S Set Retirement

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
r_rogel

Re: S Set Retirement

Post by r_rogel »

I thought that the carriages were not for private sale.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Bus883&1022 wrote:
Some people like the newer trains, those that don’t break down as often as the Older ones, some S sets may be retained for the heritage fleet or At least it’s what Sydney told me. The steam trains date back to the early twentieth century, and there are still some around today, mostly in museums with some occasionally going out on the tracks for heritage tours. The Red ‘Rattler’ occasionally comes out for heritage tours and there are some S set carriages preserved into rail houses, If I recall correctly there was an S set carriage at The Train Shed theme park, which closed back in 2014, The S sets will occasionally come out for heritage tours, there was once four S set Carriages coupled to a row af AK carriages in 2014.

There are likely to be a few S sets being retained for the Sydney railway museum, all the others may come up for sale for rail houses. There are people that like to learn about the history of the NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways)
It seems you are confusing "sets" (4 cars to a set) with individual carriages. There might be a few carriages retained for the heritage fleet (one operational set and maybe one car for the Museum), but not a few sets.

As of a couple of months agto, there were still four S set motor cars assigned to haul the AK carriages around Sydney.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

boronia wrote:
Bus883&1022 wrote:
Some people like the newer trains, those that don’t break down as often as the Older ones, some S sets may be retained for the heritage fleet or At least it’s what Sydney told me. The steam trains date back to the early twentieth century, and there are still some around today, mostly in museums with some occasionally going out on the tracks for heritage tours. The Red ‘Rattler’ occasionally comes out for heritage tours and there are some S set carriages preserved into rail houses, If I recall correctly there was an S set carriage at The Train Shed theme park, which closed back in 2014, The S sets will occasionally come out for heritage tours, there was once four S set Carriages coupled to a row af AK carriages in 2014.

There are likely to be a few S sets being retained for the Sydney railway museum, all the others may come up for sale for rail houses. There are people that like to learn about the history of the NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways)
It seems you are confusing "sets" (4 cars to a set) with individual carriages. There might be a few carriages retained for the heritage fleet (one operational set and maybe one car for the Museum), but not a few sets.

As of a couple of months ago, there were still four S set motor cars assigned to haul the AK carriages around Sydney.
That’s Interesting to see, not sure how long those S set cars were used to haul 3 AK cars but I’d say quite some time, and yes I was talking about individual carriages, not the set itself.

Regards,

Bus883&1022
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Admin: Please keep to the subject - we dont want to make this a game thread.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Bus883&1022 wrote: and yes I was talking about individual carriages, not the set itself.

Regards,
Bus883&1022
That is certainly NOT how many of your pots have come across.
Living in the Shire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

As you may have seen in the $1.7 Million order for new Waratah trains thread the first B series Waratah is about to enter service which means that they will probably start retiring the S sets next week. I am guessing that S103 will be retired first as it is the oldest in the fleet.

And will Sydney Trains or Transport Heritage NSW run a S set farewell tour?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

idontknow556 wrote: I am guessing that S103 will be retired first as it is the oldest in the fleet.
Do you know when S103 dates? 1977 or close?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Looking at the fleet lists I am guessing that this was built between 1972 and 1976.
Swift

Post by Swift »

idontknow556 wrote:Looking at the fleet lists I am guessing that this was built between 1972 and 1976.
That's why I like trains. Good luck finding a bus that goes back much beyond 1995.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

What will happen with the rostering for trains on the Carlingford line and the Olympic Park sprint line when the S sets are retired
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

They'll most likely be replaced by K or C sets. But during special events A or B sets will run on the Olympic park line.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:What will happen with the rostering for trains on the Carlingford line and the Olympic Park sprint line when the S sets are retired
Still got M Sets around. I would imagine they will be the choice.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Campbelltown busboy

Aurora wrote:
Campbelltown busboy wrote:What will happen with the rostering for trains on the Carlingford line and the Olympic Park sprint line when the S sets are retired
They could use Waratahs on the Olympic Park line as both Olympic Park and Lidcombe platform 0 can acommodate for 8 car trains where the langth of platforms at most stations on the Carlingford line might be at the langth where they can only accommodate 4 car trains I went in to full detail about the Carlingford line 4 car train rostering the B set thread
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 4#p1032669
MotorOmnibus8562

The Carlingford line will close over the coming years to make way for light rail
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
boronia

Post by boronia »

Aurora wrote:
I've seen plenty of 4Ms on OP line,

Possibly also on Carlingford, Weren't they on the service that terminated at Sydney Terminal, then ran to Schofields.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

boronia wrote:Possibly also on Carlingford, Weren't they on the service that terminated at Sydney Terminal, then ran to Schofields.
The roster your thinking of was run by ether a S set K or C set the roster was roster 95 witch had early morning Clyde-Carlingford yo-yos then the Carlingford to Sydney Terminal service then that Sydney Terminal to Schofields service after that it ran Cumberland line services witch I’m pretty sure it’s last run was the 16:50 Schofields to Campbelltown service
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

boronia wrote:Possibly also on Carlingford, Weren't they on the service that terminated at Sydney Terminal, then ran to Schofields.
That service which existed until last year was scheduled as a K set, which were scheduled on all weekday services in the past timetable.

Presently weekday services are scheduled as 4-car S sets from first train until 6:26pm (ex-Clyde), then a single M set runs the service from 6:56pm until last train. On weekends the shuttle is scheduled to be run with a single Millennium set.
Campbelltown busboy wrote:They could use Waratahs on the Olympic Park line as both Olympic Park and Lidcombe platform 0 can acommodate for 8 car trains
They could, but it would be fairly wasteful to use the newest 8-car sets on a five minute long shuttle that probably only needs 15% of that capacity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Swift wrote:
idontknow556 wrote: I am guessing that S103 will be retired first as it is the oldest in the fleet.
Do you know when S103 dates? 1977 or close?
It is hard to date a set, because the individual cars may have been swapped around over time, and sets renumbered if moved between sectors.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Boronia wrote: It is hard to date a set, because the individual cars may have been swapped around over time, and sets renumbered if moved between sectors.
That always frustrated with Comeng cars, no date of manufacture displayed anywhere, unlike a lot of buses where the month and year are commonly visible the build plate around the front the bus.
Campbelltown busboy

There would of been a time up to the early 1990s where S sets were spread across 4 maintenance depots witch would have been Flemington Hornsby Mortdale and Punchbowl with the Punchbowl based S sets ending up at Flemington after the Punchbowl maintenance centre closure
MotorOmnibus8562

Campbelltown busboy wrote:There would of been a time up to the early 1990s where S sets were spread across 4 maintenance depots which would have been Flemington Hornsby Mortdale and Punchbowl with the Punchbowl based S sets ending up at Flemington after the Punchbowl maintenance centre closure
Would have been convenient for mechanics living in the Bankstown-Punchbowl at that time, and then the Punchbowl depot closes and now they have to work at other depots like Flemington etc.

But why did the punchbowl depot close?
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”