[Jan/Feb 2018] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Re: [Jan/Feb 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by mmosca447 »

Eagle Eye wrote:Maybe use private messages for this sort of conversation between two users? The observations thread will be tied up with anything but.
I’ve figured it out now so no more two-person messages :)
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Outer Harbor and Grange trains will resume from first service Monday 15 January 2018, with train services being free for two weeks; until 28 January.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... nuary-2018
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

Transport Minister Mullighan stated on Fiveaa with Matthew Pantelis this morning that the Department would be releasing in a few weeks a proposed new timetable for the Outer Harbor/Grange lines(with some changes to stopping patterns) for Public Consultation and feedback.
He hoped that subject to any necessary changes it would be implemented in May 2018.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

jibb wrote:Transport Minister Mullighan stated on Fiveaa with Matthew Pantelis this morning that the Department would be releasing in a few weeks a proposed new timetable for the Outer Harbor/Grange lines(with some changes to stopping patterns) for Public Consultation and feedback.
He hoped that subject to any necessary changes it would be implemented in May 2018.
How come the public aren't asked to provide feedback regarding bus timetables before they are released? Many of them have 10 minutes+ excess running time in my opinion.

The train (and tram) sub timetables are an absolute disgrace. No wonder passengers from the Entertainment Centre tend to fill up H1s which is timetabled to take under 15 minutes to the city compared to 22 minutes for tram subs (even at 10PM) just to get from 2 Port Rd to E2 Currie St. No consideration whatsoever for the drivers who have to sit at stops for ages, and the traveling commuters.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

My rant on the AdelaideMetro Facebook page this morning. It will not get followed up I gather.

I wish to make a public complaint about your services on Sunday 14/01/18 and the poor service given by your Information Line on 15/01/18. I caught the 265 that left Glenelg at 9:07pm last night towards the city, which then changed to a 253 towards Arndale. I was to remain on this bus until Arndale, and then transfer to a 251, which is timetabled to connect with the bus from the city. At stop 1, outside Adelaide Oval, around 12-15 passengers were allowed to get on the bus without paying or validating a ticket. This was unchallenged by the driver. But, my outrage came later. Scheduled to arrive at Arndale at 9:54pm, we arrived no later that 10:00pm to find that the connecting 251, timetabled to leave Arndale at 9:56pm, had already commenced its run. I was sitting at the very front of the bus all trip with no headphones in. There was no radio contact made with the driver of my 253 to see if there were any transferring passengers. It just left Arndale at its allotted time without waiting for the city connection. I questioned the Information Line this morning about this and was told that while it should have waited, it does not have to wait for the bus from the city, as it could effect other runs it may have to do. I had to ring Morphetville Depot to ensure a bus came to pick the passengers up so we did not have to wait 30 minutes at Arndale for the next service. I find this appalling. Leaving passengers stranded. Not checking how far away the city bus was. And the rudeness of your phone operator this morning not to listen to my reasoning, but to continually "toe the line" that you cant have a bus run late so you inconvenience other passengers. The 251 would have left Arndale 4 minutes late! And at 10:00pm on a Sunday night, that time would have easily been caught up. Many times I have caught buses at night where they crawl along, wait at timed stops for a few minutes or just deliberately run late so they don't have to crawl along the road at 40km/h. I apologise for calling your operator a name that I cannot repeat on this post, but he had no interest in listening to reason, but continued to justify why a bus could not wait for a connection that is written in the timetable. And, what can be done about passengers blatantly walking on to a bus without any intention to pay a fare? If I did that I would be questioned why I am not paying.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

bigrobbo wrote:My rant on the AdelaideMetro Facebook page this morning. It will not get followed up I gather.

I wish to make a public complaint about your services on Sunday 14/01/18 and...
I once had a very rude reply from an info line worker over this consistent laziness with the DPTI related to the lack of a Metro Card daily cap.

