The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
coach driver 1981

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by coach driver 1981 »

jibb wrote:
mmosca447 wrote:Hey everyone, tomorrow morning I'll be catching a couple of buses. A 720 at around 8 and a C1 to Elizabeth at quarter past nine. What kind of buses could I expect at this time if there's any kind of way of guessing the bus type at that specific time? Thanks
The C1 at that time of the day is likely to be a Scania K230 rigid
Generally early O-Bahn trips on a normal Sunday mornings are rigids.
your 720 will most probably be a cb80 2500 numbered bus or a Man 18.280 2700 number bus
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I just watched two videos on Youtube which depict a modern Volvo and a Mercedes O500LE with a Volgren body. They literally sounded like leaking water in a tap. Is it possible that Adelaide (in the tiniest way possible) sort of got lucky with the vehicles ordered to replace at least some of the SL202s?

Don't get me wrong, most CB80s are dull as, but I just couldn't believe what I was listening to on Youtube even with volume set to high.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Had dinner at a friends house at Bellevue Heights last night. The best way for me to get back into town was the 600S to Bedford Park, walk down to South Rd and 720H to the city. No problems.

The 9:55pm 600S from Blackwood then runs special from Bedford Park to Stop 18 Goodwood Rd to become the 10:18pm G10 into the city.

In my opinion, it should run as a G30 into the city. Public transport up there that time of night is limited to the train.

Do others think that’s a good idea? Are there any other examples of short runnings then continuing down the road a bit as a service to the city?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

bigrobbo wrote:Had dinner at a friends house at Bellevue Heights last night. The best way for me to get back into town was the 600S to Bedford Park, walk down to South Rd and 720H to the city. No problems.

The 9:55pm 600S from Blackwood then runs special from Bedford Park to Stop 18 Goodwood Rd to become the 10:18pm G10 into the city.

In my opinion, it should run as a G30 into the city. Public transport up there that time of night is limited to the train.

Do others think that’s a good idea? Are there any other examples of short runnings then continuing down the road a bit as a service to the city?

Two examples that come to mind are the 176G which stops along Gorge Road only to turn around and go back to Paradise to start it's next run - would make way more sense to just do the old 177 continuing straight along Newton/Darley Road to Paradise.

The other is (especially weekends) if a 542/543/545 (or any other numbers I've missed) terminate at TTP only to then form a C1 to the City. Would be just as easy to run as a 542/543/545 into the City as they used to. Maybe this will change with the new schedules?

I'm sure there are several more examples out there!
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

bigrobbo wrote:Had dinner at a friends house at Bellevue Heights last night. The best way for me to get back into town was the 600S to Bedford Park, walk down to South Rd and 720H to the city. No problems.

it might be simply something to do with kilometres, do not in service runs count as kilometres ?

Also if I recall correctly there is a train in the evening that departs Gawler Central , stops at Gawler Oval, Gawler then waits 5-10 minutes then departs Gawler
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
flaneur

Post by flaneur »

re sections
there was a time when Trans Adelaide had a trial for zones, the zone 3 sign on Nurlutta Station had been there well after the trial had been scrapped
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Eurostar wrote:
Also if I recall correctly there is a train in the evening that departs Gawler Central , stops at Gawler Oval, Gawler then waits 5-10 minutes then departs Gawler
Correct. This is the 6:12 inbound service which uses the single line section past Gawler that leaves earlier than desirable due to another train being scheduled to use that section not long after. It is scheduled to depart Gawler at 6:29, with the next service being at 6:59. Shouldn't be too hard to make sense of.

It was one of the last services that was operated by the Jumbos in 2015. It formed the 5:20 express service beforehand. No idea if it did anything before that, as a train driver can switch consists between runs obviously to make up the hours.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

TA3001 wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
Correct. This is the 6:12 inbound service which uses the single line section past Gawler that leaves earlier than desirable due to another train being scheduled to use that section not long after. It is scheduled to depart Gawler at 6:29, with the next service being at 6:59. Shouldn't be too hard to make sense of.

