STA Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote:I hate the looks of the Optimus, especially the front with those slitty headlights. It looks so cheesy. That Leyland National like rear roof pod is uglier than the worst sin. I guess the Volvo engine actually sounds like an engine again instead of a dog whistle, but no better than a Scania. We may as well have full electric propulsion now.
Personally I think the Optimus looks the way a modern bus should look and is at least a modest aesthetic masterpiece imho, but that all boils down to everybody's personal opinion of course. What interests me most is that Volgren has made an effort with internal ergonomics to make the design function optimally as a commuter bus, including most importantly for the comfort of its passengers - issues like step heights, seat pitch, seat layout, internal lighting, window-line for the benefit of passengers rather than bus engineers, etc. They're also just about the only local body-builder who can do a proper low-floor bus well.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I can see why a lot of drivers are raving about these buses....the speed off the mark is just a breath of fresh air.
Two improvements would be reinstating the back window to allow more light in and raising the seats on plinths so that passengers can have a better view.
Go Cats.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Ray wrote: Two improvements would be reinstating the back window to allow more light in and raising the seats on plinths so that passengers can have a better view.
I presume you mean the seats on the low-floor? The Volgren window-line is perfectly aligned with all the seats to enable a clear view out the window, while retaining adequate bulkhead protection against being thrown out the window in a side impact. There isn't much scope for adjustment in this context.

I think with rear-engined buses and the equipment that goes up to the roof in them we've kissed goodbye to the back window! Though some European models with the cooling tower just in one rear corner still manage to have a rear window.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

I was waiting for a 310 at Eastgardens this afternoon, which just managed to limp to the stop from the standing area. After some fiddling the operator climbed out, went to the the side, came back and it started. 'Someone turned off the gas' was the comment.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Not quite a observation but something doesn't seem right about that pic.

Oh wait, it was a mock from 2009 :lol: http://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic ... es#p501338
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Also the right side of the bendy looks like a Bustech front for some reason, but seeing that it is the shorter section, it must be the back. Or are there any bendies with a shorter front half?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

^ It's the back. Note the dual tyres.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It's an engine fire in a LHD (i.e. overseas) bus. Perhaps it's meant to reflect TfNSW's current attitude towards double decks vs artics - after all it's not a spiffy looking artic vs a burning double decker!
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I submitted some sharp criticism in regards to the positioning of adverts on STA buses. I noted that the foldup seats and the front-right window pane (behind the driver, luggage rack space) are always magically excluded from being smeared with ad's. I was scathing of this, and said in feedback, "this is a really bad idea...buses are designed with windows so seated passengers can look out of them. When it rains, and its crowded we can't see anything outside. People sitting down on the foldup seats on a crowded bus also can't see anything because of standing passengers, so the clear windows isn't a benefit. Her reply:
Thank you for recent feedback regarding advertising on bus windows.

Advertising over windows is an accepted format of advertising on buses both throughout Australia and internationally.

In Sydney, all advertising on bus windows is designed to be transparent, allowing a level of visibility out of the windows.

We appreciate that in wet weather conditions, visibility can be reduced through windows featuring advertising. This is why high priority areas on the kerbside of the bus (e.g. windows near the front of the bus) are always clear of advertising. This permits customers full visibility through the front windows and towards the kerbside of the bus, so they can locate their stop or keep track of where they are on a particular route.

Advertising film on bus windows has the added benefit of reducing the incidence of graffiti and minimising glare for customers on sunny days.

Kind regards
I appreciate the explanation, but I still don't think its completely convincing.

TSA has already applied adverts on their new Gemilangs, and its better done, so theres a bit on the foldup seats and then half a window pane of transverse seating is covered - thats a lot more fair. I also note TSA's ex-STA Western Sydney buses, the B12 CB60's (I saw one on route 422 the other day), theres only one ad sticker, whereas STA's (1500 series), the entire right side of the bus is pretty much completely covered. Shame.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

I saw bus 1169 parked in the compound with the S set at Petersham today.
Swift

Post by Swift »

idontknow556 wrote:I saw bus 1169 parked in the compound with the S set at Petersham today.
What have they done/ are doing with 3095?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I think you mean 3195.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Oh yes, the lower hp version of the 0405!!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

idontknow556 wrote:I saw bus 1169 parked in the compound with the S set at Petersham today.
Has been there for a few weeks now
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

sunnyyan wrote:Also the right side of the bendy looks like a Bustech front for some reason, but seeing that it is the shorter section, it must be the back. Or are there any bendies with a shorter front half?
I don't know of any bendies with just one axle in the front section
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

There is a new livery for route 333. It has been applied to 2226.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

so Port Botany appears to have changed its mind about CB80's, the last of which were all given to TSA, they've now received two of the latest Scania's, 2893, 2894. Since TSA took over R6, all of the Scania K310UB CB80 were lost to TSA, but STA appears to now be taking up some of the new ones again.

Wonder if these will last for more than a few months at P before being moved somewhere else.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

How do you know its got anything to do with P?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I am sure that P has no say in such things.
Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Tonymercury wrote:How do you know its got anything to do with P?
I just find it a bit odd that almost anything new P gets thats not a Bustech just shortly gets moved to some other depot. Scania CB80's end of last year, originally at P, lasted a matter of months before getting moved to Leichardt and then a large number of B8's originally intended for P then got moved to Burwood

I mean i'm not complaining, i'm not from the P electorate, but I can see they definitely love their Bustechs in charge of things. Just like eg, Randwick is definitely not keen on their Iveco's as earlier mentioned in this thread
Swift

Post by Swift »

They are not true Ivecos. They are a badge engineered job as a result of take over of International Harvester in Victoria. They are an amalgam of boring soulless American sourced components with an Iveco label slapped on with a tube of Bostick liquid nails from the nearest Bunnings outlet.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/nor ... ress-buses

I note Transport Info is currently advertising express buses from Dee Why and Manly Vale B-Line stops into the city. I presume these are pre existing services that they have just decided to advertise unless I have missed something.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
swtt

Post by swtt »

J_Busworth wrote:https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/nor ... ress-buses

I note Transport Info is currently advertising express buses from Dee Why and Manly Vale B-Line stops into the city. I presume these are pre existing services that they have just decided to advertise unless I have missed something.
Yeah for some strange reason this popped up today - they are just pre-existing services.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I imagine B-Line has been a victim of its own success and that this is a ploy to spread the load a bit.
I gather Opal data has highlighted that B-Line is packed yet the Exx services are relatively under-utilised.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Swift wrote:They are not true Ivecos. They are a badge engineered job as a result of take over of International Harvester in Victoria. They are an amalgam of boring soulless American sourced components with an Iveco label slapped on with a tube of Bostick liquid nails from the nearest Bunnings outlet.
Are Bunnings going to run weekend courses on this?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”