Opal Card Fare Issues

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Opal Card Fare Issues

Post by Fleet Lists »

And even the High Court judges often do not agree.
Living in the Shire.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Yeah I've been given completely different answers from station staff, bus marshals, 13 OPAL and 131 500.

Berowra station was comical. The first person I asked wasn't sure so he radioed the question to ask other staff. 2 people replied each with opposite answers.

At Gordon station the CSA was trying to be helpful, he even accessed a special staff reference guide about the Hornsby shutdown arrangements on his phone that supposedly had detailed information. Unfortunately nothing about Opal.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Unfortunately nothing about Opal.
Probably because it is no different to any other rail shutdown - but that does not solve the problem.
Living in the Shire.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

below section was not part of the original content on this page https://transportnsw.info/news/2017/new ... e-services until some people identified it on social media channels:
Peak and off peak

Peak and off peak times for Opal fares are not changing on 26 November.

The peak times described on pink signs relate to train timetable planning and are outlined to help customers understand the new timetable.

Find out more about Opal peak and off peak fare times.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

The raw figures here: http://www.smh.com.au/cqstatic/h0gp9w/I ... change.pdf

The graph shows 'price per trip' and 'average weekly fare' has gradually increased since the fare structure changes.

Doesn't say whether this includes concession Opals in the average, as I imagine free trips on the Gold Opal would help to bring that figure down considerably.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

It's weird that it is gradually increasing.
I'd have thought a single step up then relatively flat, saved for variations around holiday periods
(Unless the chart is a rolling 12-mth average reported weekly?)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It does say it is 12 months rolling. (Editing since initial post).

When you consider that the average fare is only $2.32 I suspect Gold Card free trips are included.

An increase from 2.20 to 2.32 over the period which starts in November 2016 is about 5.5 per cent but because it is rolling there would be some impact from the restructuring in September 2016. It is noticed that the increase levels off at the beginning of September 2017 when the impact of the restructure would no longer be felt.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:at a bus stops that the bus route doesn't even go pass & that my tap on was get this - about 6 km away from where I really got on at!, And the "standard reply" excuses that Opal uses :roll: ! What if an inspector got on & he claims I didn't tap on when I did?
It was over 6km away, & my activity statement claimed I tapped on AND off at the same stop. But shouldn't that show "Tap on reversal"? And as stated, the bus route doesn't even serve that bus stop.

And for others, my activity statement says that I tapped on & off at the same stop on the bus I did catch, but was this far out. Tapped on at Glendale. Real stop I tapped on at Kotara, 6.2 km away in a straight line!

Was told for many of my errors "Yes but the GPS signal has to catch up to the bus" or "But it's due to rough roads". There was one time, when they at first refused to refund a double fare. I got the overcharged part refunded thankfully.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Got overcharged big time today and got a $9.13 fare adjustment after calling Opal.
Attachments
adjustment.jpg
adjustment.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 7244 times
andy_centralcoast

An online petition has been set up, pointing to Howard Collins’ 2013 interview promising refunds for extended delays.

In an interview with Seven News in 2013, Mr Collins said the upcoming Opal card would make it easier for customers to get a refund if the network experiences delays.

“People have had a delayed journey, we can automatically refund their journey on the tube and I think that will be a thing for Sydney to look forward to,” he said at the time.

Prior to the removal of paper tickets, Sydney Trains staff were able to provide free tickets to customers who had made a formal complaint about delays or cancellations.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

rogf24 wrote:Got overcharged big time today and got a $9.13 fare adjustment after calling Opal.
Big amount. What caused it?
Newcastle Flyer

moa999 wrote:
rogf24 wrote:Big amount. What caused it?
It's NSW & you're asking what caused it?? :?: :!: :mrgreen:
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:It's NSW & you're asking what caused it?? :?: :!: :mrgreen:
I have NEVER had Opal overcharge me except for one partial self-inflicted incident with a bus reader where I accidentally tagged on immediately after tagging off.

Bus Opal losing geo-location usually results in an undercharge, not an overcharge.

Train and ferry fares have always been 100% correct for me. Or correct as far as Opal is concerned, a few times I think the fare policy is wrong, but that's not actually Opal's fault, it just implements the broken policy.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

I was on a bus from Green Square to Matraville. The Opal system seemed to be cutting in and out. Like the GPS on it was fine but at every third stop all the readers wouldn't work it would be in please wait or closed mode but the driver console looked normal & then readers manage to reset themselves back to normal.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Made a trip with a few transfers that didn't register as transfers even though I tapped off so got default fared and no transfer fare reductions. There was even an auto top-up done when I tapped off at one place but somehow didn't tap off so default fare.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Watched an old guy get on the bus the other day. He had a plastic wallet that looked like it had a few old PETs in it, one was clearly visible. He tapped the Opal reader with this PET, and went and got a seat. :P :P
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Newcastle Flyer

When did the Opal discount start after the 9th trip, not the 8th trip? And is the 9th trip the last before any discount?
White lives matter too.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It starts after 8 journeys and NOT 8 trips as a journey may consist of a number of trips ie a bus trip and a train trip where the transfer took place within a certain time, counts as one journey.

https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/b ... opal-card/ still states 8 journeys. The discount starts on the 9th journey.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

I know how it calculate it but, if it's still from the 9th trip, then I may have again been overcharged. Sure the overcharging (if any) may not be much, but can add up.
White lives matter too.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

No it is not from the 9th trip but from the 9th journey.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

This time a 10 km error. I tapped on about 10 km AFTER where it said I tapped on. In the same error "Tap on reversal" from Point A to Point B.
How can it show "Tap on reversal" from Point A to Point B?

Tap on reversal should only be at the same stop.

I wonder what the real rate of errors are, as most people would think that it is accurate.
White lives matter too.
Glen

Post by Glen »

rogf24 wrote:Made a trip with a few transfers that didn't register as transfers even though I tapped off so got default fared and no transfer fare reductions.
I've had that a couple of times, or single journeys with tap off not registered resulting in default fare.

If I've noticed, I reported it, not so much for the money but to make them aware, and they refund me.

I've had a trip register a tap on and tap off nowhere near where I caught the bus, as if the machine was 'stuck' at an earlier point in its journey.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Tap on Reversal is simple.
GPS is simply not working, driver isn't manually advancing the stops, just tapping to wake at each stop.
I suspect the online record will show route start point - route start point
Newcastle Flyer

moa999 wrote:Tap on Reversal is simple.
GPS is simply not working, driver isn't manually advancing the stops, just tapping to wake at each stop.
I suspect the online record will show route start point - route start point
At moa999, it didn't show route starting, it was a stop well after the route starting point.

I'm just wondering now if Opal is one of the most inaccurate systems (good idea though, but) No one that checks there statement would now if it's a mistake or not.
White lives matter too.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”