It was one of the last services that was operated by the Jumbos in 2015. It formed the 5:20 express service beforehand. No idea if it did anything before that, as a train driver can switch consists between runs obviously to make up the hours.
Also so its meets the Hi Frequency Stations rule
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

flaneur wrote:re sections
there was a time when Trans Adelaide had a trial for zones, the zone 3 sign on Nurlutta Station had been there well after the trial had been scrapped
In approximately 1980; not that long after the State Transport Authority was formed, ticketing was simplified and unified by the introduction of a time based; zonal fare system across bus, tram and train services. Adelaide was split into three zones and three ticket bands became available for purchase: two sections; two zones or three zones. In the early 1990's, the zones were abolished to create the time based system we are familiar with today.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Route 506 wrote:Two examples that come to mind are the 176G which stops along Gorge Road only to turn around and go back to Paradise to start it's next run - would make way more sense to just do the old 177 continuing straight along Newton/Darley Road to Paradise.

The other is (especially weekends) if a 542/543/545 (or any other numbers I've missed) terminate at TTP only to then form a C1 to the City. Would be just as easy to run as a 542/543/545 into the City as they used to. Maybe this will change with the new schedules?

I'm sure there are several more examples out there!
It sometimes depends whether it's school term, school holidays, special event days or any other time that shifts or rosters change. Certain trips can follow onto different trips on different days.
softgrow

Post by softgrow »

The Phonj wrote:
flaneur wrote:re sections
In approximately 1980; not that long after the State Transport Authority was formed, ticketing was simplified and unified by the introduction of a time based; zonal fare system across bus, tram and train services. Adelaide was split into three zones and three ticket bands became available for purchase: two sections; two zones or three zones. In the early 1990's, the zones were abolished to create the time based system we are familiar with today.
My recollection is that the three zones were reduced to two as a social justice measure to benefit the residents of outer suburbs by the then Transport Minister Diana Laidlaw.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

Was on a 265 this afternoon and noticed a couple of hills Volgren Scanias at Brighton Beach running NIS. A bit weird to see these buses here in my opinion. Any ideas why this could be?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Hills buses were doing charters to Pacific Games at Marion Aquatic Centre.Some were laying over on Sturt Road outside Marion Centre,those at Brighton were probably filling in time before their pickups!
mmosca447

Post by mmosca447 »

Is anyone thinking of heading to the O-Bahn tunnel opening thing going on at Rymill Park tomorrow? Apparently, members of the public will be able to walk through the tunnel for the first time.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I think quite a few people from this forum will be attending the event, I might be there myself, haven't decided yet.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Just wondering, are all 72_ (South Rd) services officially starting from stop B1 just south of North Tce, now that A1 seems to be closed?

If this is the case, why haven't the timetables been updated to reflect this?
mmosca447

Post by mmosca447 »

TA3001 wrote:Just wondering, are all 72_ (South Rd) services officially starting from stop B1 just south of North Tce, now that A1 seems to be closed?

From my observation, 72_ buses still sit where A1 was without picking up any pax, then they proceed to B1 and start their journey as normal. This may not always be the case though
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

TA3001 wrote:Just wondering, are all 72_ (South Rd) services officially starting from stop B1 just south of North Tce, now that A1 seems to be closed? If this is the case, why haven't the timetables been updated to reflect this?
Yes. Timetables have not been updated as it's only a temporary thing until the tramline works in KWR are finished (or at least that's what we've been told) whereupon A1 will come back into regular service. Stop AA near Victoria Drive has been permanently closed although some drivers still drop off at it.
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

mmosca447 wrote:
TA3001 wrote:Just wondering, are all 72_ (South Rd) services officially starting from stop B1 just south of North Tce, now that A1 seems to be closed?