I managed to hold in my reaction, but I think their motto is "I work for a government department, so I'm invincible. Don't challenge me, or....." . Who on earth do I report that to?

I wish they would grow a brain instead of trying to forge every cent out of unsuspecting customers. I wonder how extra revenue they get per year due to the aforementioned issue. I even emailed the rail commissioner over it, and no reply. I'm probably the only one who's noticed how annoying it is to be overcharged simply because the system is stuffed up. I know I've mentioned this several times in the last couple of months, but I just wanted to compare my experience regarding feedback to bigrobbo's.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

bigrobbo wrote:My rant on the AdelaideMetro Facebook page this morning. It will not get followed up I gather.

I wish to make a public complaint about your services on Sunday 14/01/18 and the poor service given by your Information Line on 15/01/18. I caught the 265 that left Glenelg at 9:07pm last night towards the city, which then changed to a 253 towards Arndale. I was to remain on this bus until Arndale, and then transfer to a 251, which is timetabled to connect with the bus from the city. At stop 1, outside Adelaide Oval, around 12-15 passengers were allowed to get on the bus without paying or validating a ticket. This was unchallenged by the driver. But, my outrage came later. Scheduled to arrive at Arndale at 9:54pm, we arrived no later that 10:00pm to find that the connecting 251, timetabled to leave Arndale at 9:56pm, had already commenced its run. I was sitting at the very front of the bus all trip with no headphones in. There was no radio contact made with the driver of my 253 to see if there were any transferring passengers. It just left Arndale at its allotted time without waiting for the city connection. I questioned the Information Line this morning about this and was told that while it should have waited, it does not have to wait for the bus from the city, as it could effect other runs it may have to do. I had to ring Morphetville Depot to ensure a bus came to pick the passengers up so we did not have to wait 30 minutes at Arndale for the next service. I find this appalling. Leaving passengers stranded. Not checking how far away the city bus was. And the rudeness of your phone operator this morning not to listen to my reasoning, but to continually "toe the line" that you cant have a bus run late so you inconvenience other passengers. The 251 would have left Arndale 4 minutes late! And at 10:00pm on a Sunday night, that time would have easily been caught up. Many times I have caught buses at night where they crawl along, wait at timed stops for a few minutes or just deliberately run late so they don't have to crawl along the road at 40km/h. I apologise for calling your operator a name that I cannot repeat on this post, but he had no interest in listening to reason, but continued to justify why a bus could not wait for a connection that is written in the timetable. And, what can be done about passengers blatantly walking on to a bus without any intention to pay a fare? If I did that I would be questioned why I am not paying.
The 253 should just continue as a 251 to Arndale at night and 251 continue as 253
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Some do and some don’t. Some drivers make you get off at the 253 terminus. It’s hit and miss really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Your critiscm of that is completely justified bigrobbo.That connection should be guaranteed ,regardless of whether the first bus is late.Without the 251,the 253 would most likely be almost empty ,especially that time of night.Confidence that the service is a guaranteed connection is so important to the pax.Without that they'll just drive.It's not hard for drivers to use their 2 way radios.
jibb

Post by jibb »

King William Road is closed from 500pm tonight because of the Tour Down Under .,So 200 buses will be detoured,although this one is a bit off course.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Light City Buses MAN NL 202 1346 and 1348 are in the workshops being prepared to leave Morphettville Depot bound for Sims Metal(1347 has been preserved).
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

jibb wrote:King William Road is closed from 500pm tonight because of the Tour Down Under .,So 200 buses will be detoured,although this one is a bit off course.
I must be tired. I read that as King William Rd as being outside The Festival Centre.

