BUS ROUTES TO BE SCRAPPED IN DRIVE FOR SAVINGS

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Skexis

Re: BUS ROUTES TO BE SCRAPPED IN DRIVE FOR SAVINGS

Post by Skexis »

nscaler69 wrote:Found a quirk in the link that worked.
Adelaide Hills Mayor Bill Spragg, said the routes running at a surplus should subsidise those running at a loss.
Are there any that run at a profit?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

If there are, they'd most likely be the 900, 415, and 157.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

I would not be surprised if the 415 disappeared and they extended the 545 or C2 to cover golden grove/greenwith and salisbury heights and salisbury park through to salisbury itself.all we need is southlink losing most of the north(560/415/430/404/405/400/401)to cover this part of the map and torrens transit taking part of the services over.I have been on a few of those 415's and there was barely anyone on them outside of school hours before and after.the 548 can still exist as a dedicated greenwith bus though a handful of times a day.
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

This is my opinion only wouldn't this be lot easier to cut routes and re route other one's if there was only 1 service provider ie Torrens Transit? That way we can re route buses and not have to worry about Adelaide services been split into contract areas and save money that way??
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

homer9000 wrote:I would not be surprised if the 415 disappeared and they extended the 545 or C2 to cover golden grove/greenwith and salisbury heights and salisbury park through to salisbury itself.all we need is southlink losing most of the north(560/415/430/404/405/400/401)to cover this part of the map and torrens transit taking part of the services over.I have been on a few of those 415's and there was barely anyone on them outside of school hours before and after.the 548 can still exist as a dedicated greenwith bus though a handful of times a day.
I posted on here a while ago about changes I would make to the north.

As there is a lack of access to LMHS from Golden Grove and Greenwith, a suggestion would be to combine 548 and 415. Give the combined route to Torrens Transit. Then, along the Grove Way, the C1 and 415 can connect. Passengers can then choose to go to Salisbury on the 415 or C1 to Elizabeth. The C1 would be rerouted via LMHS.

Of course, there would be compensation to Southlink. But that would be easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gayspie

Post by Gayspie »

Here is how to improve bus patronage according to me - a regular bus user from Adelaide:

1) Make ALL bus routes run every 10 minutes from 6 AM to Midnight on Monday through to Sunday.
2) Simplify the bus network with routes running along main roads from the city to the edge of the suburbs.
3) Introduce a few circle line orbital bus routes to avoid travelling through the CBD for cross town journeys.
4) Include comfortable seats, wheelchair access, power points, free wifi and real time arrivals as standard on all buses.
5) Ensure bus drivers are trained to be friendly, helpful, welcoming, courteous and respectful to everyone.
6) Implement a simple, flat fare, per ride, smart-card ticketing system that is intuitive to use and reliable.
7) Always have tickets available, which can be purchased on board, for tourists and infrequent bus users.
8) Permit accompanied children aged 9 and under, wheelchair users, and the frail aged to travel for free.
9) In terms of timetabling and maps, present in an easy to understand, and integrated city wide network.
10) Mandate that buses are to cooperate with trains, as feeder services, instead of competing with trains.
11) Allow people to bring pets, luggage, and bikes on buses at all times and free of additional cost.
12) Make the price of car registration cover the full cost of providing roads and their related infrastructure.
13) Tell the TV stations to stop shoving car and car related product commercials down our throat all program long.

Thoughts ?
Regional rail in SA, for the future we all want!!!

Formerly known as heath loxton
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

heath loxton wrote:Here is how to improve bus patronage according to me - a regular bus user from Adelaide:

1) Make ALL bus routes run every 10 minutes from 6 AM to Midnight on Monday through to Sunday.
By how much are you planning on increasing taxes in order to fund this?
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I don't think routes like the 822, 852, 900 and 834 would have the demand for 6 services per hour both ways even in peak let alone at night and on public holidays.

