STA Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Jurassic_Joke

Re: STA Observations - July to December 2018

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

idontknow556 wrote:3505 is operating on 400 today which is a very rare sight. As I said before Scania L113CRBs don't normally operate on Sundays
I still think thats a much better idea than Bustech Midi, which Waverley should hang its head in shame for using on 400 so often on the weekend.

Also, while we are on the topic, some interesting news on the Volvo B12BLE's Waverley very recently got. I noticed several running on the 380 (and 300) last night - thats a good bump in capacity over a Bustech Midi, so its good they acted on that. Looks like Waverley did want to use 12m buses on 380 overnight, but just weren't willing for that to be gas buses.

That issue plagued the 380 for way too long - but im curious + remains to be seen whether the incoming 333N will be standard buses (have a sinking feeling itll be these recent VolvoB12's) or bendy buses.
Cowra
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.

Post by Cowra »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
idontknow556 wrote:3505 is operating on 400 today which is a very rare sight. As I said before Scania L113CRBs don't normally operate on Sundays
I still think thats a much better idea than Bustech Midi, which Waverley should hang its head in shame for using on 400 so often on the weekend.

Also, while we are on the topic, some interesting news on the Volvo B12BLE's Waverley very recently got. I noticed several running on the 380 (and 300) last night - thats a good bump in capacity over a Bustech Midi, so its good they acted on that. Looks like Waverley did want to use 12m buses on 380 overnight, but just weren't willing for that to be gas buses.

That issue plagued the 380 for way too long - but im curious + remains to be seen whether the incoming 333N will be standard buses (have a sinking feeling itll be these recent VolvoB12's) or bendy buses.
A directive was issued to minimize gas bus usage on overnight runs shortly after the midi Bustechs arrived.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Hopefully they'll have enough of these b12ble euro Vs to send some out in lieu of VSTMs on the 400. Don't State Transit realise the weekend patronage isn't sleepy like it used to be, particularly in the cosmopolitan south and east region ?? I consider rampant VSTM use on major runs to be criminal activity.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

The VSTMs are meant to be used on routes 355,328,326,327,361 and probably some others where 12.5m buses can't fit. I suggest VSTMs instead of being used on trunk services be more used on the quieter 316,317, 352, 311 & 360 services. 360 in particular would benefit from VSTM usage it go up the hills of Bronte & Waverley better.

Safe to assume the directive to minimise gas bus usage overnight also introduced when P got its Bustechs.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Didn't they used to favour gas buses for fuel cost savings? Is it to avoid filling them up late at night?
Squat VSTMs were bought for the purpose of using on those tight and twisty runs, but inevitably got treated as just another member of the fleet and Indio inappropriately placed on intensive runs in the off peak.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

While on that subject, want to very happily say that N10 and N11 (Port Botany) have been made great again, because the initial Bustech-only service has been diluted now with the new B8’s, offering a much more comfortable and smooth ride to overnight passengers in the Shire. Some B12BLE CB60 Euro 5 now also run on this nightride (P also got some of these recently?). This also goes for other overnight services from P (301,310), where Bustechs once dominated, it’s now also shared with the B8 buses, which is great. Let’s hope that P actually keeps these new buses.
B2A23039-591E-4711-A0E2-79D88EDA63C0.jpeg
B2A23039-591E-4711-A0E2-79D88EDA63C0.jpeg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 8216 times
Last edited by Jurassic_Joke on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Swift wrote:Didn't they used to favour gas buses for fuel cost savings? Is it to avoid filling them up late at night?
Squat VSTMs were bought for the purpose of using on those tight and twisty runs, but inevitably got treated as just another member of the fleet and Indio inappropriately placed on intensive runs in the off peak.
I think the economics of gas buses fell out of favour in recent years the cost of CNG fuel probably rising faster than diesel. Diesel buses have had improvements in fuel consumption.
Jurassic_Joke wrote:
Some B12BLE CB60 Euro 5 now also run on this nightride (P also got some of these recently?).
P has about 9 of them currently though I doubt they will stay for a long period of time.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Frosty wrote:The VSTMs are meant to be used on routes 355,328,326,327,361 and probably some others where 12.5m buses can't fit. I suggest VSTMs instead of being used on trunk services be more used on the quieter 316,317, 352, 311 & 360 services.
The issue I have with all this, if the shorter VSTM's were really only meant for those routes with sharp and twisty turns, i mean, replacing the last Mark V's from W, then they should've only ordered perhaps 15 or 20, so you always have just enough for those routes only. But no, they ordered nearly 30, where clearly, they have too much time on their hands, because they seem to spend just as much time on routes they weren't ordered/designed for. 20 VSTM wouldve been sufficient - and then the other 10 buses could've been some standard 12m, i don't know from the time, Iveco Metro Volgren Optimus, which would be suitable for 380 overnight or 400 weekend.

