Transdev Melbourne News 2018

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Craig

Re: Transdev Melbourne News 2018

Post by Craig »

Something else to consider is if any buses (other than the Plasmas) are too cost-prohibitive to repair following the TSV audits. Rather than spend big bucks on something with a only a few years left they may well be planning to replace a few lemons with the latest batch.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Post by JRBUS123 »

krustyklo wrote:
Does this mean some of the older Smartbuses will be scrapped? It doesn't seem a bad idea to do so but perhaps it would be better to put some of them on DART routes as well and get rid of some of the MAN Designline buses (the 600 range) as they can only carry 69 passenger or even some of the mercs that break down the most. In my opinion I don't think all new buses need to go on orbitals and should spread a bit (as heaps have been ordered anyway if you look at the Fleetlists 'To be Delivered' section). That is what I think though.
Based on what has been said previously, I'm guessing the idea is that the new buses will replace the Designlines and Mercs on the 903, cascading them to Doncaster routes (DART or other) in order to have them closer to home for TLC if needed (ie, Doncaster or North Fitzroy) and keep their kms down. I'd guess the orbitals are probably fairly intense for the vehicles being long routes where drivers are under pressure to keep time.

If any buses are to be removed entirely from the fleet, I'd be looking at the odds and sods buses inherited from Ventura (ie, the high floor Volgrens and other high floor buses). Whichever fleet is the most expensive to run and breakdown prone would presumably be next (ie, it may well be the early underpowered MANs may be next to be slowly cannibalised to keep the others running if the older low floor Mercedes buses are more reliable and less prone to heat exhaustion in summer).
With these buses heading onto 903, I’m guessing the current buses being used on this route will transfer depots? There’s already been a start. The ex-invicta seem to be more common on DART nowadays and I’m pretty sure this will be permanent once transfers have been completed. What more we could see the return of some ex-DART Scanias and MANS (both Custom) and even get the Merc 0500LE Volgrens which also stick on 903. I understand what you pointed out Krustyklo and again their plan is not a bad idea either. If they want to get rid of some Designlines or merc perhaps it would be helpful to think: Which ones cause the most breakdowns? Which buses have the most problems with their air conditioner and which ones are less reliable overall? They could keep some as backup too if they are removed from Smartbus service (this could help out with the current rail projects including the level crossing removal projects or even when another crisis occurs to minimise cancellations and perhaps not requiring to hire buses from other operators at all). I do hope some new buses do stick on DART (maybe at least 5-10) so that it can improve reliability and less breakdowns. Maybe every now and then mix them up so they can do both orbital and DART. Just a thought

Kind regards, JRBUS123
Last edited by JRBUS123 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

I caught a bubble SmartBus on the 907 from the city to Mitcham yesterday, usually the only bubble buses I find on the DART routes are the regular orange ones without the PIDs. I also caught non-SmartBus 922 (CB60 Evo II) on the 901 from Mitcham to Ringwood after getting off the former. I would have missed it if it wasn't four minutes late, as the 901 and 907 are not timed to meet up at Mitcham.
MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

Post by MAN 16.242 »

Getting rid of some older buses be ok i.e high floors. But getting rid of early low floors would just cause issues as normal fleet shortages would not be fixed. With fair few new buses comming this is an opportunity to fix this issue.

At moment it's planned some older buses will became part of rail fleet. Ideally it be good do as they do with 2nd hand purchases and use them on school runs to help cover the shortages.
l
NOTE: I'm talk about normal fleet shortages which been on going and the fleet crisis.
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

Taking a look at fleetlists
The 903 started with 59 buses
- 19 Designline 'orbitors/citybus'(the flat bodies),31 Designline 'bubbles' and 9 Mercs(Custom '550')
The 901/2 began with
- 62 Volvo's, 8 Merc's and 8/9 Scania's Volgrens
Transdev has since transferred to orbitals from DART
-25 Scania K230UB/Custom Evo2, 5 CB80/MAN's and 2 MB OH1830LE/Custom Evo2
And with new new deliveries to Transdev allocated to orbitals
- 15 Scania K280UB/Gemilang's, 12 Scania K310UB/Volgren Optimus and 30 Scania K310UB/Gemilang's(being delivered)

Considering the amount of new buses Transdev has allocated to orbitals( enough to replace just about all original 903 buses), would it be likely the DART buses transferred to orbital be returned to Doncaster? or retained on orbitals (that would suggest Transdev needs more vehicles than the previous operator on all three orbitals). I suspect the remaining high floors and odd units to be retired, but doubt any of the oldest low floors (like the MB O405NH units as they have had loop barriers fitted recently) as Transdev needs every bus available considering their maintenance 'programme'.