A downside to the current weekend frequencies is the unpleasantly high percentage of services operated by CB80s. I doubt the DPTI really wants a high number of folks using PT despite what it looks like at first glance, as there isn't much to gain from such a thing financially. The status quo for PT will presumably remain as it is well into the future
Gayspie

Post by Gayspie »

What i mean is we need a total review of Adelaide's higgledy - piggledy bus network that is confusing for even transport enthusiasts, let alone tourists, to understand.

We should have radial bus services radiating out of the CBD along with a few circle lines which orbit the cbd with one route per road going to one place where possible.

Something that also really cheeses me off is when the bus decides to leave the main road and start twisting and turning down side streets to stop at every school, park, etc.

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

TA3001 wrote: A downside to the current weekend frequencies is the unpleasantly high percentage of services operated by CB80s. I doubt the DPTI really wants a high number of folks using PT despite what it looks like at first glance, as there isn't much to gain from such a thing financially. The status quo for PT will presumably remain as it is well into the future
What issue do you have with CB80's?
Living in the Shire.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

In the northern Adelaide area many routes could be combined.

400 and 440 (extend it to Willaston via Adelaide Road)
401/403 (extended to Elizabeth via Elizabeth South) and 441/442

411 and 565
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

You could argue that the whole Outer North needs looking into.

No bus services in Craigmore after 9pm. That’s a joke.

Could you run a trial for a service from Gawler Station to Munno Para Shops?

There are new parts of Parafield Gardens and Globe Derby Park that have no public transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gayspie

Post by Gayspie »

Perhaps we could turn adelaide metro into a worker owned and managed cooperative with all costs required to be covered by fares. :D

TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I'm sure the commuters would be rapt with having to pay up to $200 a day to go via PT when traveling by car (solo) can amount to less than a tenth of this.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

I DID calculations on the buses and it is dearer than driving but Easier on me if i need to go to town after work for gym and library visits and everything else before home for the most part.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

heath loxton wrote:Here is how to improve bus patronage according to me - a regular bus user from Adelaide:

5) Ensure bus drivers are trained to be friendly, helpful, welcoming, courteous and respectful to everyone.
Can we please ensure the same for passengers?
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

just be thankful when light city lost it's part of the contract uber were not even in the running to take it over.there's no way i would support a company where part of your fares paid actually helps americans or the dutch at the cost of local jobs.
jibb

Post by jibb »

On Leon Byner's program on 5aa this morning he stated that the 2 bus companies have to find $5 million in savings,which they are finalizing.
Thats a lot of trips that will have to be cut!
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

jibb wrote:On Leon Byner's program on 5aa this morning he stated that the 2 bus companies have to find $5 million in savings,which they are finalizing.
Thats a lot of trips that will have to be cut!
That will not be easy on what are low profit margin contracts.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I guess homer 9000 does not travel on Southlink services whose parent company is French.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

2) Simplify the bus network with routes running along main roads from the city to the edge of the suburbs.
3) Introduce a few circle line orbital bus routes to avoid travelling through the CBD for cross town journeys.
4) Include comfortable seats, wheelchair access, power points, free wifi and real time arrivals as standard on all buses.
6) Implement a simple, flat fare, per ride, smart-card ticketing system that is intuitive to use and reliable.
7) Always have tickets available, which can be purchased on board, for tourists and infrequent bus users.
8) Permit accompanied children aged 9 and under, wheelchair users, and the frail aged to travel for free.
9) In terms of timetabling and maps, present in an easy to understand, and integrated city wide network.
10) Mandate that buses are to cooperate with trains, as feeder services, instead of competing with trains.
11) Allow people to bring pets, luggage, and bikes on buses at all times and free of additional cost.
12) Make the price of car registration cover the full cost of providing roads and their related infrastructure.
13) Tell the TV stations to stop shoving car and car related product commercials down our throat all program long.

