureaucracy. Local knowledge seems to be a low priority nowadays. I'd be happier if it was someone with European experience, rather than just another pom. There are too many already.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

This new appointment seems to have overshadowed the departure of Tony Braxton-Smith, director of whatever at TfNSW, to South Australia. He came and went with an impressive CV, but I'm personally very disattisfied with his record at TfNSW.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

lunchbox wrote:This new appointment seems to have overshadowed the departure of Tony Braxton-Smith, director of whatever at TfNSW, to South Australia. He came and went with an impressive CV, but I'm personally very disattisfied with his record at TfNSW.
Care to elaborate?
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

I won't elaborate because I am not privy to the internal workings of Transport for NSW. I remain convinced that many of the policies and decisions out of TfNSW have not been in the interests of the travelling public. I CAN confirm that each of them which has concerned me has been discussed in this forum.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

The thing is, not everything you complain about concerns everyone, not even the majority of the travelling public or the majority along the road/route. I'm sure there are many things he could have done better but your complaints ≠ travelling public.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

Work commenced at Chatswood station for conversion to metro

Platform 3 already boarded off (approx 2/3 of platform width remaining for platform 4 passengers) on the western island.

Platform 2 signs and electronic destination screens removed on platform 2 on the esastern island.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Wouldve thought you'd use the same screens, just connected to a new system.

Assume they'll get the Chatswood PSDs up quickly - give back the platform space.. and show progress.

Be more interested to see how much work needs to go into track height adjustment.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Is that the sort of thing where they need a mass concrete trackbed, or would they stay with stone ballast?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Some preliminary work for the PSDs has been visible on Chatswood 2 and 3 for a while.

The platform tracks are on mass concrete bases.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
grog

Post by grog »

moa999 wrote:Wouldve thought you'd use the same screens, just connected to a new system.

Assume they'll get the Chatswood PSDs up quickly - give back the platform space.. and show progress.

Be more interested to see how much work needs to go into track height adjustment.
My understanding is that none should be needed.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

I wonder how frequent weekend trackwork will be on the north shore line because of the metro construction
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

GazzaOak wrote:I wonder how frequent weekend trackwork will be on the north shore line because of the metro construction
I'm pretty sure there is page somewhere on transportnsw.info or TfNSW website showing scope of trackwork in the next 6 months in there will be your answer.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

grog wrote:
moa999 wrote:Wouldve thought you'd use the same screens, just connected to a new system.

My understanding is that none should be needed.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the major alterations to the existing platforms on the ECRL stations will be widening to reduce the gap with the narrower profile metro trains and installation of PSDs.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Transtopic wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the major alterations to the existing platforms on the ECRL stations will be widening to reduce the gap with the narrower profile metro trains and installation of PSDs.
Reducing that gap can be done easily with platform gap fillers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_gap_filler
grog

Post by grog »

The trains aren’t actually much narrower, about 10cm total and 5cm per side, and that will be easily taken care of with PSD installation. My understanding is they run on the same guage at the same platform height and same overhead voltage - upgrades for ECRL is primarily PSDs, ripping out the old signals and testing the new signal system, as well as separating the track and power supply at the interfaces.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Frosty wrote:
GazzaOak wrote:I wonder how frequent weekend trackwork will be on the north shore line because of the metro construction
I'm pretty sure there is page somewhere on transportnsw.info or TfNSW website showing scope of trackwork in the next 6 months in there will be your answer.
https://transportnsw.info/future-trackwork-calendar
I can only see the trackwork schedule up to early Dec.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

grog wrote:The trains aren’t actually much narrower, about 10cm total and 5cm per side, and that will be easily taken care of with PSD installation. My understanding is they run on the same guage at the same platform height and same overhead voltage - upgrades for ECRL is primarily PSDs, ripping out the old signals and testing the new signal system, as well as separating the track and power supply at the interfaces.
It's a shame they didn't bother with making the line 25 kV AC.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

There is also adjustments to the track height to ensure level boarding at stations, modification to emergency walkways and the like.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

stupid_girl wrote:
Frosty wrote: I'm pretty sure there is page somewhere on transportnsw.info or TfNSW website showing scope of trackwork in the next 6 months in there will be your answer.
https://transportnsw.info/future-trackwork-calendar
I can only see the trackwork schedule up to early Dec.
That document used to show 6 months in advance, now it's only the next 2 months!

TfNSW continue their assault on customers information.
grog

Post by grog »

Daniel wrote:There is also adjustments to the track height to ensure level boarding at stations, modification to emergency walkways and the like.
Do you have a source for this? My understanding is that this is not correct. There is no major civil work required such as changing track height. The platforms of the ECRL and Chatswood are 9 years old and should all be at an appropriate height for level boarding.

When they move on to the Bankstown line conversion, they are going to re-level the *platforms*, not the track, to allow level boarding, but this shouldn’t be required for the ECRL/Chatswood.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

Another thing as well, the government said its should take 7 months to convert the ECRL, but however the government also said to us that the bankstown line will take the same amount of the time to convert....

But since the ECRL is only fairly new and have 3 stations, shouldn't its take less time to convert than the bankstown line (since bankstown line is bloody complex with platform straitening, upgrading all station to have lifts/ticket barriers and whatever)
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
grog

Post by grog »

There is no longer any platform straightening for the Bankstown line, it was removed from the scope to simplify the project and reduce the shutdown required. Instead there will be platform height adjustments during targeted station shutdowns (one at a time with the line remaining open) and mechanical gap fillers where required.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”