Proposed route 760 Seaford - Cranbourne

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

PaxInfo

Proposed route 760 Seaford - Cranbourne

Post by PaxInfo »

Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Andy O

Re: Proposed route 760 Seaford - Cranbourne

Post by Andy O »

Long overdue. Ive submitted my feedback. I cant help but think that Thompson Road would be a better alternative instead of Hall Road, considering it in the process of being duplicated. Interesting if this becomes a Ventura Route or Cranbourne Transit route -
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

I really don't know about this. While it looks good on paper in that the bus route isn't scribbled all over the suburbs in every direction imaginable, an hourly bus service after dark shouldn't happen anywhere that isn't considered the outback, let alone with brand new routes in a massively growing city. I am surprised however, unlike other recently announced bus routes, at least this one still runs after 7PM. And running on Sundays too, shock horror! Although I still don't get why they continue making even more crippled timetables just for Sundays (as opposed to the already crippled Saturday timetable), which only detracts people from using a bus even further.

I can just see a 59 minute wait in the cold at the train station and calls to thirteen crabs or to the hubby/missus/parents to pick them up. Even the 40 minute timetable during the day is too far apart, especially during peak where people expect to get on a bus within twenty minutes so they can reach their local station that is several kilometres away. Even if the area between Cranbourne and Seaford is sparsely populated (the main pickup areas will be around both stations, whether it be five-minute local trips or transferring from one train line to the other), it is going to be severely inadequate for anyone's needs, and I highly doubt the bus will be timed around the trains. While it might be possible to design the timetable to meet the odd train at Cranbourne, someone at the Seaford end is going to get shafted good and proper, as having only one or two buses on the route will never be able to meet both up and down Frankston trains at any given time. Never mind when (not if) the train is a few minutes late (it's almost inevitable that a bunch of ferals will get on and hold the doors until they have finished their smoke and/or their other feral mates have entered the train), of course the bus will pull out while the train is pulling into the platform. Either some bus drivers are half blind, or they get a good laugh when they see twenty random people running from the train to the bus stop while they speed off empty into the distance.
Andy O

Post by Andy O »

I would have to agree with some of your points. The main issue I see with this route is the proposed route during peak hour. Just yesterday afternoon it took me over 30 minutes to travel Hall Road from Carrum Downs to Cranbourne West. Either the timetable will need to use 2 (maybe even 3) buses to maintain a 40 minute frequency if the timetable actually allows for the traffic or the service will effectively miss a whole round triop due to running so late. A connection detween Carrum Downs and Cranbourne is definitely well overdue (even after dark) but I think a service every 40 minutes which wont even meet every train and effectively misses servicing Sandhurst estate is not the answer. This will be yet another bus route overlapping in Carrum Down while other areas remain unserviced. Its a great initiative but I still feel this is more of vote grabbing rouyte as opposed to a well thought out to service to serve the community.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Another article

https://cranbournenews.starcommunity.co ... -on-buses/

Also details of a bus meeting in Chelsea next month
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I'm perplexed why Andy O is negative about the proposed alignment. It serves a different purpose than the current 779 & 832.

For over 30 years, the local routes in Carrum Downs, Skye & Belvedere have focused primarily on local travel into Frankston. While this is an important destination, this completely ignores the needs of anyone wanting to head towards the City, with passengers forced to travel out of their way south before they can head in the correct direction, and deviating via Frankston North on the way. Just over 10 years ago, the only evening peak services for much of the suburb were combined 831/832 trips at 5:15pm & 6:30pm - close to useless for anyone working in the CBD to use.

While buses now run past 9pm, they are still hopelessly slow to reach the nearest station compared to jumping in the car to park at Seaford, Carrum or Chelsea. The 833 extension to Carrum last year is the usual case of a single route trying to do too many things, the dog-leg to connect with the 901 wastes over 5 minutes before the bus heads to the eastern extreme of the suburb to give lip-service to Sandhurst, without going through the actual estate (the doubters need to look at the moderate success of 496 through Sanctuary Lakes before ruling out a bus could work inside a golf course). Trips are timed at over half an hour to reach Carrum from Carrum Downs Regional Shopping Centre, still just as quick to go backwards to Kanannok or Frankston.

