Double Decker Buses Currently Operating In Australia

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Re: Double Decker Buses Currently Operating In Australia

Post by OLYMPIAN »

Tim Williams wrote:TfNSW's and may be CDC's preference for CDI's might might be due to the higher seating + standing capacity of the CDI's (within allowable weights) due to the twin steer layout, compared to the normal 3 axle DD's. I still find them a wonderfully innovative design that came up an "outside of the box" layout that maximize capacity within our restrictive axle weights. I would be interested to know if CDI's are the only DD's on the "Panel". Now I no longer have Murtons, I naturally have no TfNSW access.

The two latest CDI's for Skybus, nos. 150 and 151 are quoted as H61/17DW compared to all their others at H53/10DW - I presume they must longer buses - 12.8 or 13mtrs perhaps??
Tim, these two CDI are for Avalon Airport and only have 1 stair fitted. This is why it have 61 seats on upper deck.
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks for that. It is interesting that the more recent of Hong Kong's deckers seat 59 upstairs and the legroom is tight, noticeably so at the front - but they are 12mtrs vs. the CDI's at 12.3Mtrs. Whereas Singapore has remained at 55 upstairs.
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

In regards to axle weight, twin steer and single steer are 22t max GVM when the B line order announced on 16 Sep 16
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Hi Tim.

The CDi you have listed in NSW for Gray Line tours is actually owned and operated by Australia Wide Coaches.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Hi Scott,

I will correct that entry and re-post the listing once there are some changes - some additions hopefully!
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Forest have a bunch of MAN/ Gemilangs on order (16?) so they will probably be the next additions.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

IMGDD Jul18.jpg
IMGDD Jul18.jpg (41.67 KiB) Viewed 12863 times
Here is the updated list - I would appreciate it if changes or additions could be advised - thanks!!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

There is an ex London RML running around Sydney on TV plates doing charter work. Do you classify this as "night charter/party"?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Tim Williams wrote:TfNSW's and may be CDC's preference for CDI's might might be due to the higher seating + standing capacity of the CDI's (within allowable weights) due to the twin steer layout, compared to the normal 3 axle DD's. I still find them a wonderfully innovative design that came up an "outside of the box" layout that maximize capacity within our restrictive axle weights. I would be interested to know if CDI's are the only DD's on the "Panel". Now I no longer have Murtons, I naturally have no TfNSW access.

The two latest CDI's for Skybus, nos. 150 and 151 are quoted as H61/17DW compared to all their others at H53/10DW - I presume they must longer buses - 12.8 or 13mtrs perhaps??
Part of this success would be due to the fact that they were the only weight compliant vehicles available at the time. Changes to the rules may have opened up the market to others.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

When I initially compiled the list, I did it purely for my own interest, to see how many DD's there are now operating (or soon to be operating) route services in this country, hence there is not much detail around the chassis types and body specs.

Do remember that it was only a few years ago that a s/hand Denning DD in full TransPerth livery was the only DD operating a metro/urban type route service, until the railway line to Mandurah (I think) was built.

I then decided to add the city sightseeing and airport buses, but I deliberately excluded those night party deckers, because they do nothing for the image of DD's and buses in general, being often full of half-drunk young people and also they mostly seem to be in a run down condition, just seeing their last operational days out (for a few bucks!).

I also excluded the older Denning, Volgren, Setra and MAN low height coach deckers, as they are scattered all over the place, since their initial sales to Deluxe, Grehound, Kirklands and others - so reiterating and adding to the first comment above, this list was more to look at the return of the urban decker in Australia, than anything else.

Small numbers of modern deckers have been built for both charter/day tours and school work and perhaps these should be added to the list - the ones that I am aware of are:
1. 4 x Denning Manufacturing - Thompsons, Brisbane
2. 1 x Denning Manufacturing - Port Stephens Coaches NSW
3. 1 x Denning Manufacturing - East Coast operator ????
4. 1 x MCA (Motorcoach) - Drivers Melbourne (in Grayline livery)

I am aware of the RML - but is it a full time local charter or more of a preserved bus, like the Sydney Museum + ex Hong Kong buses??

Thanks for your interest in this.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Tim, it is an excellent compilation. I agree with your reasoning that it should focus on "modern" vehicles, rather than recycled oldies.