I wouldn't really recommend VSTM on 352 Bondi-Marrickville via Newtown (has CNG buses during the day), although unfortunately its a reality at night-time - this particular route has seen a pretty significant growth in patronage ever since it got a service extension to run later at night, back in November 2017's big changes. It's actually a solid alternative for the train, from Bondi, for a direct connection straight to University of Sydney or Newtown without having to change.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:I

I wouldn't really recommend VSTM on 352 Bondi-Marrickville via Newtown (has CNG buses during the day), although unfortunately its a reality at night-time - this particular route has seen a pretty significant growth in patronage ever since it got a service extension to run later at night, back in November 2017's big changes. It's actually a solid alternative for the train, from Bondi, for a direct connection straight to University of Sydney or Newtown without having to change.
It sounds like this 352 merits some B12BLEAs, especially as an alternative to the train between the two ends.
I was going to say that Port Botany underutilized their B12BLEA fleet, but have noticed them used this weekend on Maroubra Beach runs. I assume that had been going on for a while.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

So according to Fleet Lists, it looks like 2913 Volvo B8 CB80 will become the next "unicorn", at least for now (only one of its kind) bus, because 2914-2920 has just been filled and confirmed as more Optimus. Starting to wonder if that bus was a test/demonstration bus for the newer B8 chassis - clearly a success given 46 B8 Optimus ordered in total (including those that went to TSA).
Swift

Post by Swift »

I caught one of those Optimus (Prime) Vlovvos yesty. I don't know why people are so smitten by them. Just another boring quiet modern bus with the charm of a kitchen appliance. My old Ronson hand mixer has more character.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Not sure if it had been posted. In Sep, there will be changes to bus stops along the Parramatta to Macquarie Park via Epping; Terrey Hills, Belrose and Davidson to City, Botany to Gore Hill and Bondi Junction to Chatswood, Dee Why to Manly via Mona Vale bus corridors - routes M20, M40, M54, 270, 271, and 136.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/easi ... ogram.html
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Wikipedia shows an STA route "250: City - King Street Wharf to Artarmon Industrial Area Loop" of which I can not find any record. Is there such a route?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

stupid_girl wrote:Not sure if it had been posted. In Sep, there will be changes to bus stops along the Parramatta to Macquarie Park via Epping; Terrey Hills, Belrose and Davidson to City, Botany to Gore Hill and Bondi Junction to Chatswood, Dee Why to Manly via Mona Vale bus corridors - routes M20, M40, M54, 270, 271, and 136.

The article states that it will start next Monday 3rd September for Forest routes 270 and 271 and STA route 136 with the Metrobus changes from 10th September.

And http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/pro ... 018-08.pdf states that the proposed deletion of two stops for route 136 will not proceed. But http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/pro ... 018-08.pdf shows that another stops on this route will go on 3rd September
Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Swift wrote:I caught one of those Optimus (Prime) Vlovvos yesty. I don't know why people are so smitten by them. Just another boring quiet modern bus with the charm of a kitchen appliance. My old Ronson hand mixer has more character.
What are your thoughts on that bus compared to Randwicks Iveco Optimus’?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
What are your thoughts on that bus compared to Randwicks Iveco Optimus’?
Only been on them twice but they are way more interesting. Certainly stand out from the rest of the fleet. A garbage truck sound is a big improvement over a dish washer!
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Swift wrote: A garbage truck sound is a big improvement over a dish washer!
Is that with the compactor working?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Tonymercury wrote:
Swift wrote: A garbage truck sound is a big improvement over a dish washer!
Is that with the compactor working?
No, but crashing over craters and bumps in the road is not unlike the mechanical arm emptying the bins! :P
fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

Fleet Lists wrote:Wikipedia shows an STA route "250: City - King Street Wharf to Artarmon Industrial Area Loop" of which I can not find any record. Is there such a route?

