Nightride changes from March 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Nightride changes from March 2018

Post by Fleet Lists »

Thanks - the same applies to N81 and in the case of N20 there are two such pages

https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /n20/71N20 for the old route where the timetable does not yet show a finishing date, and
https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /n20/24N20 for the new route where like N81 and N91 no timetable is available yet.

Implementation date may have been deferred.
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Both routes N90 & N91 will operate out of Y-Depot.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

I've noticed for the n20 if you change the date of the route map to after 2nd of March it simply states Stops information not available & This route does not operate on 02 Mar (Fri).
aussieboy wrote:Now that Nightride buses are doing more than just train replacement, is it time to produce a proper night network map, bringing in all the other 24 hour bus services? Makes no sense that you can catch a 3xx or 1xx to get to Sydney's nice suburbs at 4am, but you have to catch an Nxx to go anywhere else.
Well it does kind of make sense the night bus numbering scheme Nxx denotes a train replacement and for example 3xx or 1xx routes are regular routes that run during the night or aren't rail substitutes. Though one quirk that technically doesn't make the 301 24 hour bus on Friday & Saturday nights outbound there is nearly a 2h 30min gap between services where instead there are 303 trips.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Frosty wrote:I've noticed for the n20 if you change the date of the route map to after 2nd of March it simply states Stops information not available & This route does not operate on 02 Mar (Fri).
That is the OLD route N20 and NOT the new route N20 which have different links because of the different destinations.
Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Stu wrote:Both routes N90 & N91 will operate out of Y-Depot.
This is confirmed?

Personally if you ask me, this board may scratch their heads when they read I'm actually sad N90 is losing (Transdev) Bustechs, but the reality is, Transdev's Volvo B7 Bustech is a fine product in many ways. It's really what STA's should've been all along.

To hear that N90 in the new contract will be operated from an STA Bustech-free depot, Ryde, that would be quite relieving to hear. Especially if we get the same level of variety on the N90/N91 as on the 525 overnight (Volvo B7 CB80 / CB60 EvoII / Volgren B12BLE / occasionally a Citaro - and thats already more variety than your average NightRide.)
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

A NightRide question I haven't had to try to answer in a while, so not sure if the "old answer" still applies.

In the past, I seem to recall reading that NightRide buses were able to stop at bus stops between the designated points with words similar to "where safe to do so" (eg. an actual bus stop).
Is that still the case now, or will the NightRide bus only stop at the designated points?

Something tells me it's the latter, given there's a pick-up/set-down only point for North Ryde Station on the N91... and while I'm at it, why a pick-up only for services from Macquarie Uni/set-down towards Macquarie Uni?
I didn't think the 545 ran that late now!
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

No, it is a rail replacement service so only stops at designated stops.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

N90.
Hornsby Stn to Town Hall: 23:40, 00:40, 01:40, 02:40, 03:40.
Town Hall to Hornsby Stn: 01:35, 02:35, 03:35, 04:35.

N91.
Macquarie Centre to Bondi Jct. Interchange to Macquarie Centre (via Town Hall): 01:05, 02:05, 03:05, 04:05.
Bondi Jct. Interchange to Macquarie Centre (via Town Hall): 02:35, 03:35, 04:35.
Town Hall to Macquarie Centre: 02:00.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

re N90 https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /n90/71N90 no more Th-Sa short workings from Town Hall to Gordon.

There are now new Nightride timetables on Transport Info from 1st March on all routes except N100. N71 will now operate daily but some days to Schofield only.
Living in the Shire.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Fleet Lists wrote:re N90 https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /n90/71N90 no more Th-Sa short workings from Town Hall to Gordon.

There are now new Nightride timetables on Transport Info from 1st March on all routes except N100. N71 will now operate daily but some days to Schofield only.
Is route N100 really still needed after the N91 begins. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue it without warning.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Fleet Lists wrote:re N90 https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /n90/71N90 no more Th-Sa short workings from Town Hall to Gordon.

Daaaamnit the short workings were the best thing ever. Sure N91 is here but that starts at Bondi so it’ll already be full by the time it gets to Town Hall. Also notice how they wound back the start time.

N90 currently starts from town hall from 12:30. The short workings, 12. In the new schedule it’s 1:30, taking away a bit of choice if T1 is down/delayed.

It makes sense I guess though. T1 towards North Shore is still running at that time. They may as well be ghost buses.

And finally, to all the kiddies it concerns - look at the new timetable and Great Northern Hotel is still not a stop between Artarmon and Chatswood. Stop asking to be dropped off there and hold up everyone else or just Uber it.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Looking at the PDF timetable for the N71 it’s very badly laid out. And very confusing to read.