From my observation, 72_ buses still sit where A1 was without picking up any pax, then they proceed to B1 and start their journey as normal. This may not always be the case though
I've observed the same. Buses will now sometimes turn right onto King William Road from North Terrace coming from the west, so you won't find every 719-723 bus laying over.at Stop A1 in the peak hours.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Was Morialta Road in Smithfield meant to be a main road, and was it meant to connect with road on other side of army depot land.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

With the development of Live West at West Lakes, should the B10 be rerouted down Brebner Drive? Gives alternate bus access to these residents.

TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

In regards to the comment above, I also think that the current H30 should be rerouted along Military Rd with it running at least hourly, with Sportsman's Dr served hourly. It would provide some alternative transport to those who reside adjacent to Military Rd between Frederick Rd and West Lakes Boulevard.

Having no service along there at all after hours is disgraceful, and I would hate to be living on the western side of Military Rd in this vicinity without a car. Few passengers use the current B12 in this portion, and it wouldn't be completely unrelated to the fact that some may possibly be unaware of any existing PT options along this section of Rd.

The cost would be minimal, and the 288s could also run at night hourly to serve Tapleys Hill Rd between Trimmer Parade and Grange Rd in lieu of 287s running half hourly. It would sort of account for the aforementioned reduction of H30 services along Sportsman's Dr.
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

TA3001 wrote:In regards to the comment above, I also think that the current H30 should be rerouted along Military Rd with it running at least hourly, with Sportsman's Dr served hourly. It would provide some alternative transport to those who reside adjacent to Military Rd between Frederick Rd and West Lakes Boulevard.

Having no service along there at all after hours is disgraceful, and I would hate to be living on the western side of Military Rd in this vicinity without a car. Few passengers use the current B12 in this portion, and it wouldn't be completely unrelated to the fact that some may possibly be unaware of any existing PT options along this section of Rd.

The cost would be minimal, and the 288s could also run at night hourly to serve Tapleys Hill Rd between Trimmer Parade and Grange Rd in lieu of 287s running half hourly. It would sort of account for the aforementioned reduction of H30 services along Sportsman's Dr.
Should Henley Beach, Fulham Gardens and Fulham residents (stop 26 to 287 Terminus) have reduced services to account for a low population area receiving hourly services where there are no more than several services a day M-F (B12)? Why does the 376 not run 7 days a week to service those residents - couldnt the 155 be 'extended' to cover delfin island with a few services at night and on weekends?

Perhaps if the Grange train line had a higher patronage (particularly seaton park, east grange, grange) then there wouldnt be plans to replace that service for light rail in the longer term planning.

If Grange was a busier route, there would be feeder bus services at night -suggestion of an expanded old '330' service from west lakes via grange, semaphore and port adelaide 'feeder or loop service' could instead provide suitable connections to quick train services to the city in about the same time as a road service - granted that might be the new port dock station rather than the trek up to the viaduct.

Just can't see the demand for the 288 service beyond shopping hours. Perhaps the 117/115 route could be future rerouted via Brebner drive instead of B10.. less services given it only serves a small number of residents (one side of the road).
The judge and jury

Post by The judge and jury »

Ok here are a couple of questions I've been wondering what the answer is to for awhile.

Anyone know why the express services on the gawler line run so slow? Are there speed restrictions or they run up the back of a stopper in front due to bad timetabling?

Seems to have been that way since they did the tracks up get ready for electrification.

Any reason trains seem to sit idle for a minute or two at Elizabeth? Same reason as above and have drivers been instructed to do so not that that matters?
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

The judge and jury wrote:Ok here are a couple of questions I've been wondering what the answer is to for awhile.

Anyone know why the express services on the gawler line run so slow? Are there speed restrictions or they run up the back of a stopper in front due to bad timetabling?

Seems to have been that way since they did the tracks up get ready for electrification.

Any reason trains seem to sit idle for a minute or two at Elizabeth? Same reason as above and have drivers been instructed to do so not that that matters?
Might be better posting these questions in the Railpage forum

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”