[Jul/Aug 2018] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
paulgersche

Re: [Jul/Aug 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by paulgersche »

Skexis wrote:
Tim Williams wrote:Honestly, the comments you blokes make about Bustech buses are, quite frankly, puerile - if you have genuine criticisms of their products, then argue your points out, in a reasonable and well constructed manner.
Ok then, how about the air con being pre-set to 22 degrees and the driver is unable to alter it? As such we'll always be too hot in summer and too cold in winter. I see that as a major design flaw that makes the drivers job just that little bit harder than it needs to be. Over to you.
I wouldn't complain about a bus arriving at my stop on a 35 degree summer day with the internal temp set at 22 - nor would I complain in winter on a 15 degree day!

Paul
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

paulgersche wrote:
I wouldn't complain about a bus arriving at my stop on a 35 degree summer day with the internal temp set at 22 - nor would I complain in winter on a 15 degree day!

Paul
Perhaps you don't have to sit in the bus all day! It should be possible to control the a/c from inside the bus. Perhaps it was deleted as an option in the specification?
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

busrider wrote:As in the windows are lower, or the seats/floor are higher?
The window line rises up more gradually and the floor is lower so there is no step for the centre door. There is a gradual slope though to ensure the internal steps up to the rear are not excessive.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

tonyp wrote:
paulgersche wrote:

Paul
Perhaps you don't have to sit in the bus all day! It should be possible to control the a/c from inside the bus. Perhaps it was deleted as an option in the specification?
The automatic temperature control is to stop drivers from setting stupid temperatures which annoy customers and put unnecessary wear and tear on equipment.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

For those who may be interested in minor details, 1904 (Tindo) now has an orange LED desto, a replacement for the green flipdot desto it had previously.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Daniel wrote:The automatic temperature control is to stop drivers from setting stupid temperatures which annoy customers and put unnecessary wear and tear on equipment.
The passenger area of a bus in summer with the air con on full and on it's lowest setting is considerably cooler that the drivers area. The driver has to sit in that bus all day. Should passenger comfort for a few stops outweigh driver comfort for a whole day? Have you ever driven a bus or are you just a deskbound keyboard warrior? If it's the former you should know better. If it's the latter then maybe try driving a bus for a year so you can experience the whole range of temperatures in the drivers seat and then come back and we'll see if you have changed your tune. Bus drivers have a crap enough job without being forced to be too hot or too cold all day.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Driven plenty of buses mate, thanks for asking. The auto button has nothing to do with crap airflow around the drivers cab - that is just poor design or lack of booster fan.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

BusTech 1906 has full temperature control for the driver to change, on a rotary dial very similar to a lot of cars. So not sure about the grizzling about fixed temperatures of 22 degrees in the discussion above.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Perhaps the one at Lonsdale, 2453, has different A/C controls?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

While there are benefits as Daniel has stated; there are disadvantages of having the control (besides an on/off switch) hidden away from the driver. The biggest I can think of relates to the air conditioners fitted to the Mercedes Benz O405's 1320-1324. These are fitted with a control with two buttons: heat and cool, pressing one deactivates the other, like the transmission selector panel. Unfortunately experience has shown that sometimes selecting heat will provide cold air and conversely, pressing cool will provide hot air. I am advised that these need to be manually switched from heat to cool mode in the airconditioning unit itself. A sudden change in the weather will either leave passengers (and the driver) sweltering or shivering and there is little that can be done about it until the bus can visit the workshops and have the AC mode switched.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

3 new Scania-Bustech buses are at Scania Wingfield. These are Scanias that were to have been built by Custom Buses.
jibb

Post by jibb »

5 withdrawn Torrens Transit MAN SL202's have been moved from Mile End to the front of Morphettville Depot-1609,1610,1611,1612,1613.
Presumably to make way for deliveries of new Scania-Bustech buses.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Changes to T bus services at stop 27 Main South Road
From first service on Saturday 1 September, T buses will no longer be able to service stop 27 Main South Road from the city as they will move into the entrance lane to the expressway prior to the stop. This change will be in place for 12 months until further notice.

Passengers will need to board and alight T buses from the previous T bus stop at stop 24A South Road from the city. Alternatively passengers can catch F buses from Stop 27 and transfer onto T bus services at Stop 40 Panalatinga Road.

Signage will be erected at the following locations advising of the changes;
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Tram services this afternoon are terminating at stop 12 Morphett Road due to a fallen tree onto overhead power lines at Glengowrie. Morphettville are providing substitute Artis between here and Moseley Square.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Buses 960, 1524 & R805 were used doing several laps. A gas bus joined the parade later (776 I think) but the line reopened shortly after.
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

Went past scania today and noticed a metro Tasmania cb80 artic sitting there does anyone have any idea why it's here bit far to come for warranty work?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit's Mile End Depot are providing Artics for the 21W Royal Sow services. In the past Light-City Buses provided Artics from Morphettville Depot.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”