The simplest way to show the short working Monday-Thursday mornings is to show the full run to Richmond but have a note next to the times from Riverstone to Richmond saying “Service operates Friday Morning Only”

This is what happens when your centralize timetable printing. Busways and CDC used to have the best and clearest timetables. It’s a shame they don’t anymore.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

gilberations wrote:Looking at the PDF timetable for the N71 it’s very badly laid out. And very confusing to read.
I have had feedback from Transport for NSW that they re addressing that issue which also applies to a number of other timetables.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

gilberations wrote: This is what happens when your centralize timetable printing. Busways and CDC used to have the best and clearest timetables. It’s a shame they don’t anymore.
I agree with CDC but Busways are terrible as far as I am concerned with far too many routes in the one timetable and confusing cross references.
Living in the Shire.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Fleet Lists wrote:
gilberations wrote: This is what happens when your centralize timetable printing. Busways and CDC used to have the best and clearest timetables. It’s a shame they don’t anymore.
I agree with CDC but Busways are terrible as far as I am concerned with far too many routes in the one timetable and confusing cross references.

A big part of that is they’ve always tried to do a “trunk” timetable. Which does make some sense. Then you also get the sheer variety in alterations on their daily timetable, such as school diversions
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It is interesting to note that the latest Transport Info timetables show the actual names of the operators while the previous version just showed that the routes are being operated by Nightride.
Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Alright im home from a night out, nightride home.

I really want to reiterate, as a North Shore local, scrapping N90's short workings to Gordon on the weekends (they've done their last runs now) is a very shortsighted move. This is not going to go down well. Quite stealthy, but on Thursday-saturday night, those that live between Chatswood and Gordon (four stops, about 7km) just got hit with a frequency cut of 50%. Every half hour really did feel like a safety net. Lockouts are one thing, but do we really need to further be encouraged to not go out or catch a more expensive Uber or taxi? Not everyone gets off at Chatswood - I was on a short working tonight home and it was still decently full after that stop. Further, while N91 may supplement the N90 to Chatswood, because it goes through the Cross first, it'll likely also be decently filled up by the time it arrives at Town Hall before an ever-growing mob waiting to go home. On Fri/Sat night currently, whenever N90 begins a service Town Hall, (ie the bus is empty as it arrives at Town Hall), its often already standing room only by the time it reaches the first stop, Wynyard.

However, as I said on a different thread, I do acknowledge the merit that North Ryde and Macquarie Park will finally get a proper, dedicated night service, something which is long overdue.

N50 gets to keep its short workings to Strathfield I see though, I assume must be pretty well utilised (ie completely standing room only the entire way).
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

N40 also keeps its short workings to Lakemba. In the case of N90 theoretically the short workings are replaced by N91. If they kept them it would give extra services to stations to Chatswood so that is where the trade off is. There are only three stations covered by the short workings north of Chatswood.
You cant win them all.

And more on the timetables. Previously all Nightride timetables were grouped under operator number 92 which is dedicated to Nightride. That is still the case except that N20 which was operated by Punchbowl before and still is, is now grouped under 14 for Punchbowl.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I had not looked up new routes N 81 which is grouped under 13 - Hillsbus and N91 which is grouped under 16 - STA.
Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Fleet Lists wrote:N40 also keeps its short workings to Lakemba. In the case of N90 theoretically the short workings are replaced by N91. If they kept them it would give extra services to stations to Chatswood so that is where the trade off is. There are only three stations covered by the short workings north of Chatswood.
You cant win them all.

And more on the timetables. Previously all Nightride timetables were grouped under operator number 92 which is dedicated to Nightride. That is still the case except that N20 which was operated by Punchbowl before and still is, is now grouped under 14 for Punchbowl.
Well again, I barely see the point of the N91 supplementing N90 when half of the crowd at Town Hall will not be able to board the bus because it’s already filled up with revellers wanting to go from the Cross to the lower North Shore because lockouts or otherwise.

But anyways, there’s less than a week to go before this starts so let’s just see. I’m not confident really but I understand your point about not winning it all
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But then half the crowd at Town Hall these days are probably the people who have come from the Cross by other means, so the crowd at Town Hall could be reduced if these people get on the N91 at the Cross.
Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I don’t know why they are being so quiet but it seems like N100 has indeed been quietly been given the axe.

Try planning a trip from Bondi JN to Martin Place or Central from 1st March - and it doesn’t come up in the planner anymore, instead 380 with a transfer
745-Castle Hill
Favourite Vehicle: CDC CB30

Post by 745-Castle Hill »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/nig ... us-changes
NightRide bus changes

MONDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2018
Starting from 1 March, changes to NightRide services will be introduced, with new and extended routes to provide new travel options for customers travelling overnight.

Key changes to the Nightride network being introduced on 1 March include:

-Changes to route N20 (Riverwood to Rockdale), which will be extended to run to and from the Sydney CBD. This service will operate via Redfern, Green Square, Mascot and the International Terminal.
-Introduction of new route N81 from Sydney CBD to Parramatta, running via Rhodes, Wentworth Point and Sydney Olympic Park. This service will run Thursday to Saturday nights.
-Introduction of new route N91 from Bondi Junction to Macquarie Park via Sydney CBD and Chatswood. This will provide new overnight travel options for customers in the North Ryde and Macquarie Park areas. Route N91 will also replace the current route N100 service currently running on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
-Enhancement of existing route N71 to provide services between the Sydney CBD and Schofields seven days a week.
-Adjustments to timetables for other Nightride services.

For more information, plan your trip, use transport apps or check the new timetables.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

And a new network map to go with it -

https://transportnsw.info/document/1422 ... de_map.pdf

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”