Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Citybus

Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Post by Citybus »

Having driven between Sydney and Canberra so many times, I thought I would let someone else do the driving for once. For a change of scenery, I'm travelling on the Xplorer in the morning. In the late afternoon, I'm tossing whether to travel on Greyhound or Murrays.

Prices are the same ($38 per adult one way) Murrays certainly does have the advantage of an hourly service whereas Greyhound has only 2 or 3 in the afternoon and evening. Both coach companies have pretty decent coaches, with leather seats and USB charging ports. Greyhound has the wifi (not that I would use it anyway) whereas Murrays doesn't.

What's your opinion of the 2 companies on this route?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Greyhound Vs Murrays - Canberra To Sydney

Post by boronia »

Not really much difference between them.

Murrays' popularity must count for something.

Would come down to your preference for an Irizar or BCI.

After seeing a Canberra bound Irizar today with advertising wrap over the windows, I would not want to spend 3-1/2 hours trying to see out through that. Bad on enough on route buses.
DSC02583 (Small).jpeg
DSC02583 (Small).jpeg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 7960 times
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

Thanks Boronia. What's the difference between Irizar and BCI, apart from being 2 different coach manufacturers?
boronia

Post by boronia »

The Irizar is on a Volvo chassis and probably has manual transmission, the BCI would have a Cummins/Allison driveline.

Unless you have a fetish for engine/gearbox sounds, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I can't comment on ride experience, but I note that Murrays have 51 seats on a 2 axle chassis, Greyhound offers 50 seats on 3 axles. Look for comments on their FB page.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote:
After seeing a Canberra bound Irizar today with advertising wrap over the windows, I would not want to spend 3-1/2 hours trying to see out through that. Bad on enough on route buses.
DSC02583 (Small).jpeg
Wow, that takes a special kind of stupid, for a long-distance bus. I think that on its own tips the scale towards Murrays. As long as Murrays don't decide that it's a great idea too. Or NSW Trains for that matter. The level of disdain for customers exemplified by this across the industry nowadays is just breathtaking.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Actually Murrays have done this in the past, but only for self promotion or specific clients.
DSCN1210 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1210 (Small).jpeg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It's like a biblical plague.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

If the greyhound bus is detouring to Canberra from a Melboure-Sydney service, you have some added risk of the bus being late.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

What's the cheapest way to Canberra day return? /murrays Greyhound or rail?
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

Stonesourscotty wrote:What's the cheapest way to Canberra day return? /murrays Greyhound or rail?
Rail. $28 each way compared to $36 by coach. But it's an hour longer in duration than the coach.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

I'll see if that can work with the raiders game thanks Citybus
Glen

Post by Glen »

My impression is that Greyhound's seats are more comfortable. Others may have different thoughts.
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

How full are the coaches? I depart Canberra at 3pm this Saturday.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I couldn't predict for that particular service, but I would say that a departure at that time would normally have light loadings.

It is too early for day trippers returning, and too late for locals planning a night out in Sydney.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

boronia wrote:I couldn't predict for that particular service, but I would say that a departure at that time would normally have light loadings.

It is too early for day trippers returning, and too late for locals planning a night out in Sydney.
What about the Xplorer? Would you know how busy it usually is on the Saturday morning service?
boronia

Post by boronia »

I can't say I've seen a weekend departure. But I often see the weekday AM service out of Sydney, and loadings are light. Don't think I've ever seen pax in the rear car, and the other two would be struggling to get 50%.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

boronia wrote:I can't say I've seen a weekend departure. But I often see the weekday AM service out of Sydney, and loadings are light. Don't think I've ever seen pax in the rear car, and the other two would be struggling to get 50%.
And at Campbelltown?
boronia

Post by boronia »

I was chatting to one of the staff at central recently, and mentioned the empty carriage. He told me it was for the people who got on at Strathfield :lol:
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Wait a minute I thought all southbound NSW Trainlink services ran via East Hills line and first stop was Campbelltown.
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

Frosty wrote:Wait a minute I thought all southbound NSW Trainlink services ran via East Hills line and first stop was Campbelltown.
Hence the empty carriage Frosty. Hehehehe!!!!!
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

boronia wrote:I was chatting to one of the staff at central recently, and mentioned the empty carriage. He told me it was for the people who got on at Strathfield :lol:
Good one Boronia... Had me thinking for a minute!!!!!
boronia

Post by boronia »

Sad part was, I think he was serious. So much for knowledgeable staff.

But perhaps Campbelltown, and subsequent passengers are allocated to this carriage.

Perhaps Citybus could observe this when he travels
@ The Museum of Fire.
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

boronia wrote:Sad part was, I think he was serious. So much for knowledgeable staff.

But perhaps Campbelltown, and subsequent passengers are allocated to this carriage.

Perhaps Citybus could observe this when he travels
Will do. I'm getting on at Central and have been allocated a seat in car B. Car A is the buffet car and 1st class. Cars A, B and C will go to Canberra while Cars D and E will go to Griffith. We split the cars in Goulburn.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Checking the regional web page, it was amusing to see one of the options TrainLink offers is a 10+hr option - train to Cootamunra, 4 hr break, then bus back to Canberra.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

Great day yesterday. Here are my observations of the Xplorer and the Murrays coach.

Xplorer
* Lots of legroom in economy class, on par with premium economy on international flights and business class on domestic flights. Seat was comfortable too.
* Exterior of the carriage was very dirty. I could barely see out of them.
* Xplorer was quiet but squeaks would be heard. Wouldn't like to be travelling overnight in it (lucky there are no overnight Xplorer services).
* Carriage was probably 30% full. First class was about half full, while the carriage behind my one was empty.
* Toilet was surprisingly clean and rather spacious.
* No USB connection to charge my phone and no wi-fi. Mobile reception drop outs experienced in the more remote areas, but generally available.
* Departed Central right on time. Had to slow down to avoid stray cows and sheep, but still managed to arrive in Canberra only a few minutes late. For a 4 hour trip, that's pretty good I say.
* Lack of transport available at Canberra station in Kingston. Only 2 taxis were waiting to pick up passengers, but no government buses.

Murrays
* Fake leather seats and certainly a lot less legroom than the Xplorer. Coach looked new and was clean inside and out. Odometer showed just over 600,000kms. Inability to move about the coach meant a slight sore butt towards the end of the trip. I wouldn't like to do a longer trip by coach.
* 2 coaches departed at the same time, but the one I was in was just under half full, with 25 out of the 58 seats taken. The passengers all had 2 seats to themselves.
* Departed Jolimont Centre 10 minutes early and arrived at Sydney International Airport and Central early too. Very comfortable journey about 40 minutes faster than the Xplorer, even with the stop at the airport. The coach was rather quiet.
* USB connection available to charge my phone, but no wi-fi. Mobile reception was available throughout the journey with no dropouts.

Overall, I think the Xplorer wins on this occasion if time is not important. It was also $10 cheaper than the coach, but Murray wins in terms of the condition of the coach, the frequency of service, the location of departure point in Canberra, and the available of the USB connectivity. If I don't have to drive to Canberra, I would have no hesitation in choosing the Xplorer and coach again.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”