On another note, sighted a new Gemilang unit today on the 902, the black accents around the headlights look better.
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

BluDART wrote:Considering the amount of new buses Transdev has allocated to orbitals( enough to replace just about all original 903 buses), would it be likely the DART buses transferred to orbital be returned to Doncaster? or retained on orbitals (that would suggest Transdev needs more vehicles than the previous operator on all three orbitals).
All Orbitals need more buses than previous operators. As new buses enter service some Scania or Volvo B7RLEs will go to DART and then some buses off DART to track runs to help with fleet shortage.
BluDART wrote: I suspect the remaining high floors and odd units to be retired, but doubt any of the oldest low floors (like the MB O405NH units as they have had loop barriers fitted recently) as Transdev needs every bus available considering their maintenance 'programme'.
That's a good point but fleet shortages started well before last year fleet crisis. Main reason for shortages is most buses in past were a 1 for 1 replacment than extras. So naturally as peak fleet requirment grew so did the shortages.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

So they have a bus shortage to go with a driver shortage to go with a timetable shortage. No wonder Melbourne's public transport is broken.

Can't they buy a few of Ventura's old L113CRLs/L94UBs to make do for now? Ventura are already throwing away low floors like they are out of style while other operators are still running high floors as long as it is a bus that works, I wouldn't be surprised if Ventura's Northcoast fleet are the next to go once they have retired the CR221Ls, or the first of the CB60s (pre C-Max).
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Considering the amount of new buses Transdev has allocated to orbitals( enough to replace just about all original 903 buses), would it be likely the DART buses transferred to orbital be returned to Doncaster? or retained on orbitals (that would suggest Transdev needs more vehicles than the previous operator on all three orbitals).
I suspect Transdev need more buses on the orbitals than Ventura / Grenda / Invicta due to the extra time added to improve timekeeping with their first timetable revision. To be fair that is one thing Transdev got right, although it now means in summer when the traffic is quiet there is way too much time. A recent trip from Keon Park station had the 2.52pm arrive 3 minutes early, we then arrived and waited 6 minutes at Bundoora, then arrived at Greensborough shops at 3.20pm (scheduled 3.31pm). A whopping 20 minutes waiting time from departing Campbellfield and arriving at Greensborough. And whilst the bus wasn't dragging the road, it wasn't exactly racing to the next timepoint either! I would suggest an instant cost cutting measure would be to implement a summer timetable for 4 weeks after Christmas that maintains the same level of service but judiciously removes some of the running time. Even if only 45 minutes can be removed from the run from one end to the other, there's 6 shifts and buses not needed. As Transdev have not all that long left, I doubt the numbers would stack up now to make such a significant undertaking - but a longer term view of letting contracts could make these sorts of decisions financially worthwhile for everyone - passengers included if you allow that time = money.
I suspect the remaining high floors and odd units to be retired, but doubt any of the oldest low floors (like the MB O405NH units as they have had loop barriers fitted recently) as Transdev needs every bus available considering their maintenance 'programme'.
I suspect the false economy of cheaping out on maintenance means the older buses will be kept as spares to cover for higher rates of failure as you and others have suggested. I even wouldn't be surprised if the older high floors are kept somewhere just in case for the same reason given their scrap / resale value would be bugger all and there'd likely be some space at one of the new depots to hide them up the back somewhere.

To keep with observations, 135 and 136 were on the 902 today, and 142 was on the 901.
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

Heihachi_73 wrote: Can't they buy a few of Ventura's old L113CRLs/L94UBs to make do for now? Ventura are already throwing away low floors like they are out of style while other operators are still running high floors as long as it is a bus that works, I wouldn't be surprised if Ventura's Northcoast fleet are the next to go once they have retired the CR221Ls, or the first of the CB60s (pre C-Max).
There are definitely a few suggestions that Transdev could buy if they consider if they decide to do 2nd hand purchases. I agree that buying some of those L113CRLs and L94UBs from Ventura would be handy and probably would be the best operator to buy from overall considering the amount of new buses Ventura seem to be buying lately. As well as that they could suggest buying from other operators like for instance the Dineen Group (which Transdev bought two CR221Ls from which was a good buy) or even Dysons. They seem to sell pretty decent models including some that could last another few years. There's no point in buying anymore high floors I do have to say though as Transdev might have problems with operating them (except perhaps for the Northcoast buses perhaps)