I thought Jibb had counted the amount of buses being detoured! ImageImage

jibb

Post by jibb »

Just to confuse you King William Road also runs from Greenhill Road to Northgate Street Unley park(Routes 200,200b,200c)
jibb

Post by jibb »

Report about an hour ago that an O-Bahn bus had broken down in the new tunnel and was having trouble trying to talk to his base on the phone.Passengers not too happy with temperature hovering around 37 degrees.
flaneur

Post by flaneur »

With regards to the new O Bahn Tunnel can't understand why they didn't continue the tunnel entrance after East Terrace. Standing at the intersection recently it was obvious that the O Bahn buses had the least priority, all thanks to a car loving Council
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:Report about an hour ago that an O-Bahn bus had broken down in the new tunnel and was having trouble trying to talk to his base on the phone.Passengers not too happy with temperature hovering around 37 degrees.
That report was incorrect. No buses broke down in the tunnel. One broke down on Hackney Rd before the tunnel and obviously didn't use the tunnel.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

TA3001 wrote:How come the public aren't asked to provide feedback regarding bus timetables before they are released? Many of them have 10 minutes+ excess running time in my opinion.
There is no upside to this. If running times were reduced it would result in more services being classed as late and PTD slapping late running penalties on the operating company concerned. I'd say that at least 50% of the time a bus runs late it's due to circumstances outside our control such as accidents, roadworks, heavy traffic, school moms clogging up the road, heavy loading or any number of other things. Having the excess time built in gives us an opportunity to make up lost time.

Also what do you mean in your other post when you refer to a daily cap on Metrocards?
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Re the daily cap: Basically imagine that a whole day of travel with a Metrocard would be limited to the price of a Daytrip ticket. As it stands currently, a Metrocard can be more expensive than a Daytrip ticket when using it to travel for the entire day. Most, if not all other states already have a daily cap on their transport smart cards, I don't see why it can't be implemented here... Aside from the government potentially losing money.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

A pantograph has snapped off a tram just west of Glengowrie Depot. Trams from the city terminating at Morphett Rd with Torrens Transit providing substitute buses to Glenelg. Normally Light-City Buses do this part of the tramline but with Torrens Transit operating Victoria Square to the Entertainment Centre at the moment they must have been asked to run the other end of the line as well.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Maybe LCB couldn't round up any spare drivers.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eagle Eye wrote:A pantograph has snapped off a tram just west of Glengowrie Depot. Trams from the city terminating at Morphett Rd with Torrens Transit providing substitute buses to Glenelg. Normally Light-City Buses do this part of the tramline but with Torrens Transit operating Victoria Square to the Entertainment Centre at the moment they must have been asked to run the other end of the line as well.
Went by a while ago -lots of yellow/orange jackets inspecting. I/2 pantograph was tangled in the overhead(obviously the remainder still on tram which had been towed into the depot). Took about 1/2 an hour to untangle and straightened overhead and replace damaged brackets..
Bus substitute not very good,only running with 2 buses every 20 minutes with trams every 10 minutes.Passengers where ushered into coolness of Tram office.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

Eurostar wrote:

The 253 should just continue as a 251 to Arndale at night and 251 continue as 253
Just following the same routes tonight on MetroMATE.

The 253 runs “not in service” to start a 235. The 251 turns around straight away to a 251A to Arndale.

jibb

Post by jibb »

Unfortunately the late night timetabling of buses by Light City Buses is not about the passengers, but logistics. Its more about making sure its buses(and drivers) end up close to their home depot so they don't end up doing long 'not in service" runs from one side of the City to the other site to get to their depot.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:Unfortunately the late night timetabling of buses by Light City Buses is not about the passengers, but logistics. Its more about making sure its buses(and drivers) end up close to their home depot so they don't end up doing long 'not in service" runs from one side of the City to the other site to get to their depot.
And Torrens Transit or SouthLink have late night special running from one side of the city to the other? I don't think so. SouthLink next to never and Torrens Transit rarely. Light-City Buses are the same.
jibb

Post by jibb »

I never commented on those 2 as I was well aware that neither of them did that.My comments relate to big robbos comments and reasons for the movements he referred to re 251/253 buses.
A couple of years ago LCB had some late buses doing long distance NIS!

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”