The RML does come under the latter group. It appears to be a preservation project that is registered and accredited for unrestricted charter use, but probably only used for its novelty value. There was an RTL here in similar circumstances a few years ago, but it has been neglected by the owners and is now only available for locatable static hire.
@ The Museum of Fire.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

G'day Tim.Rothery's Coaches,Rockhampton have apparently just take delivery of a Denning Manufacturing Decker.
It would appear to be a school/charter coach.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

It was registered 10/5/18 as "DENNING".
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks for the feedback and information. For completeness, keeping the theme of new DD's + the sightseeing fleets, I will add the MCA + the new Dennings to the list, hopefully today.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

I then decided to add the city sightseeing and airport buses, but I deliberately excluded those night party deckers, because they do nothing for the image of DD's and buses in general, being often full of half-drunk young people and also they mostly seem to be in a run down condition, just seeing their last operational days out (for a few bucks!).
Possibly a tad harsh - in Melbourne at least the Dee Decker double deckers were used for daytime charters to kindergartens and the like. Here is a picture I took after my daughter's kinder tour in 2011:
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

As I said, I am really trying to show the progress of new urban double deckers and I do appreciate that a lot of ex UK DD's were imported into this country, some of which are still roadworthy - I actually got involved with one myself, that was very successful!!
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Tim Williams wrote:...Do remember that it was only a few years ago that a s/hand Denning DD in full TransPerth livery was the only DD operating a metro/urban type route service, until the railway line to Mandurah (I think) was built...
Actually, 2 DDs, TP1137 dates from 1989 ex-APT Victoria, and was drafted into the Transperth fleet in 1998, TP1138 dates from 1991, ex-AAT Kings. These were operated out of Southern Coast's (Veolia/Transdev) Mandurah Depot and mainly operated the Route 107 Limited Stops between Perth-Mandurah and the 867 when the 107 was renumbered. These were sold off when the Mandurah Line opened on 23 December 2007. Both initially went to South West Coach Lines (Veolia), then 1137 went to ATG Downunder for their Uluru tour service in 2016. As for 1138, it is reportedly sitting in Stan Biega Bus and Coach Sales in Kenthurst NSW.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

krustyklo wrote:
Possibly a tad harsh - in Melbourne at least the Dee Decker double deckers were used for daytime charters to kindergartens and the like. Here is a picture I took after my daughter's kinder tour in 2011:
I think you should look up a couple of articles on the Net regarding Dee Decker Tours before suggesting I am being a tad harsh!!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 12550 times
List updated again, with new Denning Manufacturing and MCA DD Coaches. On Denning Manufacturing's website - Product information, details are provided for two double deck types:
1. Coach - (as per Thompson's) and they quote passenger capacity including standees of 110 and an overall height of 4.3mtrs (the Thompson's ones look lower than that, to me)
2. Urban - Full length seating on both decks, seating capacity of up to 100 passengers (axle weight ok???) and a height of 4.4mtrs - I presume none have been ordered or built.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

I think you should look up a couple of articles on the Net regarding Dee Decker Tours before suggesting I am being a tad harsh!!
With respect, I was commenting on your comments about older double decker buses being "night party deckers, because they do nothing for the image of DD's and buses in general, being often full of half-drunk young people and also they mostly seem to be in a run down condition, just seeing their last operational days out (for a few bucks!)." being a tad harsh given they have other uses, before providing such an example. I am familiar with DeeDecker's current situation.

I think if this is the level of conversation about this topic, then all I can do is wish you luck in keeping your list of modern deckers up to date.
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Hi Drivers also have a Denning Manufacturing Decker in Gray Line livery as well

Venturatiger
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks for this, venturatiger - I will add to the list, but I will wait for some more additions before displaying on the site again.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

the term "operating" only applies to commercial, right? :wink:
wills.jpg
wills.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 12336 times
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I have listed out modern, operating DD's and I have intentionally excluded old deckers which may still be operating - motor homes and party deckers are definitely off the list!

The list of New Zealand DD's, which has been posted today, is also showing only modern/new DD's + those on order and that is great.

Both the NZ and Oz lists do show a continual growth in the use of urban deckers and both countries started from zero a relatively few years ago.
OLYMPIAN

Post by OLYMPIAN »

There is also a very unique Hino Grandview DD imported into Australia as a mobile and registered in South Australia on heavy vehicle plate

Only 12 Hino DD ever built!

Return to “General Transport Discussion”