NSW Railway Observations - January to June 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
swtt

Re: NSW Railway Observations - January to June 2018

Post by swtt »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Really strange all the information on transportnsw.info says trains were supposed to stop running around 9pm tonight but there are still trains running now at 11:30pm
TfNSW's website updating wasn't as fast as Sydney Trains deciding to run two more hours.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

swtt wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:Really strange all the information on transportnsw.info says trains were supposed to stop running around 9pm tonight but there are still trains running now at 11:30pm
TfNSW's website updating wasn't as fast as Sydney Trains deciding to run two more hours.
Some additional trains to assist customers get home, but managed live I would hazard reliant on train crew going overtime.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Yes but not very often and rather sparse.

As at 8.30am Monday this link was still live:
https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/upd ... ial-action

with this interesting recommendation:
Don’t travel unless you have to after 9pm.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Presumably, trains would be starting to stop running about 9 pm, but it could take a lot longer for them to finish their runs and get to their required bases.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Hmpf. Trains seemed perfectly normally fine to me this morning. I didn't see any cancellations on T1 North Shore.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Wait till around lunch time when drivers start running out of hours.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Hmpf. Trains seemed perfectly normally fine to me this morning. I didn't see any cancellations on T1 North Shore.
You've learnt not to trust the media which was busy saying through most outlets that the world was about to fall to pieces as soon as a train entered service.

Are we in the middle of a major anti-PT campaign by media outlets, or aren't there any reporters left who can do anything other than a parrot fashion repeat of what someone else says?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

T3 Bankstown & T8 Airport & South Line - Delays
UPDATED 29 Jan 11:23

Details
Allow additional travel time due to a medical emergency at Town Hall earlier. Listen to announcements and check indicator boards as stopping patterns may change.
Living in the Shire.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

I observed a man taking downblouse photos of women and some photos of children with blatant full zoom aboard Carriage 1551 on the T2 this evening and i was shocked that when i told the conductor and the platform staff at central they didnt care. he took photos at both Museum and Central
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Channel 9's news had a report tonight about the amount of delays caused by people running for closing doors - I think they quoted something like 6 hours of delays caused by people trying to hold open the closing doors. The story had interviews with both Constance and Howard who said something like train doors aren't elevator doors, but most of the CCTV footage they showed was quite old as the platforms had old branding and the old blue/yellow indicator screens.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Stonesourscotty wrote:I observed a man taking downblouse photos of women and some photos of children with blatant full zoom aboard Carriage 1551 on the T2 this evening and i was shocked that when i told the conductor and the platform staff at central they didnt care. he took photos at both Museum and Central
In such situations you should contact Transport Security direct on 1800 657 926
@ The Museum of Fire.
nathan1987

Post by nathan1987 »

Random question - What actually happened to T106 after it went in for the upgrades. It hasn't come back onto the network and it has been a while since it went UGL at Auburn.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Interesting trackwork on the T8 South Line this weekend, trains won't be running between the City and Macathur via Airport and K2RQ tracks between 7am-9pm Saturday and 7am-6pm on Sunday.

Instead they will run via Sydenham express to Revesby then all stops to Macarthur departing from Central(i). Revesby terminating services appear have been extended to end at Leppington.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

andy_centralcoast

boxythingy wrote:Interesting trackwork on the T8 South Line this weekend, trains won't be running between the City and Macathur via Airport and K2RQ tracks between 7am-9pm Saturday and 7am-6pm on Sunday.

Instead they will run via Sydenham express to Revesby then all stops to Macarthur departing from Central(i). Revesby terminating services appear have been extended to end at Leppington.
Schofields starters are terminating at Central(i) and looks like some T4 services also stopping at Erskinville and St Peters, and some T3 Lidcombe to Sydenham shuttles.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

boxythingy wrote:Interesting trackwork on the T8 South Line this weekend, trains won't be running between the City and Macathur via Airport and K2RQ tracks between 7am-9pm Saturday and 7am-6pm on Sunday.

The City Circle is closed in both directions this weekend, Feb 3 & 4.

To maintain a service on the Airport Line the only access open to Central is Platform 23.
With 8 trains normally tabled to travel in each direction on the Airport Line, it would be difficult to turn trains around on Platform 23 and maintain the Timetable.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

andy_centralcoast wrote: Schofields starters are terminating at Central(i) and looks like some T4 services also stopping at Erskinville and St Peters, and some T3 Lidcombe to Sydenham shuttles.
This weekend, Feb 3 & 4, Bankstown Line services Terminate at Sydenham due to the closure of the City Circle Line (both directions), hence some T4 services have been tabled to stop at Erskineville and St Peters (for the greater part of the day: 2 Cronulla and 2 Waterfall services, each hour).

Also, this weekend, Granville to Casula, and Sefton to Cabramatta, is closed.
The Schofield services have been diverted to replace the Leppington via Granville services.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

It's very weird being on a millennium using platform 5 at sydenham then platform 1 at redfern. And yet t8 towards sydenham are non stop through redfern.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Scott4570 wrote:To maintain a service on the Airport Line the only access open to Central is Platform 23.
With 8 trains normally tabled to travel in each direction on the Airport Line, it would be difficult to turn trains around on Platform 23 and maintain the Timetable.
Don't 22 / 23 have crossovers (both ways) between the platforms and the tunnel?
Glen

Post by Glen »

gld59 wrote:
Scott4570 wrote:To maintain a service on the Airport Line the only access open to Central is Platform 23.
Don't 22 / 23 have crossovers (both ways) between the platforms and the tunnel?
No, only a facing crossover, a long way back in the tunnel.

See:
https://railsafe.org.au/diagrams/driver ... e-diagrams
andy_centralcoast

T8 from Sydney Terminal to Macarthur got diverted to Strathfield and Olympic Park before returning to Central and continuing to Macarthur via Airport.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

It would be very difficult to have more than 4tph on the Airport Line when terminating at Central P23 with the crossover in the tunnel & when travelling along platform 23 the train is going at walking pace. The only way I can think of increasing trains is having a 3 min dwell time at Central p23.

Noticed on the platform 6 PID at Town Hall that Macathur via Airport trains were departing from p23. I guess the PID couldn’t display that some trains were leaving of the intercity platforms & p23 to Leppington.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I wonder what the track occupation requirements are for the City Circle?

Would it be possible for Airport trains to arrive on 20/21, then with a relay driver in the rear, reverse on the crossover down towards Goulburn St, back up to 23?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

boronia wrote:I wonder what the track occupation requirements are for the City Circle?

Would it be possible for Airport trains to arrive on 20/21, then with a relay driver in the rear, reverse on the crossover down towards Goulburn St, back up to 23?
It is positive when taxpayer costs from infrastructure maintenance can be minimised by removing the need for relay and other resource requirements required to terminate services and shunt across in quick time frames. Plus much cleaner with no delays for Airport services from many operational issues which tend to result from those moves.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

gld59 wrote:Don't 22 / 23 have crossovers (both ways) between the platforms and the tunnel?
Just to clarify further as to the question above.

Up Airport Line Trains, shortly before they exit the Tunnel from Green Square, (using the Link to the Diagram provided by Glen) can cross to the Down Airport Line and then, under normal operating conditions, enter Platform 22 or 23 at Central and Terminate.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”