Thoughts ?
Yeah, most of the above either already exists or is a ridiculous ask.
heath loxton wrote:Something that also really cheeses me off is when the bus decides to leave the main road and start twisting and turning down side streets to stop at every school, park, etc.
So public transport should stick to main roads only instead of servicing places that warrant it?
Last edited by Skexis on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

homer9000 wrote:...there's no way i would support a company where part of your fares paid actually helps americans or the dutch at the cost of local jobs.
So you will never buy anything in foreign owned stores like Aldi and Ikea? You will never drive a car or a motorcycle because the manufacturing companies are all overseas owned and Holden shut down? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Post by I Follow PAFC »

GHOST BUS BUSTERS: THE ROUTES THAT WILL BE SLASHED.
WHO YA GONNA HAIL? Thirty bus routes will have 110 trips cut, some of them dubbed “ghost buses” by the State Government because the only person on board is the driver.

Behind a Pay wall.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... c3a1ef9d0f
jibb

Post by jibb »

32 Routes,110 trips are the ones affected mainly in the Outer South and Outer North(Southlink).
Mainly cuts to Late night and Early morning trips
150 Reduced frequency
333 Large cuts in services
350 Route discontinued
G30F 2 pm peak trips cancelled.
Outer North
222 Extra services
224 services shortened to feeder services
225 service cuts
40A,401,404,405,411,451,452,491
all have service cuts

Outer South
681,682,683 service cuts
721L Late night service cuts
722 Early,late service cuts
733,733G late night service cuts
724,734,725 Early,late service cuts
737 early service cuts
741 service cuts
750,751 service cuts
743,745C,745B late night service cuts
softgrow

Post by softgrow »

Full List from Advertiser.com.au, no doubt a press release this afternoon from Mr Knoll.

