Bustech v CB 80

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Bustech v CB 80

Post by tonyp »

Megumi wrote: So, do you think we have any chance to introduce some German buses like Merceds-Benz Citaro to Australia?
I think that Mercedes is making feelers, with that Citaro demonstrator in Brisbane and preparing a design for Canberra. However, it stil won't get a low-floor back door behind the rear axle unless the drive-train at the back is switched over from the near side (which is the offside in LHD Europe) to the offside. With the current absence of demand for a bus with a back door behind the rear axle in the international RHD market, it wouldn't be an economic proposition for them.

MAN is a German bus that's already here, but nobody has yet ordered the low-floor chassis version for a single-decker bus. Only Scania and Iveco have secured any such local orders. But once again, their drive-trains don't allow for a door behind the rear axle because they're configured for LHD.

Edit:
It looks like Volvo might also be making feelers on the RHD market if this image on Latrobe Valley Bus line's website is anything to go by:

Volgren is currently building some of these hybrids for Latrobe Valley but I don't know what their design format is yet. Contrary to its dominance in Australia (but with low-entry buses only), Volvo is a small player in the fully low-floor bus market in Europe.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

That image is a flipped LHD photo, so don't get too enthusiastic about that rear door !!
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote:That image is a flipped LHD photo, so don't get too enthusiastic about that rear door !!
I guess your better-trained eye would have detected some detail like the Volvo logo being the wrong way around! :lol:

Nevertheless Volvo does supply such chassis in Europe for LHD. The first of these buses is currently in an early stage of construction at Volgren, so we're yet to see what emerges. Being Latrobe Valley it'll probably be single door, but the floor will be the interesting point.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It's an ugly version of the Citaro, whichever way you flip it.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

tonyp wrote:
Megumi wrote: So, do you think we have any chance to introduce some German buses like Merceds-Benz Citaro to Australia?
I think that Mercedes is making feelers, with that Citaro demonstrator in Brisbane and preparing a design for Canberra. However, it stil won't get a low-floor back door behind the rear axle unless the drive-train at the back is switched over from the near side (which is the offside in LHD Europe) to the offside. With the current absence of demand for a bus with a back door behind the rear axle in the international RHD market, it wouldn't be an economic proposition for them.

MAN is a German bus that's already here, but nobody has yet ordered the low-floor chassis version for a single-decker bus. Only Scania and Iveco have secured any such local orders. But once again, their drive-trains don't allow for a door behind the rear axle because they're configured for LHD.

Edit:
It looks like Volvo might also be making feelers on the RHD market if this image on Latrobe Valley Bus line's website is anything to go by:

Volgren is currently building some of these hybrids for Latrobe Valley but I don't know what their design format is yet. Contrary to its dominance in Australia (but with low-entry buses only), Volvo is a small player in the fully low-floor bus market in Europe.
The Volgren is building a group of Scania Low-floor bus for Tokyo.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

I had an experience trip with MAN 19.320 Euro6 in CUSTOM body. The operator was the Mt. Gravatt bus service. The MAN bus is really nice because of its amazing quiet and smooth. And the interior decoration quality of CUSTOM was also good.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Busways CB80 MAN 18.320s are way better than their Bustech versions. They ride well, sound nicer, look nicer inside and the Voith has better shift points.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

I Agree completely Swift although the Mercedes have a better ride than the Man's
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Swift wrote:Busways CB80 MAN 18.320s are way better than their Bustech versions. They ride well, sound nicer, look nicer inside and the Voith has better shift points.
I disagree with you about the smooth of Voith because I think ZF Ecolife has better shift experience. The first time I took a bus with Ecolife was in 2015 in Xiamen BRT and that was impressive. Compare to old model of ZF or Allison, Voith is better obviously but Voith is worse than Ecolife.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The MAN 18.310s are awful. They jerk like a mechanical bull at lower speeds. The Voith equipped 18.320s walk all over them and go like rockets.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote:The MAN 18.310s are awful. They jerk like a mechanical bull at lower speeds. The Voith equipped 18.320s walk all over them and go like rockets.
Busabout has 7 Bustech VST euro 6 MAN 19.320s witch are more powerful then both the 23 MAN 18.310 Bustech VST 6 MAN 18.320 Bustech VST and 4 MAN 18.320 Custom CB80 that got transferred to Busabout from Busways and the 21 MAN 18.320 Bustech VST that Busabout received as part of the region 15 contract
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Are thee any plans for a Bustech VST Mk5 ?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

There has never been a Mark No for Bustech VST's. One contributor here who does not appear to be around any more gave them Mark numbers but they are unofficial.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:
Swift wrote:The MAN 18.310s are awful. They jerk like a mechanical bull at lower speeds. The Voith equipped 18.320s walk all over them and go like rockets.
Busabout has 7 Bustech VST euro 6 MAN 19.320s witch are more powerful then both the 23 MAN 18.310 Bustech VST 6 MAN 18.320 Bustech VST and 4 MAN 18.320 Custom CB80 ...
MAN have come a long way since the days of their rugged and reliable, but super slow staple, the SL200 with Renk transmission.
Scania UB

Post by Scania UB »

To be honest in my opinion Bustechs are better this isn't bias because I've been on CB80 and Bustechs hundreds of time and Bustech just feel more premium compared to the cheap plastic on the CB80s
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

In my opinion it really depends on the operator. STAs Bustechs are junk, their CB80s are nice though.

Forrest coaches has nice Bustechs, they’re comfortable and have good aircon, but their CB80s are really drab for some reason....they’re all the same to me. Stiff upright seats, lack of legroom, And too many times this winter, freezing cold aircon switched on
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Personally, I prefer the Bustech VST, as I often like the sound when it is normally with a Scania chassis with STA. The VST also in my opinion looks quite good inside and out.
Although, I have caught many more CB80s the last few years and find them to also sound good with their chassis combos and seem to have a very classic design inside and out.
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”