Perth Transport Costs (Perthnow)

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Perth Transport Costs (Perthnow)

Post by Merc1107 »

An interesting piece discussing the rapidly-increasing cost of transport here in Perth, mostly car oriented, but public transport does rank mention (apparently we're not far off overtaking Sydney for cost in this regard): https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/transp ... b88927344z
Perthnow Article wrote:PERTH households spend almost $18,000 every year travelling around the city — with the cost jumping nearly $25 each month.

Australian Automobile Association figures show that the cost to own and run a car or catch public transport in Perth jumped 7.5 per cent in 2017-18, from $16,404 to $17,642.

The cost equates to about $340 a week or about 13.5 per cent of an average household income.

AAA chief executive Michael Bradley said transport costs across Australia were continuing to increase.

“At a time when the rising cost of living is hurting many Australians, transport costs are rising faster than the general level of inflation,” he said.

“For the second quarter in a row, transport costs rose in every city and region. Transport is a significant and unavoidable cost for households.

“Governments at all levels must consider these growing transport cost pressures when formulating policy.”

The jump in WA transport costs was largely due to petrol prices rises. In the three months to the end of June, petrol jumped $4.36 a week.

There was some good news. Car loan payments fell $97 over a full year and there were small savings in servicing and tyres and comprehensive insurance.

The report found Perth families spent $59.40 on public transport each week, $34.61 on car registration and licensing and $31.84 on servicing and tyres.

RAC general manager corporate affairs Will Golsby said the report showed that Perth transport costs had jumped $116 in the three months to the end of June.

“Perth was the cheapest in the country for comprehensive car insurance but is only 9¢ away from overtaking Sydney as the most expensive capital city for public transport,” he said.

“Despite a minor reduction in new car running expenses, transport costs have been on the rise for several years and households are continuing to pay more to register their vehicle, renew their driver’s licence and to use public transport. More work is needed to ensure WA households are not continually hit with cost increases.”

Bunbury is Australia’s most expensive regional city for transport costs at $15,495.53.

The AAA report found residents in Sydney and Melbourne spend 15.37 per cent and 15.38 per cent respectively of their wages on transport costs.
tonyp

Re: Perth Transport Costs (Perthnow)

Post by tonyp »

I find the public transport fares in Perth to be very reasonable, especially when using Smartrider to full advantage, taking account of discounts.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:I find the public transport fares in Perth to be very reasonable, especially when using Smartrider to full advantage, taking account of discounts.
As do I - even cash fares aren't all that unreasonable really, and with SmartRider, you are capped at the DayRider limit, so if you make the full 9-zone trek twice a day and fall outside the 3hr window of your fare, you won't pay more than $12.80.

Do you suppose they are making some sort of inadvertent apples to oranges comparison between the two cities? Perhaps Perthites travel farther or shorter than their counterparts in the East?
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Merc1107 wrote:
tonyp wrote:I find the public transport fares in Perth to be very reasonable, especially when using Smartrider to full advantage, taking account of discounts.
As do I - even cash fares aren't all that unreasonable really, and with SmartRider, you are capped at the DayRider limit, so if you make the full 9-zone trek twice a day and fall outside the 3hr window of your fare, you won't pay more than $12.80.

Do you suppose they are making some sort of inadvertent apples to oranges comparison between the two cities? Perhaps Perthites travel farther or shorter than their counterparts in the East?
Where Perth shows as expensive is when you try to find an equivalent to the unlimited periodical tickets such as exist in Melbourne/Victoria. The effect becomes more marked with increasing time and distance. For example a daily unlimited travel in Melbourne is $8.60 for Zones 1 & 2 (good for travel out to about 60km). A weekly is $43.00 (ie about $6/day or about half Perth's fare). A year is $1683.60 ie $4.61/day.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
simonl

Post by simonl »

That $8.60 fare in Melbourne is insanely low compared to some of their other fares. Its only twice the fare of going between two bus stops anywhere within zone 1 - which has quite a high fare of $4.30.

Fares policy in Melbourne aren't anything to envy at all.

Has there been any agro in Perth with removing periodicals, which I assume used to exist? Amazingly, some people are still whingeing in Brisbane about periodicals being removed several years later.

Where Perth does lag other states is their transitioning to an all electronic fare system is not as far advanced. They still have a high and non refundable fee for their smartcard. Being able to tap on with PayPass seems like science fiction over there, or did when I was there almost 2 years ago.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

simonl wrote:Has there been any agro in Perth with removing periodicals, which I assume used to exist? Amazingly, some people are still whingeing in Brisbane about periodicals being removed several years later.

Where Perth does lag other states is their transitioning to an all electronic fare system is not as far advanced. They still have a high and non refundable fee for their smartcard. Being able to tap on with PayPass seems like science fiction over there, or did when I was there almost 2 years ago.
There hasn't been periodicals for years! MultiRider offered 10 or 40 trips but were restricted to whichever zone you purchased for.

I don't think the fact a high non-refundable fee exists means it is not as advanced. This is obviously for the same reason that most other states have a card fee. Offering cash fares on a lower utilised and less dense system still makes sense to cater for the occasional user and visitors without having the issue of smart cards being disposed of once funds are depleted and in negative balance.

Contactless payment is coming with the new system to be introduced in the next year or two. Aside from limited uses with Opal in Sydney, I don't believe anywhere else has the capability for it yet anyway.
simonl

Post by simonl »

The fee exists for two reasons: (1) To prevent loss through negative balances (2) to offset the issuing costs.

(1) is not a reason for a non refundable fee yet only Qld allows a refund.

I think that in the interests of reducing paper ticket use issuing costs should be absorbed. Paper tickets have issuing costs too.

Interesting that contactless is coming. I didn't know that! Hopefully you'll move to cash free buses with that - or what's the point? It's been amazing how slow that has been to arrive in Sydney but then Opal use is incredibly high anyway.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Maybe my memory is getting hazy but is the fee for the Smartrider cards ($10 for standard, $5 for concession, free for pensioners and seniors) a recent change? Because when I got several in a newsagent a couple of years ago I don't remember paying a fee, only paid the value of credit on them.
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

There's just no comparison. Especially when you can be on the buses for over 4 hours, make over 5 transfers, go to the other side of the city and back to the coast, and still spend less than $10 / proably less than 5 on concession .. You'd burn 2 to 3 times the amount in fuel doing the same journey in a car.
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

For the one I would like they can be review the fees where traveling between the 2 section fare in 2 different fare zones. By the SmartRider they deducts 2 zone fare which is more expensive than 2 of 2 section fare for travelling.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”