Route,Service changes
150,Reduced frequency between 9.40am and 3.25pm Monday to Friday due to proximity to Outer Harbor train line. Extensions to the Australian Submarine Corporation to be restored
222,Additional weeknight and weekend PM services to maintain Go Zone
224,Services shortened to feeder services (Elizabeth to Mawson Lakes and return only). 09.32am to last service to city Monday to Friday before 2.47pm and after 6.06pm from the city Monday to Friday all day on weekends and public holidays
225,First AM Monday to Friday service removed (both directions)
333,"All services removed except 2 AM and 2 PM peak trips, due to proximity to Outer Harbor train line and low patronage, Departing Military Road 59 at 08.34am and 09.04am retained, Departing Port Adelaide at 2.30pm and 3.15pm retained"
350,Route being removed due to ongoing consistently low patronage
400a,First AM Monday to Friday Salisbury North to Salisbury service removed
401,Last PM Salisbury to Paralowie service removed Monday to Saturday
404,First AM Monday to Friday anticlockwise loop service removed
405,First AM Monday to Friday clockwise loop service removed
411,Last PM Mawson Lakes to Salisbury service removed Monday to Saturday
451,"First two AM Monday to Friday services to Elizabeth removed, First AM Monday to Friday service to Munno Para Centre removed"
451a,Last PM service from Elizabeth removed 7 days a week
452,First AM Monday to Friday service to Elizabeth removed
491,First two AM Monday to Friday services removed
681,"First AM Monday to Friday service removed in both directions, 681A "
681a,Last PM service from Hallett Cove Beach Station removed 7 days a week First AM Saturday service from Hallett Cove Beach Station removed
682,"First AM Monday to Friday service removed in both directions, Last PM service from Hallett Cove Beach Station removed 7 days a week, First AM Saturday service to Hallett Cove Beach Station removed, First AM Sunday and public holidays service from Hallett Cove Beach Station removed"
683,"Last PM Monday to Friday service from Hallett Cove Beach Station removed, First AM Sunday and public holidays service to Hallett Cove Beach Station removed"
721L,Last late night services removed 7 days a week
722,"First AM Monday to Friday service to Noarlunga Centre removed, Last PM service to Noarlunga Centre removed 7 days a week, 722A Last PM service from Noarlunga Centre removed 7 days a week"
722a,Last PM service from Noarlunga Centre removed 7 days a week
733,Last PM service to Noarlunga removed 7 days a week
733G,Last PM service from Noarlunga removed 7 days a week
724,First AM service Monday to Friday from Noarlunga Centre removed
734,First AM service Monday to Friday to Noarlunga Centre removed
725,First AM service Monday to Friday to Noarlunga removed Last PM services to Noarlunga removed 7 days a week
725a,Last PM service to Old Reynella removed 7 days a week
737,First AM service Monday to Friday to Old Reynella removed
741,"Reduced frequency to every 60 minutes (with 750/751) between Seaford and Colonnades due to proximity to Seaford train line, Monday to Friday services from Maslin Beach at 9.20am and 11.20am removed, Monday to Friday services from Colonnades at 12.24pm, 2.24pm, 4.24pm and 5.15pm removed Monday to Friday services from Colonnades at 5.56pm and 7.11pm shortened to commence at Seaford Interchange "
741a,Service from Maslin Beach Monday to Friday at 5.12am removed
750,Reduced frequency to every 60 minutes (with 741/751) between Seaford and Colonnades due to proximity to Seaford train line
750 Inbound,"750 services from Seaford to Noarlunga Monday to Friday at 8.26am, 6.08pm and 7.38pm removed"
750 Inbound,"750 services at 9.40am, 11.40am, 12.40pm, 1.40pm, 2.40pm, 3.40pm, 4.40pm and 6.06pm from Sellicks Beach shortened to terminate at Seaford Monday to Friday and display route 750R"
750,"750 weekend services from Sellicks Beach/Aldinga Shopping Centre at 7.27am, 8.27am, 9.58am, 10.27am, 11.58am, 12.27pm, 1.58pm, 2.27pm, 3.58pm, 4.27pm and 5.58pm shortened to terminate at Seaford and display route 750R "
750b Outbound,"750B services from Noarlunga Centre Monday to Friday at 9.24am, 10.24am, 11.24am, 1.24pm and 3.24pm shortened to commence from Seaford "
750b Outbound,750B service from Seaford Monday to Friday at 11.57pm removed
750c Outbound,750C services from Noarlunga Centre at 7.42am Monday to Friday and at 11.52pm 7 days a week removed
750b Outbound,750B service from Noarlunga Centre at 11.52pm removed 7 days a week
750 and 750B Outbound,"750 and 750B services from Colonnades and Noarlunga Centre on weekends at 8.57am, 9.55am, 10.55am, 11.55am, 12.55pm, 1.55pm, 2.55pm, 3.55pm, 4.55pm, 5.55pm and 6.55pm shortened to commence from Seaford"
750b Outbound,750B service from Seaford Monday to Friday at 11.57pm removed
751 Outbound,751 Reduced frequency to every 60 minutes (with 741/750) between Seaford and Colonnades due to proximity to Seaford train line
751/751A Inbound,"751/751A services from Aldinga Monday to Friday at 6.32am, 6.52am, 7.14pm, 8.14pm and 9.14pm shortened to terminate at Seaford and display route 751R "
751C Inbound,751C service from Aldinga Monday to Friday at 8.03am removed
751A Inbound,751A weekend services from Aldinga at 7.14pm and Willunga at 8.31pm will terminate at Seaford and display 751R
751A Inbound,751A service from Seaford on weekends at 10.01pm removed
751 Outbound,751 service from Colonnades Monday to Friday at 6.26pm shortened to commence from Seaford
751R Outbound,751R service from Colonnades Monday to Friday at 9.33pm removed
751 Outbound,751 service from Noarlunga Centre on weekends at 8.27pm shortened to commence from Seaford
751R Outbound,751R service from Colonnades on weekends at 9.27pm removed
743 Outbound,First AM Monday to Friday loop service removed
745C Outbound,Last PM service from Noarlunga removed 7 days a week
747B Outbound,Last PM service from Noarlunga removed 7 days a week
G30F Outbound,Two outbound PM peak trips removed due to close availability of Belair train line

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”