NSW On Demand Buses

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
mandonov

Re: NSW On Demand Buses

Post by mandonov »

Also it’s not as if the west can’t have a successful service, proven by the take up of the Edmondson Park service. There’s a whole host of things that determine whether it will be a success or failure.
Stu

Post by Stu »

The former Bridj service in the Weatherill Park industrial area should have been extended to Wetherill Park shopping centre and TAFE. Patronage may have increased with a few more options regarding local destinations.
mubd

Post by mubd »

The UberPool service is excellent, though I suspect that it's losing money hand over fist.

It cost me about $7 to get a lift to Eveleigh from Matraville in half the time of the bus trip. If I wanted to get one to Kingsford it'd only be $3.50 or something. In the 6 or 7 trips I've taken with UberPool, I've been the only passenger in about 50% of them.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

mubd wrote:
It cost me about $7 to get a lift to Eveleigh from Matraville in half the time of the bus trip. If I wanted to get one to Kingsford it'd only be $3.50 or something. In the 6 or 7 trips I've taken with UberPool, I've been the only passenger in about 50% of them.
I hope you feel good getting all that while your driver gets a pittance. Do you posess a conscience? This makes me angry and most Uber passengers behave like sociopaths.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
OTR all day

Post by OTR all day »

It should be up to the driver to decide what is acceptable and what is not. Some drivers don't accept uber pool.

Pool as a concept is great. As usual, uber buggers it up with their agenda to cut drivers' pay and increase commission.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Drivers, who are independent contractors remember, get effectively penalised like an employee (but without the benefits of one) in the U.S by four minute suspensions when they knock back so many pool jobs. How long until they try it on our shores if they don't do it already?
This treatment is why unions were formed. This is a company with Dickensian beliefs. I'm disgusted that the NSW government so readily caved in and so willingly threw away a strict system of limits for the number of cars for hire on our roads. Where's Reg Kermode when we need him?
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

I've been getting a lot of online propaganda about new on-demand services around Mona Vale and Macquarie Park, both services areas I might potentially use at some time.

Credit card payment is required, which probably rules out my fourteen year old daughter. They also seem very vague about where you can and can't get pickup up or dropped off.

They also have a survey, which they wanted to know the origin and destination of the trip. When I provided that information, they cancelled the survey with the spurious claim that neither the origin nor the destination were in the service area, which one of the them clearly was. This service is claimed to be a feeder service to the Bline but if you say you want to go from Bayview to Sydney then it rejects your survey contribution because it is not in the service area, which is clearly is, on the map. Its not very convincing.
Stu

Post by Stu »

In recent weeks, some or all of the Transit Systems Region 3 on demand units (IVECO) have been transferred to Region 6 and operating in service.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Then what is working the region 3 services or have they ceased?

Ok my bad - didn't read back far enough up the thread!
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Got this email from Bridj a few days ago:

That works out to be about 350 trips a week. :lol:

Do you feel like you "couldn't be happier with these results"? :wink:
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

One of those vans drove past me today. Keoride ? Something like that.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Here's a couple inn Woy Woy (before a guy in a ute made a sarcastic remark about me holding him up exiting the McDonald's car park.)
Attachments
IMG_20180903_163407-1000x563.jpg
IMG_20180903_163327_BURST001_COVER-1000x563.jpg
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

neilrex wrote:Credit card payment is required, which probably rules out my fourteen year old daughter. They also seem very vague about where you can and can't get pickup up or dropped off.

They also have a survey, which they wanted to know the origin and destination of the trip. When I provided that information, they cancelled the survey with the spurious claim that neither the origin nor the destination were in the service area, which one of the them clearly was. This service is claimed to be a feeder service to the Bline but if you say you want to go from Bayview to Sydney then it rejects your survey contribution because it is not in the service area, which is clearly is, on the map. Its not very convincing.
While a 14 year old can't have a card in her own right, she can get a clone of your CC number with her name on it.

As for the B-line connection, surely you would be travelling from Bayview to the nearest interchange point, not to the CBD.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

well I wanted to go from bayview to mona vale, and it said it was outside the service area.

Yesterday, I went to Beecroft and visited the Chatswood-Epping line for the last time.

I also got their small brochure, their big brochure, and a timetable for the northern line. The timetable is quite annoying. They have again omitted the information about where the intercity trains are going to.

The big StationLink brochure was quite interesting,

One notable omission was information about the location of Opal top-up locations which may or may not exist near any of the closed-down stations.
The station-link brochure also had some amusing information about the on-demand keoride service.

It claims it is a service for people who want to reach their destination quickly, safely, and at a time that suits them. EXCEPT ANY TIME BETWEEN 10 AM and 3 PM, apparently.

I had a look at the Keoride website, which has changed quite a lot from the last time I checked, a few weeks ago. According to their map, they now service all of the suburbs south and west of Macquarie Park, as well as north and east. The website also claims that the service is only for "workers", a claim which the northern beaches area does not make. It also claims the service is for those workers who "live or work" within 7.5 km of Macquarie Park. It seems to me, to be able to use it as a commuter, you would need to both live and work within the area. Or, are they anticipating people driving from far away, parking in areas with low parking congestion, and then using Keoride. If so, their fares might actually be cheaper than a regular bus.

Their fares at Macquarie Park are quite different to Mona Vale.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Gee, so restrictive for a service trying to gather garner popularity. Full of conditions. Only in NSW.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

Transport recommends accessing Keroride through their app.

Their app requires access to your identity, location, phone, photos, media, files and camera.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Saw one of those vans in Woy Woy pulling into a driveway to let off a couple of elderly customers. I reckon driving these would suk as a job.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Some drivers I have spoken to, love it.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Maybe it's the more personal nature of it.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Swift wrote:I reckon driving these would suk as a job.
It would have to be better than commuting to Sydney to drive one of these things, wouldn't it? ;)

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

CDC Ourbus seems to have made some changes as from 2nd October 2018. http://cdcourbus.com.au/
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

BroadGauge wrote:
Swift wrote:I reckon driving these would suk as a job.
It would have to be better than commuting to Sydney to drive one of these things, wouldn't it? ;)

My heart warms! Great picture.
OTR all day

Post by OTR all day »

Swift wrote:Saw one of those vans in Woy Woy pulling into a driveway to let off a couple of elderly customers. I reckon driving these would suk as a job.
It really depend on the hourly pay, the area you work in, the utilisation rate and what where you can and cannot go when you are waiting for a job.

If you are on hourly pay, work in a nice area with nice people and you can do your own thing as long as you are in your operating zone, then it is not bad. Extra bonus if you are near the coast during summer or if there is a practice net near where you can park or if you live within your service area.
Swift

Post by Swift »

OTR all day wrote:
Swift wrote:Saw one of those vans in Woy Woy pulling into a driveway to let off a couple of elderly customers. I reckon driving these would suk as a job.
If you are on hourly pay, work in a nice area with nice people and you can do your own thing as long as you are in your operating zone, then it is not bad. Extra bonus if you are near the coast during summer or if there is a practice net near where you can park or if you live within your service area.
That's alot of planets that need to align to make it an enjoyable job. I doubt many meet all that criteria.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fortunately not all people think like you.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”