The proposed route seems to tick plenty of boxes to me:
- Fast & logical rail east-west access to the Frankston line from Belvedere, Carrum Downs & Skye
- Improved local shopping options for Belvedere residents, including access to Seaford Woolworths and Carrum Downs Regional Shopping Centre & adjoining community facilities
- Finally provides a bus route to the south-east corner of Skye south of Ballarto Rd, a long forgotten pocket that can't be served without affecting the existing 832 catchment
- Provides access to Carrum Downs Plaza at corner of Ballarto Rd & McCormicks Rd
- Provides Carrum Downs residents with rapid access to Cranbourne Park Shopping Centre, Cranbourne Chisholm TAFE & various community facilities in Cranbourne without backtracking
- Logical Cranbourne Line access from Carrum Downs & opportunities to connect with other bus routes (e.g. to Hampton Park, Fountain Gate & eventually Berwick)
- Quicker access to Cranbourne from suburbs like Chelsea versus the current 791 bus alternative, given the connection will be made closer to Melbourne
- Provides better cross-suburban access to Flinders Christian Community College & St Peter's West Campus, improving on limited school bus options

I am not sure running the route via Thompsons Rd is a better answer, as this would make access to Cranbourne Park Shopping Centre quite convoluted (I get that train connections would be at Merinda Park). The fact that traffic on Hall Rd is a disaster suggests the route is well overdue.

My main concern though is with the frequency - a 20 mins peak hour headway should have been the aim here, to provide a reliable option for rail connections, especially in the afternoons when regular train delays will cause issues. This would also make the route more attractive for local travel - 40 mins is a benchmark for the captive market. As for Seaford connections, Heihachi_73 seems to have forgotten there is a 10 min train daytime train frequency, so that should not be a huge issue to make work, at least on paper.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Andy O

Post by Andy O »

All very interesting points Craig, definitely agree, I would like to see it maybe just continue to the corner of ballarto and hall then Left to Carrum Downs shopping centre This area of ballarto road is not currently not covered and the dog leg just overlaps the 832 if im not mistaken. I wouldn't say im negative about the route. im just very sceptical that it is actually going to do anything to reduce congestion on Hall Road. Regularly using Hall Road during afternoon peak I can say for sure travel times generally triple to around 35 minutes to get from Carrum Downs to the other side of the westernport Highway intersection. Im more concerned how the timetable would look, if it accounts for traffic, the timetable may not look so appealing if it doesn't I can just see the service running massively late agin not looking as attractive as it actually is.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Well, train connections at Seaford wouldn't be much of a problem during the day, but the problem of Seaford passengers waiting 30/40/60 minutes for a bus is still very much there unless the bus is timed with the train or (shock horror) they start running every 20 minutes during the day. Going by the fact that "my" 742 runs on average every 40 to 60 minutes in a much more built up area, I would not hold my breath.

And yes, it is difficult to remember that not all trains are as utterly useless as they are on the Lilydale/Belgrave lines beyond Ringwood. A small number of buses (670?) are in fact more frequent than the trains at certain times of the day. :)
Andy O

Post by Andy O »

Timetable now on PTV Website. General Frequency is 40 minutes with some oddities in both morning and afternoon peak. Not sure how realistic some of the timings are going to be, especially between Carrum Downs and Cranbourne in the afternoon peak with most trips only having less than 5 minutes turnaround at Cranbourne but time will tell. None the less anything is better than nothing. On a side note I'm interested to see if the buses are dead running during the peak to another route at Seaford or if there are just ridiculous long (around 35 minutes) dwell time between trips.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Sonya Kilkenny video ad filmed at depot

https://www.facebook.com/SonyaKilkennyM ... 325948092/
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Video of trip from Seaford - Cranbourne and back to Seaford with local MP on board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82oGx3WRSe4
Andy O

Post by Andy O »

Anyone have any observations of this trip so far? Travelled on it today around 130 for the first time and loadings were quite good. Probably a dozen most of the way from Carrum Downs to Cranbourne. Seems a lot of people are using it as an alternative into the new estates around Amstel from Seaford instead of using the 791 from Frankston.
Having driven home from Carrum Downs to Cranbourne around 430 the trip from Carrum Downs Shopping Centre to Amstel took me 21 minutes, the bus is given 13 minutes so not sure about the peak hour efficiency but time will tell.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Andy for the report.That is pretty good for a new service.
Will be interesting to see how this service performs.I think the potential here is excellent.
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

I travelled on it on Monday1st July. Around 12pm from Seaford. 4 including myself boarded at Seaford. By the time I hopped off at Cranbourne shopping centre there was about 15 on board.

It had me thinking. Come summer time this service could do well with people heading to and from Seaford Beach

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
E.L.Wood
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Post by E.L.Wood »

I sampled the 760 in the early afternoon and 12 pax boarded at Cranbourne with half getting off in the Carrum Downs area after turning off Hall Road with a couple more exiting on Ballarto Road and the remaining 4 going to Seaford, 3 stayed on the bus to go to the Seaford shops. Not the travel patterns I expected. 1 got on in Seaford and went to the Station.
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”