Asides from that, I got to spot a few of the new Gemilangs. In fact yesterday spotted 139 on route 902. Really like the new destos that have been appearing on the new buses and easier to read than other destos. I believe some of the Custom Scania Evo-II buses have the same Hanover desto as the new batch too. In my view the white LED Hanover destos are better

Kind regards, JRBUS123
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Any desto is better than the green flip-dot ones, the destos in the Merc 550s (SmartBuses at that) are the worst by far.
CAL

Post by CAL »

380126 broken down (graffitied to hell inside too) at crn Keon Parade/Dalton Rd Chelsea bound 902. Kicked Off and put on next service.
philm
Favourite Vehicle: A-class tram

Post by philm »

Another breakdown last night, #904 running route 905 at Warrandyte Bridge terminus. Ran out of fuel again.
scott

Post by scott »

philm wrote:Another breakdown last night, #904 running route 905 at Warrandyte Bridge terminus. Ran out of fuel again.
Epic fail. They must of not fully filled the tank, or someone forgot to refuel it and it went unnoticed. Time for an investigation into refuelling practices.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

It can't be that hard !!!
scott

Post by scott »

Seen in the past 2 days were two instances of the new Gemilangs needing attention by the On Road Response vans, both times it was the near side mirror that was at fault and it was being tightened.

I would think these things should of been addressed in pre service checks.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Those keeping tabs on the new arrivals, #137 & #138 are now noted in service.

Kind Regards

Craig

Post by Craig »

New unit #134 seen running Route 902 yesterday afternoon (31/1)

Kind Regards

krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

The 6.46pm route 901 from Greensborough station to Epping tonight was operated by 701, a low floor Mercedes.
CrowdedHouse

Post by CrowdedHouse »

For the 2nd year running, Transdev have done it again... they've scrapped services along Barkly Street during the St Kilda Festival.

Worse, PTV have wrongly posted on their site that stops along Glenhuntly Road are still being serviced. Already had to tell one family and one senior waiting at stops they were wasting their time.
miclementson

Post by miclementson »

In recent months it appears the 901 has more PTV Livery Buses operating than those in the Silver SmartBus Livery. Is this no longer a requirement of the PTV for Smartbus Routes to use the Silver Livery. I understand on occasion it might happen; but it appears to much more than short term. Most of these PTV Livery buses are newer, and have been operating for some months.
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

miclementson wrote:In recent months it appears the 901 has more PTV Livery Buses operating than those in the Silver SmartBus Livery. Is this no longer a requirement of the PTV for Smartbus Routes to use the Silver Livery. I understand on occasion it might happen; but it appears to much more than short term. Most of these PTV Livery buses are newer, and have been operating for some months.
These PTV livery vehicles you speak of finding are purposely used for route 901 (and route 902 as well) but instead have not been painted in Smartbus livery (they are very common to find). Most of the new buses bought have got the equipment such as the PIDS. I don't think it depends on the livery that much just as long as the bus has the smartbus equipment installed. There will be plenty more PTV vehicles along the way as newer vehicles enter service as these will be destined for the Orbitals rather than other areas of the Transdev network. Once all have been entered some of the buses in the smartbus livery currently operating the 901 and 902 will probably transfer either to route 903 or to DART.

Kind regards, JRBUS123
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

High floor bus 23 has had its myki equipment removed saw in service today running 281. My guess is that it will either transfer to rail replacement or will go the scrap yard. Probably similar stories to #32, #71 and #323 as well.
Kind regards, JRBUS123
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

JRBUS123 wrote:High floor bus 23 has had its myki equipment removed saw in service today running 281. My guess is that it will either transfer to rail replacement or will go the scrap yard. Probably similar stories to #32, #71 and #323 as well.
Kind regards, JRBUS123
323 is already withdrawn
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Saw a SmartBus and a CR222L running on route 380 at Ringwood East today but didn't get either number.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Not my sighting, but Transdev #152 (Scania K310UB/Gemilang) was spotted on a 273 service this afternoon.

Meanwhile, #140 has been added to the fleet list as delivered and active.

Kind Regards

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”