STA Privatisation / Franchising

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
grog

Re: STA Privatisation / Franchising

Post by grog »

This is to do the the routes that they replace - I wouldn’t mind betting that they end up operating on pretty much a fixed route with variable frequency.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Simila
jake_s_258 wrote:
Some of those catchment area maps are all over the place! The Earlwood to Kyeemagh map (page 200) has very specific carve-outs, going to great lengths to include all of Kyeemagh but omit all of Banksia, Wolli Creek and parts of Bardwell Park!
Similarly can be said for Mascot to Rosebery omits the eastern side of Mascot only part of Rosebery and doesn't even include Green Square. Maybe this on demand area could replace the 305 bus route.
grog

Post by grog »

That is an interesting one - it is listed as Canada Bay to Mascot/Rosebery. Presumably picking people up in either zone, then ducking into Westconnex, and dropping off at the other end. That would make most sense post-Westconnex stage 3. How long is the contract?
swtt

Post by swtt »

grog wrote:That is an interesting one - it is listed as Canada Bay to Mascot/Rosebery. Presumably picking people up in either zone, then ducking into Westconnex, and dropping off at the other end. That would make most sense post-Westconnex stage 3. How long is the contract?
There's gotta be some Opal data to reveal current demand from travel between Concord to Mascot. Such a niche market - who would've thought?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

It is amusing to be riding in TSA buses now, and seeing the screens still running recruitment ads for State Transit bus drivers
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
jake_s_258

Post by jake_s_258 »

boronia wrote:It is amusing to be riding in TSA buses now, and seeing the screens still running recruitment ads for State Transit bus drivers
I thought the same when I saw that today
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

jake_s_258 wrote:
boronia wrote:It is amusing to be riding in TSA buses now, and seeing the screens still running recruitment ads for State Transit bus drivers
I thought the same when I saw that today
They really have taken it over as is. I'm sure they'll work on that!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Is TSA operating any 891s?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The 891 timetable is STA only.
Living in the Shire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Isn't the 891 now only Region 9 STA P,R,W or is still shared with the other STA regions ?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That is up to he STA.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

V used to contribute a couple of runs, but I think that ceased with the George St closure reorganisation.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Frosty wrote:Isn't the 891 now only Region 9 STA P,R,W or is still shared with the other STA regions ?
Other regions are still rostered.
North: V.
West: Y.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Does anybody know with Airport Line trackwork next weekend normally STA does that line rail replacement. This would be the first after R6 split in the past T,K & L would assist. Is STA now doing rail on its own or sharing with Transit Systems. Transit Systems I’ve never found in the past perform rail replacement.

Plus there would be changes for the upcoming City2Surf.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

I believe rail replacement bus contract is separate from R6 contract, and Sydney Trains may sign contract with any bus company.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I believe that the STA holds the contract for that rail work so they would use their own depots for that. If they have insufficient buses now, they can subcontract to other operators like done for other rail work but not necessarily to TSA.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

jake_s_258 wrote:
marcnut1996 wrote:TfNSW website has the R6 contract with Transit Systems (https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system ... ract-6.pdf). Matters specific to Region 6 are mostly in the back half of the document, such as depots and facilities.
Some of those catchment area maps are all over the place! The Earlwood to Kyeemagh map (page 200) has very specific carve-outs, going to great lengths to include all of Kyeemagh but omit all of Banksia, Wolli Creek and parts of Bardwell Park!
I suspect it was a mistake putting it up there as it has now disappeared.
Living in the Shire.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Stu wrote:^ Service kilometres will increase for each operator even though the distance for each of the incoming routes 400 & 420 are not as long as the current 400, this is because route 400 will be 100% Region 9 and route 420 will be 100% Region 6.

There will be a number of service changes in September for Region 6 routes, possibly 308, 418, 436, 445 & m20. There are rumours about two services being joined together to create a new 'through-route' service to further reduce the number of buses terminating in the City.
The former STA Eastern Region (9) route 357 will be returning as well.
I thought they would move away from the through-route model so I'm a bit surprised that we'll have another through-route.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Would the 308 be terminating at Redfern or Railway Sq Lee St surely Lee St has enough room.The m20 being cut back to Zetland is an option but would affect other Botany Rd services that would require maybe converting some express services to all stops or bendy buses on the 309.

Maybe the 357 would go as far Mascot Station & 425/418 connect from there. Hopefully the 357 doesn’t return to the off-peak terminating at Eastlakes.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I could see a possible through route being 442 through to either 308 or 305.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

stupid_girl wrote: I thought they would move away from the through-route model so I'm a bit surprised that we'll have another through-route.
What made you think that? I think they've served their purpose quite well.
OKO

Post by OKO »

mandonov wrote:
stupid_girl wrote: I thought they would move away from the through-route model so I'm a bit surprised that we'll have another through-route.
What made you think that? I think they've served their purpose quite well.
If the purpose was to avoid having more buses layed up in the city, then yes they have served their purpose well.

If the purpose was to have timely, reliable cross regional/city bus services then not so much.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

The former.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The 357 was pretty much useless between BJI and Kingsford/Eastlakes due to other near parallel services. Remember the 359 was canned a few years ago.

It would probably be better to terminate the 418 at Kingsford, or run the 357 to Sydenham.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Surely there is just enough layover space at Kingsford sharing with the 343 maybe during peak hour have 343 trips terminate in Rosebery or Eastlakes.
Mascot Station is a better terminating spot for customers and isn't too far either end but there is no layover room.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”