Route 250 was Taronga Zoo to Lane Cove service
fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

stupid_girl wrote:Not sure if it had been posted. In Sep, there will be changes to bus stops along the Parramatta to Macquarie Park via Epping; Terrey Hills, Belrose and Davidson to City, Botany to Gore Hill and Bondi Junction to Chatswood, Dee Why to Manly via Mona Vale bus corridors - routes M20, M40, M54, 270, 271, and 136.

Dee Why to Manly via Mona Vale.??????
fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

Swift wrote:Took my first Ryde..ride in Volvo B8RLE 2848. Makes the VST Scanias sound interesting in comparison and is not as smooth as the B7RLEs. Sounds good on the outside though. I think Daniel may be onto something regarding smaller windows being better as the large pane of glass opposite the centre doors visibly wobbled as the bus went.
I took this photo of the PTC wrapped bus after getting off in Waverley. It was doing a 400 to Bondi Jcn. This is the first time I have ridden a bus in this livery since I rode on 2163 on a 389 almost twenty years ago in 1999. I also saw it last night in Randwick. I take it to be R based and not with TSA despite still having a K run plate? Someone mentioned recently that R ate slow in changing them over.
Sorry for the blurry picture but I think it was worth posting this up.

Hey Swift. If you are relating to 2848ST, its not a Volvo B8RLE. Its the first MAN double decker based at Mona Vale.
Swift

Post by Swift »

There was no mistaking it for a MAN Gemilang, even if I was drunk, and I wasn't. I was going by what I saw on the bulk head. Maybe the plates don't correspond.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Swift wrote:There was no mistaking it for a MAN Gemilang, even if I was drunk, and I wasn't. I was going by what I saw on the bulk head. Maybe the plates don't correspond.
Did you mean to write 2948 instead? That's a Volvo B8RLE at Port Botany.

For me, I'm very pleased with these buses, has everything i could ask for, and if STA were to order more, I would have no doubts. I agree with Swift that it is actually not as smooth as the B7, but it has a much better engine sound, notably when its picking up speed.

However, I notice because of the abundance of the B8's, the novelty of Randwicks select few Iveco Metro Optimus (and the fun of finding them) has largely worn off now in my experience/opinion because the two bus types here, engine sound aside, are extremely similar. Very few differences in the interior/exterior.

The only other difference is, I can see Randwick isn't that keen on their Optimus buses, they're barely used at all outside of weekday daytime (very incidental to see one out on the weekend, or at night time), whereas I can see Ryde (and Burwood TSA ;) ) really uses theirs as much as they can. Last night as a matter of fact, coming home from Parramatta road quite late at night, there was only new B8 Optimus and Scania K310UB CB80 on the road (plus one or two Bustechs), which is a far different scene from when STA was in charge of Parramatta Road (*remembers blue and white CNG buses at night*)
Swift

Post by Swift »

I hate the looks of the Optimus, especially the front with those slitty headlights. It looks so cheesy. That Leyland National like rear roof pod is uglier than the worst sin. I guess the Volvo engine actually sounds like an engine again instead of a dog whistle, but no better than a Scania. We may as well have full electric propulsion now.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
However, I notice because of the abundance of the B8's, the novelty of Randwicks select few Iveco Metro Optimus (and the fun of finding them) has largely worn off now in my experience/opinion because the two bus types here, engine sound aside, are extremely similar. Very few differences in the interior/exterior.

The only other difference is, I can see Randwick isn't that keen on their Optimus buses, they're barely used at all outside of weekday daytime (very incidental to see one out on the weekend, or at night time), whereas I can see Ryde (and Burwood TSA ;) ) really uses theirs as much as they can. Last night as a matter of fact, coming home from Parramatta road quite late at night, there was only new B8 Optimus and Scania K310UB CB80 on the road (plus one or two Bustechs), which is a far different scene from when STA was in charge of Parramatta Road (*remembers blue and white CNG buses at night*)
For a while earlier in the year & during 2017 you could see the Iveco Metro Optimus on weekends & off-peak. Though that changed in recent months instead your more likely to find R Volvo bendy buses out operating 7 days off the week probably due to wage budgets allowing it.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”